Linux PPC and OpenFirmware Startup on New Mac G4 Dual 500MHz

Linux PPC and OpenFirmware Startup on New Mac G4 Dual 500MHz

Post by don steb » Tue, 05 Sep 2000 07:09:19

Mac/Linux gurus,

I followed LinuxPPC's instructions on installing LinusPPC on a New
World machine to the letter (this is the link):

http://www.linuxppc.com/support/updates/product/?category=2000&subjec...

and when I boot to my second drive's Mac partition, I get a gray
screen. But I've read that I must modify some settings in OpenFirmware
to launch yaboot rather than MacOS. So I followed Apple's advice below

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/hardware/DeviceManagers/pci_srvcs...

and when I boot with the command, option, O, and F keys down to get
into OpenFirmware, nothing happens. The screen is black.

Has access to OpenFirmware changed for this new Mac, or am I doing
something wrong? I am a Mac newbie, so please forgive....

THANKS - Don S.

Post by Kevin Holbroo » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 09:23:49

> Has access to OpenFirmware changed for this new Mac, or am I doing
> something wrong? I am a Mac newbie, so please forgive....

No, it's still Cmd-Option-O-F.
Sometimes it's a litle slow, and sometimes it needs a full power reset before
working.

It does appear to be rather flaky about booting after changes have been made in
the open firmware settings.

As to using the info from Apple, I'd use this page instead.
"http://lists.linuxppc.org/listarcs/linuxppc-user/200003/msg01193.html"

Its the only one with instructions that actually work for the new dual G4's for
me.
All other information I have found does not work or is incorrect in some respect
to yaboot or OF.
That includes the Yaboot FAQ. 8-(

--
Kevin Holbrook