Boot trouble, no hfs boot ...

Post by Joris P » Thu, 26 Apr 2001 16:50:17

Hi !

I think I've done something stupid:

- installed Suse Linux PPC
- deleted all partitions and replaced them by a linux-swap + native with
Suse Linux on

Result: the ? appears on booting, and that's it.

Does anyone knows a solution ? (bootable cd e.g.) And where to download it ?

Many thanks in advance !

Joris

P.S. I have no MacOS on CD, my PPC is a G3 IceCube, MacOS was installed on
it, no MacOS CD delivered.

Boot trouble, no hfs boot ...

Post by Eric Deveau » Thu, 26 Apr 2001 17:10:45

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, it was written:

Quote:> Hi !

> I think I've done something stupid:

> - installed Suse Linux PPC
> - deleted all partitions and replaced them by a linux-swap + native with
> Suse Linux on

nothing stupid on that.

Quote:> Result: the ? appears on booting, and that's it.

configure yaboot.conf, run mkofboot (the first time) after use ybin
see
<URL:http://www.veryComputer.com/~erbenson/>
specialy the mac-fdisk and ybin sections

Quote:> Does anyone knows a solution ? (bootable cd e.g.) And where to download it ?

the suse cd isn't bootable.

NB yaboot allow you to boot directly the kernel you've installed.
at boot prompt
use the following command
hd:XX,/boot/vmlinux-yyy root=</ linux_device_number>

where XX is the OF number of your linux root partition.

        Eric

--
 MA QUESTION EST LA SUIVANTE:
 quelqu'un aurait-il un login et mot de passe a me preter

Boot trouble, no hfs boot ...

Post by n!?c » Thu, 26 Apr 2001 17:58:14

The only thing you could do I think: Boot from Mac OS CD. You need 3
partitions. 1 for Mac Os (the System) 1 for Linux Swap and 1 for linux root.
Reinstall your Mac Os, from where you can boot linux either with yaboot or
bootx.
As far as I know, every Mac is delivered with OS CD,. If you dont' have you
prbably do best by buing one.
nicck

Quote:> Hi !

?

> Many thanks in advance !

> Joris

> P.S. I have no MacOS on CD, my PPC is a G3 IceCube, MacOS was installed on
> it, no MacOS CD delivered.

1. Trouble booting with loadlin from win98's boot.ini !

Hi!
I have tried using the following setup, with win98, win2000 and Linux
Mandrake as multiboot system.
(I tried Lilo, and didnt like it: when I should use windows I had to type
"windows", and then I could choose between win98 and win2000; but there is
probably also a better way for this)

boot.ini:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=C:\
[operating systems]
C:\="Microsoft Windows"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional" /fastdetect
C:\Linux.bat="Linux Mandrake"

C:\Linux.bat:
loadlin.exe vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7 ro

loadlin.exe and vmlinuz is in C:\

The Problem: When "Linux Mandrake" is choosen, it just dont start. What's
wrong?
It would be nice if anybody could point to what is wrong.

Thanks in advance

Best Regards: Jacob Eskildsen

2. MIDI Sequencer

3. diskless boot hit error while booting kernel, cannot find boot device, dhcp problem?

4. Where is the history stored (bash)?

5. LILO saved boot file /boot/boot.0301

6. PPP SETUP 2.1.2d

7. Boot x86 boot enhancements, boot parameters 1/9

8. IBCS2 and missing header

9. Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

10. renamed rc.boot to rc.boot.old now it wont boot???

11. Boot using HFS+ ?

12. Booting causes Kernel Panic at HFS disk mounting

13. linuxppc/mac-on-linux problem: hfs boot disk corruption