Changing WM from kwm to something else

Post by Ric » Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:00:00

How do I go about changing the Window Manager in KDE ? Hopefully it is
something as simple as editing one config file some where... BUT ..

I have been able to edit inittab and /etc/X11/xinit/Xsessions to get to
fvwm, but only as root. and I couldnt get kppp to dial. It would
recognize and initialize the modem, but it wouldnt dial from fvwm...

So, how do I change window managers for both root and my login account,
and how do I get kppp to work from another window manager?

.. and why doesnt the wm selector in the KDE login work?

Any and all help appreciated.

Post by Doug William » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> How do I go about changing the Window Manager in KDE ? Hopefully it is
> something as simple as editing one config file some where... BUT ..

> I have been able to edit inittab and /etc/X11/xinit/Xsessions to get to
> fvwm, but only as root.

Those seem like the correct steps to follow. There are detailed changes
listed here that worked fine for me.
http://intermountain.com/~duncan/ppc/X11_help.html
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~jonh/lppc-serve/cache/474.html

Quote:> So, how do I change window managers for both root and my login account,

Did you setuid root Xpmac?  This command may be necessary:

chmod 4755 `which Xpmac`

Quote:> and how do I get kppp to work from another window manager?

This is probably the same permissions problem, but I am still having
trouble with my serial ports so I can't help here.

Quote:> .. and why doesnt the wm selector in the KDE login work?

Technically, it's the wm selector in the KDM (K destop Manager).  My
guess is that either the script is slightly off (check out the 2
scripts I've linked to above), or the setuid problem.

-=[doug]=-

Post by Ric » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> > How do I go about changing the Window Manager in KDE ? Hopefully it is
> > something as simple as editing one config file some where... BUT ..

> > I have been able to edit inittab and /etc/X11/xinit/Xsessions to get to
> > fvwm, but only as root.
> Those seem like the correct steps to follow. There are detailed changes
> listed here that worked fine for me.
> http://intermountain.com/~duncan/ppc/X11_help.html
> http://www.dartmouth.edu/~jonh/lppc-serve/cache/474.html

> > So, how do I change window managers for both root and my login account,
> Did you setuid root Xpmac?  This command may be necessary:

> chmod 4755 `which Xpmac`

> > and how do I get kppp to work from another window manager?
> This is probably the same permissions problem, but I am still having
> trouble with my serial ports so I can't help here.

> > .. and why doesnt the wm selector in the KDE login work?
> Technically, it's the wm selector in the KDM (K destop Manager).  My
> guess is that either the script is slightly off (check out the 2
> scripts I've linked to above), or the setuid problem.

> -=[doug]=-

I used the dartmouth link and can now change Window managers, but
something still seems strange about them... like they arent really
running like they usually do.. but.. i was able to do the script
changes, and now I have a choice of several window managers... now, if I
can just learn to DL from the Net and install.. I can get the macLike
wm, and some apps.

Changing WM from kwm to something else

Post by Steve- » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I too couldn't get Kppp to work until I switched from Script to PAP. Now
> it works fine!

> > and how do I get kppp to work from another window manager?
> This is probably the same permissions problem, but I am still having
> trouble with my serial ports so I can't help here.

1. Using Enlightenment vs. KWM as the WM for Kdesktop?

I think RedHat 6.2 installs Enlightenment as the default
window manager for switching between GNOME & KDE.  Since I
only use KDE which file do I need to edit to switch to using
KWM as the window manager?  Does anyone know the +/- of
using either?

Thanks.

Mike

2. test, please ignore

3. problem when changing desktops - kwm

4. RH 8 - A NONoperating system

5. Redhat 5.2 + kde- won't let me change to 'kwm'

6. dhcp assignment on first MAC detect question

7. Changing kwm for Window Maker

8. Sticky bit/environment question

9. Change RedHat 5.0's WM to fvwm95?

10. Mandrake - how to change WM