boot linux on G3

Post by Jean-Baptiste Kammere » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 18:29:19

Hi,

I'm trying to install linux (Debian) on a beige G3.
I tryed to use quik (with the appropriate path) as a bootloader, but it doesn't
work at all. I get the following message:

What does it mean ?
What is the solution ?

JBK

boot linux on G3

Post by Nikk » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 02:26:00

> Hi,

> I'm trying to install linux (Debian) on a beige G3.
> I tryed to use quik (with the appropriate path) as a bootloader, but it
> doesn't
> work at all. I get the following message:

> What does it mean ?
> What is the solution ?

> JBK

Hi Jean-Baptiste

is the Beige G3 classified as 'New-World'? I have a feeling it's one of
those on the borderline, maybe 'Old World'? In which case you must use
BootX, not quik.  [Sorry if that's off the mark.]

Debian is hard work, and I still don't know what I did wrong the first
coupla times. But got 3.0 running on a 7300 and 2.1 on an SE/30 good
and stable, so it's worth persevering.

bonne chance

Nikki

boot linux on G3

Post by Keith Kelle » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 03:15:36

boot linux on G3

Post by Henrik Farr » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 04:01:11

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:29:19 +0200

> Hi,

> I'm trying to install linux (Debian) on a beige G3.
> I tryed to use quik (with the appropriate path) as a bootloader, but it
> doesn't work at all. I get the following message:

> What does it mean ?
> What is the solution ?

Try to read the info on my page, it might help you:

http://www.cs.auc.dk/~enrique/linux/bootquik.html

--
Mvh. / Kind regards
Henrik Farre

http://www.cs.auc.dk/~enrique

boot linux on G3

Post by Nikk » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:09:48

boot linux on G3

Post by Jean-Baptiste Kammere » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 17:05:22

> Hi Jean-Baptiste

> is the Beige G3 classified as 'New-World'? I have a feeling it's one of
> those on the borderline, maybe 'Old World'? In which case you must use
> BootX, not quik.  [Sorry if that's off the mark.]

Yes, this is an "old world" G3, and I use quik. I also downloaded the modified
first.b file...
I don't understand the problem. :-(

Quote:

> Debian is hard work, and I still don't know what I did wrong the first
> coupla times. But got 3.0 running on a 7300 and 2.1 on an SE/30 good
> and stable, so it's worth persevering.

I have Debian on my PC, and I think it is the best Linux distribution. That's
why I want to install Debian on my G3.

Quote:

> bonne chance

:-)

Quote:

> Nikki

JBK

boot linux on G3

Post by Hans-Martin Mosne » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 06:12:37

> > Hi Jean-Baptiste

> > is the Beige G3 classified as 'New-World'? I have a feeling it's one of
> > those on the borderline, maybe 'Old World'? In which case you must use
> > BootX, not quik.  [Sorry if that's off the mark.]

> Yes, this is an "old world" G3, and I use quik. I also downloaded the modified
> first.b file...
> I don't understand the problem. :-(

I am using BootX (from a previous unsuccessful MkLinux installation
attempt) on my beige G3/233. Works like a charm. Would that be an option
for you?

Cheers,
Hans-Martin

boot linux on G3

Post by Jean-Baptiste Kammere » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 18:34:07

> I am using BootX (from a previous unsuccessful MkLinux installation
> attempt) on my beige G3/233. Works like a charm. Would that be an option
> for you?

No, because I don't want to keep the MacOS system.
(actually, I don't have any system on my G3)

JBK

boot linux on G3

Post by Jim » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 01:38:48

> On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:29:19 +0200

>>Hi,

>>I'm trying to install linux (Debian) on a beige G3.
>>I tryed to use quik (with the appropriate path) as a bootloader, but it
>>doesn't work at all. I get the following message:

>>What does it mean ?
>>What is the solution ?

> Try to read the info on my page, it might help you:

> http://www.cs.auc.dk/~enrique/linux/bootquik.html

Let me ask you, have you had a dead battery ever? I mean completely
dead, the internal battery. I'm actively investigating this. Can you
please post or send me your output from nvsetenv, and printenv in OF?
And do you know anybody with a similar machine which is working? It
would be nice to see their OF printenv output. I think with this
problem, bootx would fail too. This might amount to nothing, but we're
learning something, right?
Jim

boot linux on G3

Post by Jean-Baptiste Kammere » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 17:44:22

> Let me ask you, have you had a dead battery ever? I mean completely
> dead, the internal battery. I'm actively investigating this. Can you
> please post or send me your output from nvsetenv, and printenv in OF?
> And do you know anybody with a similar machine which is working? It
> would be nice to see their OF printenv output. I think with this
> problem, bootx would fail too. This might amount to nothing, but we're
> learning something, right?
> Jim

Yes, I think the battery is dead since the clock always forget the date...
I will try nvsetenv and printenv... I'll post the output as soon as possible !
I don't know anybody using a Macintosh...
BootX was working perfectly... when MacOS was installed !

JBK