MkLinux DR3 and mounting HFS ...

Post by John Michael Zork » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Greetings, all ...

In preparation for trying to upgrade the DR3 kernel / server to GENERIC
#7, I mounted the HFS partition of my disk, the one with MacOS on it,
under MkLinux.  All was cool, or so I thought.  I didn't unmount it -- I
just did the 'shutdown -h now' command, without changing anything (never
copied the new kernel / server pair, just wanted to see if I could mount
the HFS partition).

Well, now i'm bummed.  I turned the pup back on, and it wouldn't boot
from the disc.  I had to put the MacOS CD back in and boot from that.  I
ran Nawhtin Deesk Dawhctor, it complained about some finky btree
corruption, but it fixed everything.  I restarted -- no good.  So, I
reinstalled MacOS on the little partition, thinking this would fix
everything.  Nope.  After making sure lilo.conf was the way it was
before, and in the right place, everything was finally cool again.

What did I do wrong?  Should I have umounted the HFS partition before
shutting down MkLinux?  This is the only thing I can think of that I
didn't do ... I don't umount the CD or anything when i'm shutting down,
but that's a read-only device ...

Weird!

--

Regards,

John Michael Zorko
AdAstra Records
http://www.adastra-records.com

MkLinux DR3 and mounting HFS ...

Post by Luc Lefebv » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I am not sure what happened but I have been using the xhfs utilities to
read files into ext2 partitions without any problems.  Once the copy is
done though, the partition is umounted.  I also shutdown -r now rather
than -h and shutdown the computer from the MacOS.

> Greetings, all ...

> In preparation for trying to upgrade the DR3 kernel / server to GENERIC
> #7, I mounted the HFS partition of my disk, the one with MacOS on it,
> under MkLinux.  All was cool, or so I thought.  I didn't unmount it -- I
> just did the 'shutdown -h now' command, without changing anything (never
> copied the new kernel / server pair, just wanted to see if I could mount
> the HFS partition).

> Well, now i'm bummed.  I turned the pup back on, and it wouldn't boot
> from the disc.  I had to put the MacOS CD back in and boot from that.  I
> ran Nawhtin Deesk Dawhctor, it complained about some finky btree
> corruption, but it fixed everything.  I restarted -- no good.  So, I
> reinstalled MacOS on the little partition, thinking this would fix
> everything.  Nope.  After making sure lilo.conf was the way it was
> before, and in the right place, everything was finally cool again.

> What did I do wrong?  Should I have umounted the HFS partition before
> shutting down MkLinux?  This is the only thing I can think of that I
> didn't do ... I don't umount the CD or anything when i'm shutting down,
> but that's a read-only device ...

> Weird!

> --

> Regards,

> John Michael Zorko
> AdAstra Records
> http://www.adastra-records.com

--
Luc Lefebvre
***

MkLinux DR3 and mounting HFS ...

Post by John Michael Zork » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Luc,

This little problem (mucking with the HFS partition) seemed to go away
as soon as I upgraded to Generic 6.  A lot of things seem better ... no
more weird screen things when I mount something from within an xterm, no
more gpm error message ... indeed, the bird song outside my window even
sounds sweeter ...

--

Regards,

John Michael Zorko
AdAstra Records
http://www.adastra-records.com

MkLinux DR3 and mounting HFS ...

Post by Luc Lefebv » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Glad to hear,

cheers.

> Luc,

> This little problem (mucking with the HFS partition) seemed to go away
> as soon as I upgraded to Generic 6.  A lot of things seem better ... no
> more weird screen things when I mount something from within an xterm, no
> more gpm error message ... indeed, the bird song outside my window even
> sounds sweeter ...

> --

> Regards,

> John Michael Zorko
> AdAstra Records
> http://www.adastra-records.com

--
Luc Lefebvre
***
NOTE:
        if your reply via email
        please remove the z from my return address
***

1. Using mount() for mounting a hfs - CD how to pass options ?

Hi there,
I am looking for the correct parameters for the mount() call:
What I want to do is:
/bin/mount -thfs -o fork=netatalk -r /dev/scd3 /cdrom03
this works within a shell.
But I would like to use the mount call:
mount( device_name, dir, "hfs", MS_RDONLY, "fork=netatalk");
This is not working, I tried several variants of the option
string which is considered to be filesystem dependent.
... "-o fork=netatlk"); does not work too....
Does anybody know, how the option is to be build?
Thanks in advance
Tobias Gomer

This is my personal opinion and has nothing to do with the
company I'm working for.

2. Replicating mysql over internet

3. MkLinux DR3 probs on 8600 - help!

4. Trouble with WD8003 network card when using AHA2940UW SCSI

5. MkLinux DR3 screen resolution problem solved on G3

6. tik 0.59

7. G3 Ethernet MkLinux DR3

8. New kernel hangs at "Creating /var/log/boot.msg"

9. MkLinux DR3 KDE problems

10. MkLinux DR3 install through a firewall

11. MKLinux DR3 rsh faild

12. MkLinux DR3 and Netatalk

13. Permanently set Default Gateway on MkLinux DR3?