Suse 7.0 for PowerPC on B&W G3 400 yaboot problem

Suse 7.0 for PowerPC on B&W G3 400 yaboot problem

Post by Jesse Adelma » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:01:10

Hi, helpful Linux gods/godesses:

Here's the setup:

B&W G3 400Mhz Rev. 1 (I believe)
Adaptec 2940 U2W LVD with:
1 8.5 GB SCSI drive, with MacOS only
1 18 GB SCA-to-SCSI adapterized drive for Suse, with HFS Standard boot
partition and non-clobbered Apple partitions, and several Linux partitions

Problem:

When installing Suse Linux 7.0 for PowerPC, everything goes fairly well
(with some problems with my ADB mouse in X), but no other observable
problems. I follow Suse's instructions for implementing the suseboot OF
script for selecting to boot to my MacOS drive and to the Suse drive.
Unfortunately, whatever program/script reads the OF information appends
"/compatible/" to the OF boot-device and boot-file strings, leaving me with
this:

er"

And thereby, making OF not find the device or file to boot from.

Now, I've done some monkeying to resolve this without bothering you:

* Change OF settings for boot-device and boot-file, which at least got
yaboot loading, BUT... now yaboot loads and responds to entering return at
the prompt by clearing the screen and re-presenting the same prompt. I hear
a "click" of disk activity as the screen clears, but the loop continues.
* Changed yaboot.conf to reflect the removal of "/compatible/", but realized
that I need to write that to the boot sectors (which is what I assume yaboot
needs). Suse doesn't seem to use ybin within their lilo to write the boot
records, so...

My questions:

* What does Suse 7.0 PowerPC actually do when you launch Lilo? I've been
unable to find any docs on that (please point me the right way if I'm merely
ignorant). Does it launch other scripts and programs to do it's dirty work?
* Where is lilo getting that blasted "/compatible/" junk from? OF has never
had anything resembling that on my Mac (before installing Suse or after
zapping the NVRAM and re-setting the startup disk). Has anyone else battled
through this?
* How do I merely configure yaboot without running the (possibly broken)
lilo?

I am new to Suse, coming from RH 5.2/6.2/7.0 for Intel and LinuxPPC
2000/2000 Q4 and BootX. Suse looks to be a much more pleasant experience
than either RH or LinuxPPC (with LinuxPPC being basically RH), and I'm eager
to get started with it, so I'd greatly appreciate your help in getting me
over this hump!

If you need more info, please ask!

Thanks,
Jesse Adelman

SF, CA

Suse 7.0 for PowerPC on B&W G3 400 yaboot problem

Post by Jesse Adelma » Thu, 15 Feb 2001 05:13:42

So, is this the wrong newsgroup for this issue, is it an uninteresting
problem, or do I smell? Or, perhaps is it all of the above ;)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jesse Adelman
SF, CA

Post by Vincent Favre-Nicoli » Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:37:39

> So, is this the wrong newsgroup for this issue, is it an uninteresting
> problem, or do I smell? Or, perhaps is it all of the above ;)?

    You do not seem to smell that much ;-), so I'll try to help you. Un
fortunately I don't use Yaboot, but there are a few infos that may help you.

    There is a yaboot FAQ at:
<http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/ybin/doc/yaboot-faq.html>

    The source for YaBoot is at Ben's page:
<http://www.penguinppc.org/~benh/>

    For SuSE, there is an on-line searchable help at:
<http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/en/html/index.html>

    But for Linux on ppc machines, the *best* place to get answers is always the
linuxppc mailing lists, which you can find at:
<http://lists.linuxppc.org>

    You'll want to search the linuxppc-user list.

    Hope that helps, and welcome to Linux/ppc.

PS: on a B&W mac, I don't think your mouse is adb, but rather an usb ?

