status of pismo support?

Post by Laurens Kils-Hütt » Fri, 01 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hi, I just got back from 4 weeks holidays :-) and need a little update:

whats the current status of pismo support, especially with respect to
powermanagement, sound, USB ZIP 100 support?

has anyone managed to put the pismo to sleep? or spin down the idle HDD?

cheers,

laurens

--
Laurens Kils-Huetten
Clasingstr. 3

status of pismo support?

Post by Wort » Sat, 02 Sep 2000 03:53:42

: Hi, I just got back from 4 weeks holidays :-) and need a little update:

: whats the current status of pismo support, especially with respect to
: powermanagement, sound, USB ZIP 100 support?
: has anyone managed to put the pismo to sleep?

Ben's recent kernels have a new USB backport that supports
more devices. It also drags in the new input layer which is
incompatible with existing xpmac versions, there is a
backwards compaitbility mode.

See <http://ppclinux.apple.com/~ben>

The internal speakers are enalbled in Ben's source tree and
there is also an increasing amount of sleep code, but it was
still disabled last weekend. To rsync the source, see the instructions
at  <http://linuxcare.com./au/~paulus> and use linuc-pmac-benh for
the project.

: or spin down the idle HDD?

RTFM hdparm

status of pismo support?

Post by Wort » Sat, 02 Sep 2000 10:00:30

Forgot a couple of other things:

Ben's latest kernel have backlight control, including
using <dim/F1> and <bright/F2>.

The internal speaker volume is not contolled by the
master volume, use the spkr volume control in a mixer
like gmix. Plugging in something to external jack
does not mute the internal speaker.

You can play CD's using cdparanoia with the -Z
option and piping it into play, e.g.:

   cdparanoia 1- -Z - | play -t wav -

or

   cdparamoia 1- -Z -f - | play -t aiff -

For a GUI CD player, I've posted patches for
xmms-1.2.2 to the linuxpcc-dev and xmms maillists
that fix endiness and macro side-effect problems that
among other things caused the CDDA player plugin to
seg-fault. Note, xmms-1.2.2 drags in a lot of pre-reqs
that cause other problems, and there are still other
problems in xmms and the dmasound driver that need to
be addressed, see my post for details.

status of pismo support?

Post by Stefan Heimer » Sat, 02 Sep 2000 06:16:50

> Hi, I just got back from 4 weeks holidays :-) and need a little update:

> whats the current status of pismo support, especially with respect to
> powermanagement, sound, USB ZIP 100 support?

USB Zip100 works fine on my iBook and on a friends iMac. I guess it will
also work on your pismo with a recent kernel.

Stefan