ATI mach 64? ATI rage 128?

Post by Michael H. Colli » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

i have a line on a 9500-class machine, decent price. i thought i could
pick it up and run LinuxPPC in it. however, i am in the dark on a few
things, and have a lot of questions.

this system is described as having an ATI "mach 64 GX" video card in
it, and i see that the "mach 64" is "supported", but the card in this
machine is described as an 8Mb card, and everything i can find on the
mach 64 indicates it was a 2Mb or 4Mb card, and most people seem to
have had problems with them. can anyone tell me what i am actually
dealing with, and what i am likely in for?

alternatively, i could try to run a rage128, but would there be enough
OF compatability in a "legacy mac" like this to uncheck "no video
driver" in BootX and get a live boot display? i haven't had much luck
with this even on "old" hardware (power tower pro running a 128 twin
turbo); at the very least i have to poke the right value into the OF
output-device variable to get a live boot display (and there won't be
any way to do that with the rage128, will there?). as well, will the
new rage128 drivers for LinuxPPC work with retail rage128 hardware, or
just the OEM card that comes in yosemite? finally, i would guess a
nexus sould be overkill for the sorts of maximum resolutions LinuxPPC

a smarter choice?

can anyone help? thanks.

                                        mike
--
A Cappella UNIX Enterprise Support          Michael H. Collier

Franktown, CO 80116                         voice: (303) 898 5794 (24 hrs)

1. Xfree and ATI All-in-wonder 128 or ATI Rage fury 128

Hi everybody

I want to buy an ATI All-in-wonder 128.
Someone has this Videocard (or another one with ATI Rage 128bit chipset like
Rage fury) together with Linux? About Xfree?
I read the XFree Faq and I saw there no ATI RAGE 128 support...
Afterall can I use just simple VGA (640*480) (or better) even if XFREE
doesn't recognize the ATI Rage 128 chipset???

Sorry for my school english
Thanks a lot

P.S.
Please answer in Newsgroup

2. NOTICE: tcp sum: src C17C18A1, sum 00001300

3. 16MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra (Rage 128 Pro Ultra)

4. Empty Log File command?

5. Not work X-Window on ATI Fury Pro (chipset ATI Rage 128 Pro)

6. Total Newbie Needs help

7. XF86Config / Mouse protocol / "NetScroll+"

8. Solaris 8 and ATI Rage 128 (ATI All-In-Wonder) on Intel

9. Not work X-Window on ATI Fury Pro (chipset ATI Rage 128 Pro)

10. ATI Mach 64 informations, then ATI vs Diamond vs Miro, Zappa vs Alladin.

11. ATI Mach 64 infos requested, ATI vs Diamond vs Miro, Zappa vs Alladin.