what Linux distro?

Post by Yuri 'minimal' v. Geene » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 21:11:26

Hi,

I own a Powercomputing Powercenter pro 210 and was wondering what distro
to choose?

PowerPC is Catalyst based board with 604e processor and Adaptec 2930SCSI
card.
http://www.everymac.com/systems/powercc/powercenter_pro/powercenter_pro2
10.html

Want to run Linux and X, I have Linux experience on Intel based
computers. I read LinuxPPC runs on my computer, anyone here who uses
Powercomputing machines with Linux and wants to share some thoughts?

thanks,
minimal.
--
Computers are like any other machines
They're either a benefit, or a hazard

what Linux distro?

Post by Stig S?rense » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 21:25:48

If you know RedHat on Intel, go for Yellowdog on PPC (Latest version is 2.1,
2.2 is comming up shortly).
If you know/like Debian, go for their PPC dist.

LinuxPPC is no longer beeing maintained (sadly), so stay away from that
dist.

/Stig

Quote:> Hi,

> I own a Powercomputing Powercenter pro 210 and was wondering what distro
> to choose?

> PowerPC is Catalyst based board with 604e processor and Adaptec 2930SCSI
> card.
> http://www.everymac.com/systems/powercc/powercenter_pro/powercenter_pro2
> 10.html

> Want to run Linux and X, I have Linux experience on Intel based
> computers. I read LinuxPPC runs on my computer, anyone here who uses
> Powercomputing machines with Linux and wants to share some thoughts?

> thanks,
> minimal.
> --
> Computers are like any other machines
> They're either a benefit, or a hazard

what Linux distro?

Post by Yuri 'minimal' v. Geene » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 22:03:09

An entity also known as Stig S?rensen stated...

Quote:> If you know RedHat on Intel, go for Yellowdog on PPC (Latest version is 2.1,
> 2.2 is comming up shortly).
> If you know/like Debian, go for their PPC dist.

Thanks for the quick reply! I run and ran Red Hat, Debian and Mandrake.
I'll check out Yellowdog, this is mainly for X and playing around. I
also read SuSE and Mandrake runs on Powercomputing, I'm not a fan of
SuSE, but how about Mandrake?

Quote:> LinuxPPC is no longer beeing maintained (sadly), so stay away from that
> dist.

That's what I thought, couldn't get on their site for the last few days.
Very sadly that they discontinued yes.

gr,
yuri.
--
Computers are like any other machines
They're either a benefit, or a hazard

what Linux distro?

Post by lepriapu » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 23:07:56

Quote:> Hi,

> I own a Powercomputing Powercenter pro 210 and was wondering what distro
> to choose?

> PowerPC is Catalyst based board with 604e processor and Adaptec 2930SCSI
> card.
> http://www.everymac.com/systems/powercc/powercenter_pro/powercenter_pro2
> 10.html

> Want to run Linux and X, I have Linux experience on Intel based
> computers. I read LinuxPPC runs on my computer, anyone here who uses
> Powercomputing machines with Linux and wants to share some thoughts?

> thanks,
> minimal.

In my experience, Suse 7.3 works best on on a powerPc, or Mac compatble.

what Linux distro?

Post by Colin War » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 01:00:53

Quote:> Thanks for the quick reply! I run and ran Red Hat, Debian and Mandrake.
> I'll check out Yellowdog, this is mainly for X and playing around. I
> also read SuSE and Mandrake runs on Powercomputing, I'm not a fan of
> SuSE, but how about Mandrake?

I run mandrake on a ibook, but it should be perfect for what you have,
although I haven't done a install on a "old world" PPC. It has taken quite a
lot of tweaking to get everything working on my 'book' but you shouldn't
have those problems as its a much older piece of hardware.
Colin

1. FWD- Red Hat is indeed the Bugs Hat and the suckest distro amongst the Linux distros.

Red Hat is indeed the Bugs Hat and the suckest distro amongst
the Linux distros.

It's so bad, only Windoze NT can beats it.

http://www.securityfocus.com/vdb/stats.html?&_ref=1074041852

Alex Lam.

--
- Please remove XY from address if reply by e mail.
-*Linux Rocks. BSD Rules.But both are great.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q80/5/20.ASP

2. Using xv and Netscape

3. Blue Linux (Linux distro for educational field)

4. Digi Datafire ISDN card

5. Linux Distros (crosspost from alt.os.linux.slackware)

6. A Linux WinModem?

7. What about a WIN3.1-like Linux distro?

8. Modeline for NEC XP17

9. What if Microsoft makes a Linux distro?

10. giving up, please help me choose a linux distro

11. small linux distro

12. INFORMATION NEEDED!!! - NEW LINUX DISTRO

13. GUI minimalist linux distro???