Making CD from Apple mklinux CD Image

Post by Stanley Weilna » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I downloaded the Apple mklinux DR3 cd image.  I tried to use the Adaptec
CD recorder software to write it to a CD.  The Adaptec software stated
that it was not a proper image.  I did ftp it in binary mode.  Has
anybody tried this?

Stanley Weilnau

Post by Brian C. Bur » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I downloaded the Apple mklinux DR3 cd image.  I tried to use the Adaptec
> CD recorder software to write it to a CD.  The Adaptec software stated
> that it was not a proper image.  I did ftp it in binary mode.  Has
> anybody tried this?

> Stanley Weilnau

Yes succssfully using Adaptec Toast 3.5.4 in Disk image format.

Brian

1. Making mklinux cd (was mac 6100/66 and mklinux)

Hi again,
I downloaded the dr-3 mklinux raw image from apple's site. Made a cd of
it under XCDRoast that i can fully read and browse on my PC Linux box.

The problem is I cannot get it to read on my mac power pc 6100/66.
The cd-rom is an Apple 4X SCSI cd-rom that is known good (I can read the
system cd I borrowed just fine as well as some kids game cd's (hybrid
pc/mac) I installed system 7.5 on the mac this weekend.

Did I burn the cd wrong?(wrong extensions?) I used Rockridge with
Win95/NT (default) which makes all of my other cd's fine. It includes
Rockridge with anonimity and allows long filenames.
Is it the system 7.5 and I need to get an upgrade?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
J-L

--- forwarded mesaage follows ---
You need to have at least a small MacOS partition with the MacOS
installed
on it, because MkLinux can't boot by itself.  It boots via the MkLinux
Booter, a MacOS system extension which is invoked by the MacOS boot
code.

Once MkLinux is up and running, it takes over the machine completely,
but
you still need the MacOS to get it up and running.

--

Dept. of Physics and Computer Science        Clinton, South Carolina USA

        [     Information about newsgroups for beginners:     ]
        [ http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Lab/6882/ ]

--- forwarded mesaage follows ---
Hi,
Is it possible to install mklinux dr-3 on an old mac 6100/66 (w/ 40mb
ram and a 340 scsi hdd )I have without having the mac os on it. I have
to do a bare bones install on a clean machine as I no longer have any
mac stuff. I have a pc already running mandrake linux (=redhat 5.2) and
want to put this old mac into service again just as an internet box on
my network.

On my pc linuxbox I have downloaded the DR-3 cd-image and will try to
burn the raw image  tonight with X CDRoast. However everything I read
says do such and such on the mac os side, do so and so in the mac os
etc.

Does anyone have the steps down to load mklinux on a bare 6100/66?

Thanks

J-L

2. XDos remaps my keyboard!!!

3. where to get mklinux pre-r1 cd-rom image?

4. 32-bit user ids?

5. FS: MkLinux Book, 2.1 CD and Reference CD

6. NAT: D & S on the same packet?

7. making image of cds?

8. Sendmail - Questions

9. Making boot disk image for El Torito CD

10. making a CD image using dd (problems)

11. HELP iso image burning to cd and making it bootable HELP

12. making a image to burn to cd in linux?

13. making redhat cd from CD-R