Will pdisk wipe my Apple_HFS partition?

Post by Kip Gebhard » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I have a 1 gig unused partition on a 6gig IDE internal drive on my G3
desktop. I want to make use this partition to hold MkLinux.

I have 2 questions:

1) If I partition using pdisk and don't change anything relating to the
apple HFS partition, will pdisk wipe my Apple volume or will it just
create the new UNIX partitions?

2) Will I be able to boot from /dev/hda6. I had alot of trouble getting
my G3 to install MkLinux from the IDE CDROM. I have been able to boot
linux from my external SCSI drive but it just died.

Thanks.

Kip

Will pdisk wipe my Apple_HFS partition?

Post by Your ad her » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I can't answer the second question, but from my own experience I have
re-partitioned  the Linux portion of my IDE drive more than once without any
harm to my Apple HFS portion. Just make sure you delete and configure the
correct partition.

--
"I feel you're a pain."

Post by Andrew J. Bre » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I have a 1 gig unused partition on a 6gig IDE internal drive on my G3
> desktop. I want to make use this partition to hold MkLinux.

> I have 2 questions:

> 1) If I partition using pdisk and don't change anything relating to the
> apple HFS partition, will pdisk wipe my Apple volume or will it just
> create the new UNIX partitions?

It will just create a new UNIX partition. It is basically impossible to
destroy any data with pdisk, as long as you ONLY use the create
partition features.

Quote:> 2) Will I be able to boot from /dev/hda6. I had alot of trouble getting
> my G3 to install MkLinux from the IDE CDROM. I have been able to boot
> linux from my external SCSI drive but it just died.

I guess you will, I'm not sure tho.

--
Andrew J. Brehm
fan of Woody Allen

Post by Matthew Pritzke » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I have a 1 gig unused partition on a 6gig IDE internal drive on my G3
> desktop. I want to make use this partition to hold MkLinux.

> I have 2 questions:

> 1) If I partition using pdisk and don't change anything relating to the
> apple HFS partition, will pdisk wipe my Apple volume or will it just
> create the new UNIX partitions?

On my G3, I have used to pdisk to edit the internal IDE drive while
MacOS was running from it.  The Mac partitions remained intact, while
Rhapsody (ugh) partitions were converted to Linux partitions.

Quote:> 2) Will I be able to boot from /dev/hda6. I had alot of trouble getting
> my G3 to install MkLinux from the IDE CDROM. I have been able to boot
> linux from my external SCSI drive but it just died.

I originally had to play with OF settings and eventually got LinuxPPC to
boot directly off the IDE drive; now I BootX, and it has no problems
either.

--
--------------------
Matthew Pritzker                Graduate Research Assistant

1. Partitioning & PDisk

Hi, I am trying to install Linux and I run into problems when using pdisk in
the installer.

I have a 2.3gig HD dedicated to Linux. I make a swap and a root partition.

Like this:

start block
end block
name

I then do a "write."

It can't recognize the drive (the installer). What am I doing wrong?

BTW, this version I am installing is TurboLinux.

Sincerely Robert Hoopes

2. No zImage file after compiling 1.2.2

3. Partitioning...pdisk...

4. DHCPD and Hardware Proxy Server

5. Help: pdisk lost a partition???

6. Server Side Incoudes on Apache

7. Wipe out DOS partition and add the free space to Linux

8. HP 850c printer

9. Re-sizing Swap Partition w/o Wiping HD?

10. HELP: Wiped partition table and want to recover data

11. Newbie wiped out partition on new WD 40GB drive --a little help please

12. Automatic Partitioning wiped my c drive

13. securely wiping the swap partition