LinuxPPC/KDE/Video Resolution

Post by Kyle R. Gree » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I've read about four articles in this group that *almost* have enough
information between all of them to solve my problem.

Unfortunately, I still can't get it, LinuxPPC newbie that I am.

bit-depth of 16 bits.

I know I have to edit some rc files to accomplish this.

Can I set my system up with the above configuration so that I don't have
to type in vmode 10, then startx -- -bpp 16 or something of the sort?

If so, what files would I have to edit, and what would I edit inside
them?

Thank you very much in advance.

Kyle R. Green

Post by Sangee » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> bit-depth of 16 bits.

> I know I have to edit some rc files to accomplish this.

> Can I set my system up with the above configuration so that I don't have
> to type in vmode 10, then startx -- -bpp 16 or something of the sort?

Try putting
                    vmode 10 16
at the start of /etc/rc.d/rc.local,
but check it out first from the console (boot up without KDE) to see if
that mode works.

LinuxPPC/KDE/Video Resolution

Post by Jason » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I just tried this on my machine.  The login prompt came up in high res, but
>when I typed startx KDE switched back down to 640 X 480.
>Is there a config file for KDE or X that needs to have the resolution entered?
>I tried to find Xconfigurator or XF86Setup, but neither one is on my
>installation... do these utilities exist in LinuxPPC?

You might try

startx -- -mode MM -depth DD

where MM and DD are the desired values. Note that there have been reports
of console lockups with Xpmac and the recent development kernels when
the console vmode doesn't match the X vmode and you try to switch from
X to a VC (this isn't a problem with 2.1.24, though).

--
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time
to reform.

1. LinuxPPC install Q's: video resolution, delete key

After a year on MkLinux, I've installed a mix of LinuxPPC 4.1 and some of
the R5 stuff. Generally things are good (KDE is vastly improved). Two snags
I'd appreciate help with:

Booting (BootX with the no video driver box unchecked, 1Mb of VRAM, 15" VGA
monitor on a PowerCenter 150) in 800x600 mode causes Linux to start in a
square box using <70% of the monitor. This worked fine in MkLinux.
Switching to 1024x768 works better but still uses a reduced portion of the
screen. I'm planning to add more VRAM but I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Deleting: I've run into the delete/backspace switch issue. There are plenty
of suggestions in this group and in the Faq-o-matic for dealing with it. My
questions are:

What is the best solution for an R4.1 install? An .xmodmap file, xmodmap
commands or something else?

I never ran into problems with MkLinux DR3. Anyone know how it's set up there?

Is it OK to map both keys to delete? I couldn't see why not but it made a
mess of both Netscape and xterms.

2. Amount of RAM on AIX 4.2.x

3. KDE video resolution.. help!

4. slackware Man pages

5. Can't change video resolution in KDE

6. FreeBSD & Java - future?

7. GNOME & KDE Video Resolution Questions

8. poor netperf result on SunFire 280R

9. KDE Video Resolution problem solved!!

10. Can't change video resolutions for 3D Blaster Banshee Video Card

11. Higher Resolutions w/ LinuxPPC

12. Screen Resolution in LinuxPPC 2000

13. Resolution in LinuxPPC q4