*********FORGET LINUX, I GIVE UP!!!***********

Post by Philip W » Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:00:00

    I give up, look at my "iMac Keyboard problem" posting to see why. I'll
stick to MacOS. Tell me when a hardware-friendly, stable version of Linux is
compiled. If anyone has VERY compelling reasons for me to stay with linux
and fixes to my keyboard problem, then contact me.

Hmmmm... let me go check my E-mail with ease using Outlook Express, instead
of the unfriendly pine...

*********FORGET LINUX, I GIVE UP!!!***********

Post by Sibylle Ros » Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hmmmm... let me go check my E-mail with ease using Outlook Express, instead
> of the unfriendly pine...

you can say what you want, but pine is one of the best mail programs i
ever used. simple intuitive and easy to understand. I worked in a
hotline and i always had a big problem to explaine and to understand how
to use qutlook.
but okay, I am using Eudora now, but only because it is on my machine
and i have all my mails here and dont have to transfer them anymore :)

Sibylle

*********FORGET LINUX, I GIVE UP!!!***********

Post by Tony Grimwo » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>    I give up, look at my "iMac Keyboard problem" posting to see why. I'll
>stick to MacOS. Tell me when a hardware-friendly, stable version of Linux is
>compiled. If anyone has VERY compelling reasons for me to stay with linux
>and fixes to my keyboard problem, then contact me.

>Hmmmm... let me go check my E-mail with ease using Outlook Express, instead
>of the unfriendly pine...

<rant>
Beats me why people install linux if all they want is a desktop system
anyway. MacOS is in a different wotld than *nix in terms of ease_of_use.
It's light years ahead of KDE in almost every way - I mean, why go and
install linux and then run KDE on it to try and emulate what MacOS does??
Taking low-grade coal to Newcastle, IMO. If you're after a powerful and
flexible server system and can't bear the thought of using NT, or you just
want to learn about *nix, then Linux is a Good Thing.
</rant>

tonyg

*********FORGET LINUX, I GIVE UP!!!***********

Post by Andrew McCormi » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>If you're after a powerful and
>flexible server system and can't bear the thought of using NT, or you just
>want to learn about *nix, then Linux is a Good Thing.

How does a powerful and flexible server system relate in any way to NT?

Andrew McCormick

--

*********FORGET LINUX, I GIVE UP!!!***********

Post by Israel Alvar » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> How does a powerful and flexible server system relate in any way to NT?

In only the most remote and glancing manner. Especially if you ask for
"stable" as well.

--
Israel Alvarez
Propellerhead Without Portfolio

*********FORGET LINUX, I GIVE UP!!!***********

Post by Dirk Heinric » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>> How does a powerful and flexible server system relate in any way to NT?

> In only the most remote and glancing manner. Especially if you ask for
> "stable" as well.

And dont forget to reboot from time to time :-(

Bye...

        Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs
dSH Aachen

*********FORGET LINUX, I GIVE UP!!!***********

Post by Brian Marsha » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> >If you're after a powerful and
> >flexible server system and can't bear the thought of using NT, or you just
> >want to learn about *nix, then Linux is a Good Thing.

> How does a powerful and flexible server system relate in any way to NT?

> Andrew McCormick

I second that.....

Brian Marshall

*********FORGET LINUX, I GIVE UP!!!***********

Post by Kiernan Holla » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>How does a powerful and flexible server system relate in any way to NT?

I recall a systems administrator friend said there are applications
for Windows NT to periodically reinstall NT every so often,
it gives you some idea how NT and Linux compare..

I haven't had to recompile my Kernel or reinstall Linux on my
machine for a while (on PC Linux). I've been using it since the
summer and even though I do powerdown frequently its not
due to a system crash, that never happens, its also not
self-mutlating like Windows (unless you forget to cleanly
powerdown, newby linux users will make this mistake, I think
a majority of people's linux-instability is forgetting to
power it down the right way [think of the filesystem trashing
that goes on].. Treat Linux right it will work wonders..
Its for everyone but only the more technologically inclined
to understand..

*********FORGET LINUX, I GIVE UP!!!***********

Post by Charles Broeke » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hey, I haven't had to reboot my NT Server for more than a year. Of course, I
only use it as a print server and to validate Win95/98 logins so I can have
some idea what my kids are doing and when.
Actually, I'm in the process of un-MSing my home network. I've been into
Unix since the mid-70's. I got my first Mac in '86. I bought my first PC in
'93 to run NextStep. I got NT Server and SQL Server for free a couple years
ago for attending a Microsoft meeting. Now I'm going towards Linux and MacOS
X. I hope to be MS free by the end of the year.
I might still use MS Office but that's about it.

Chuck Broeker

----------

*********FORGET LINUX, I GIVE UP!!!***********

Post by Shawn Lavi » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>How does a powerful and flexible server system relate in any way to NT?

If what you are comparing it to is Windows 95/98, NT looks
like a 'powerful', 'flexible', 'server' system and it even
looks 'stable'. It's all relative.

Of course if you compare it to any properly installed Linux
system or commercial *nix and it quickly shows that it really
is not any of those (Okay it is a server, but you should have
the term 'Workgroup' in there to qualify).

--
Shawn Lavin
As always, my opinions are my own

*********FORGET LINUX, I GIVE UP!!!***********

Post by Tony Grimwo » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>> >If you're after a powerful and
>> >flexible server system and can't bear the thought of using NT, or you just
>> >want to learn about *nix, then Linux is a Good Thing.

>> How does a powerful and flexible server system relate in any way to NT?

>> Andrew McCormick

>I second that.....

Don't get me wrong - I agree with the above sentiment. It's just that I
know a few people who make ridiculous amounts of money solving corporates'
(many & ongoing) NT problems.

tonyg

--
Tony Grimwood
University of Auckland

*********FORGET LINUX, I GIVE UP!!!***********

Post by Zep » Thu, 18 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Don't get me wrong - I agree with the above sentiment. It's just that I
> know a few people who make ridiculous amounts of money solving corporates'
> (many & ongoing) NT problems.

Of course.  There's a clipping I yanked out of Infoworld many moons ago:

"It is a rare case that I would ever have to reboot a Mac server because
it ceased functioning or froze up; the PCs, on the other hand, keep me
gainfully employed."

  - Peter Visel, IS Manager at Santa Cruz Biotechnology.