Newbie could use recommendation on Server, NT or Unix

Newbie could use recommendation on Server, NT or Unix

Post by Brent Billma » Sat, 14 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Our business needs to serve a DOS (soon to be Windoze)
point-of-sale/inventory application to 8 clients. Retailers are recommending
NT. Can a Unix system do this? Difficulty level?

Post by Griff Mille » Sat, 14 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Our business needs to serve a DOS (soon to be Windoze)
> point-of-sale/inventory application to 8 clients. Retailers are recommending
> NT. Can a Unix system do this? Difficulty level?

Possibly, but more would need to be known about the application.

--
Griff Miller II
Senior Unix/NT Sysadmin

1. (Newbie Question) Hardware recommendations for Unix server?

I see all these advanced subjects being discussed here...and here I am with a
simple question (which may not have a simple answer).

We are thinking of becoming a WWW server.  Curerntly we do not have any unix
machines in house.  There's a lot of them out there.  What should I be
considering when choosing a unix box for my  server?  Is any by far better
than the rest?  Do I need e.g. a Sun "Workstation" or a Sun "Server"?

Do I need to consider NT options? Or is the power of Unix outweighs NT as far
as running a WWW server? ....

Thanks!

Jayant Hardikar
JAYANT A. HARDIKAR
Air Quality Scientist

Pacific Environmental Services, Inc.
5001 S. Miami Blvd.
P.O Box 12077
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-2077
Tel: (919) 941-0333
Fax: (919) 941-0234

2. help: Setting up Solaris PPP client with dynamic ip assignment

3. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

4. Tulip Bug ?

5. NT Server, Unix DNS, NT Clients...HELP!!!!!!

6. HD Cache Question

7. newbie: Help with mounting filesystems on win nt server/wksta and nw5 server

8. Unable to retrieve message Error when compiling C++

9. How to Sync time using NT SERVER to Solaris 2.5.1 server

10. looking for NT web server, any recommendations?

11. MSNBC replaced NT servers with UNIX servers

12. Tool to convert ASCII-File from Unix-Server to Nt-Server

13. NT Web Server : Seeking beta testers for Windows 95, Windows NT Web Server