--
Vincent Favre-Nicolin                http://www.unige.ch/crystal/favrev/
Laboratoire de Cristallographie      Phone: +41 (22) 702 60 79

Suse 7.0 for PowerPC on B&W G3 400 yaboot problem

Post by Jesse Adelma » Thu, 15 Feb 2001 18:31:48

Thanks for the pointers! Well, I had already searched Suse's docs (and I
actually bought the distro, so I have the (big!) book, but their
documentation doesn't detail what the process is behind their psuedo-LILO.
ybin is not on my system, which seems strange. I'll check the LinuxPPC
archives, too.

When I'm able to fix the problem, I'll post it here - I can't be the only
person with a B&W PowerMac G3 with an Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI card that has
this issue.

Oh, and the B&Ws have USB and one ADB port, which is where my ADB Logitech
TrackMan Marble is plugged into. Having a USB keyboard and an ADB mouse may
be too much for the still-teething USB/ADB device drivers... Strange, tho,
that if I do a "cat /dev/mouse" I get the output stream from the mouse...
But that's another thread.

Thanks,
Jesse Adelman

>> So, is this the wrong newsgroup for this issue, is it an uninteresting
>> problem, or do I smell? Or, perhaps is it all of the above ;)?

> You do not seem to smell that much ;-), so I'll try to help you. Un
> fortunately I don't use Yaboot, but there are a few infos that may help you.

> There is a yaboot FAQ at:
> <http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/ybin/doc/yaboot-faq.html>

> The source for YaBoot is at Ben's page:
> <http://www.penguinppc.org/~benh/>

> For SuSE, there is an on-line searchable help at:
> <http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/en/html/index.html>

> But for Linux on ppc machines, the *best* place to get answers is always the
> linuxppc mailing lists, which you can find at:
> <http://lists.linuxppc.org>

> You'll want to search the linuxppc-user list.

> Hope that helps, and welcome to Linux/ppc.

> PS: on a B&W mac, I don't think your mouse is adb, but rather an usb ?

> --
> Vincent Favre-Nicolin                http://www.unige.ch/crystal/favrev/
> Laboratoire de Cristallographie      Phone: +41 (22) 702 60 79
> 24 quai Ernest-Ansermet
> CH-1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland        Fax: +41 (22) 702 61 08

Suse 7.0 for PowerPC on B&W G3 400 yaboot problem

Post by Philip Bennet » Thu, 15 Feb 2001 21:16:38

Quote:> Thanks for the pointers! Well, I had already searched Suse's docs (and I
> actually bought the distro, so I have the (big!) book, but their
> documentation doesn't detail what the process is behind their psuedo-LILO.
> ybin is not on my system, which seems strange. I'll check the LinuxPPC
> archives, too.

> When I'm able to fix the problem, I'll post it here - I can't be the only
> person with a B&W PowerMac G3 with an Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI card that has
> this issue.

> Oh, and the B&Ws have USB and one ADB port, which is where my ADB Logitech
> TrackMan Marble is plugged into. Having a USB keyboard and an ADB mouse may
> be too much for the still-teething USB/ADB device drivers... Strange, tho,
> that if I do a "cat /dev/mouse" I get the output stream from the mouse...
> But that's another thread.

> Thanks,
> Jesse Adelman

Have you tried contacting Suse's installation support. You get 60 days, you
know.

Suse 7.0 for PowerPC on B&W G3 400 yaboot problem

Post by Dari Funallet Plana » Thu, 15 Feb 2001 21:18:54

I have a problem also with yaboot.
I have a B&W G3 400 with 2940U2B scsi card , the one that came from factory
,  and I always had problems with attching extra hard disk and also with
yaboot. The problem is related.
The basic problem is that you have to swap the connections of ata disks for
to be recognized the extra hard disk , because if I attach the extra hard
disk un the free ata port, my system doesn't recognize it , so I plug the
cdrom in the free ata port and then the extra hard disk where the cdrom was
attached, then all works well , but doing these makes that yaboot won't
recognize the configuration, something like the firmaware is unable to
understand. I tried multiple configurations... but always fails.
I have the extra hd with linux suse 7.0 but since I updated to 9.1 I can't
boot linux, because, I could do it with bootx until 9.0.4. Now I think I
will downgrade to 9.0.4 to continue using Linux, unless one could post a
solution.
Dari

Suse 7.0 for PowerPC on B&W G3 400 yaboot problem

Post by Dari Funallet Plana » Thu, 15 Feb 2001 21:22:38

Also ther's a lot of confusion, If I run pdisk from MacOS I have to call the
extra hard drives with /dev/hda or /dev/hdb
but if I run pdisk in linux is /dev/hde or /dev/hdf, it's some kind of
trouble between OSs.
So I tried both in yaboot... and no one succed.
Quote:> I have a problem also with yaboot.
> I have a B&W G3 400 with 2940U2B scsi card , the one that came from factory
> ,  and I always had problems with attching extra hard disk and also with
> yaboot. The problem is related.
> The basic problem is that you have to swap the connections of ata disks for
> to be recognized the extra hard disk , because if I attach the extra hard
> disk un the free ata port, my system doesn't recognize it , so I plug the
> cdrom in the free ata port and then the extra hard disk where the cdrom was
> attached, then all works well , but doing these makes that yaboot won't
> recognize the configuration, something like the firmaware is unable to
> understand. I tried multiple configurations... but always fails.
> I have the extra hd with linux suse 7.0 but since I updated to 9.1 I can't
> boot linux, because, I could do it with bootx until 9.0.4. Now I think I
> will downgrade to 9.0.4 to continue using Linux, unless one could post a
> solution.
> Dari

Suse 7.0 for PowerPC on B&W G3 400 yaboot problem

Post by Dari Funallet Plana » Fri, 16 Feb 2001 01:18:46

yes I have the jumpers allright.
I must supose that every ata port goes independent. In every port must go
one as master, and the other one as slave.... so I think it's good.
In the free port I have the ata drive as master.
Quote:

Post by Steve Hi » Fri, 16 Feb 2001 14:27:04

> > So, is this the wrong newsgroup for this issue, is it an uninteresting
> > problem, or do I smell? Or, perhaps is it all of the above ;)?

>     You do not seem to smell that much ;-), so I'll try to help you. Un
> fortunately I don't use Yaboot, but there are a few infos that may help
> you.

>     There is a yaboot FAQ at:
> <http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/ybin/doc/yaboot-faq.html>

>     The source for YaBoot is at Ben's page:
> <http://www.penguinppc.org/~benh/>

>     For SuSE, there is an on-line searchable help at:
> <http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/en/html/index.html>

>     But for Linux on ppc machines, the *best* place to get answers is
>     always the
> linuxppc mailing lists, which you can find at:
> <http://lists.linuxppc.org>

>     You'll want to search the linuxppc-user list.

>     Hope that helps, and welcome to Linux/ppc.

> PS: on a B&W mac, I don't think your mouse is adb, but rather an usb ?

It can be either, the B&W G3 Macs still have an ADB port, as
well as USB.

My task this weekend, btw, is to get SuSE 7.0 (yaboot and all)
running on my B&W G3/400. If I wasn't running MacOS 9.1 on it,
I could still use BootX to launch Linux...

1. Problem booting a B&W G3 using yaboot

I have my root (/) partitition on /dev/sda7 and I can not figure out how to
make the "image =" line right.

The manual uses hd:8 as an example, I have tried hd:7 but it doesn't work. I
am using a SCSI disk (I have also tried sda:7, with no luck)

I get an error message in the OF-boot process saying something about "device
not found".

Can anyone help??

--

HATLEHOLS AS,      P.O. BOX 133,      6282 BRATTVAAG,       NORWAY

2. SOLVED: Konqueror and Plugger

3. yaboot and B&W G3 sound problems

4. Why is netscape so slow

5. Yaboot and B&W G3 rev.1

6. 1.5 => 1.5.1 : need to recompile user apps?

7. Suse 7.0 on iMac DV 400

8. v100 running solaris 9 => xdm login problem

9. Suse 6.4 B&W G3...netscape freeze...

10. Install Problems on 6500 with Sonnet G3/400

11. Suse 7.0 fpr G3/533 ?

12. Weird installation problems with B&W G3

13. Kensington Orbit ADB on b&w G3 problem