No sound in Yellow Dog....miscellaneous problems...disk utilities in Linux?

No sound in Yellow Dog....miscellaneous problems...disk utilities in Linux?

Post by Ralph Umar Miranda I » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00

    Just wondering if I'm the only one out there not getting any sound
from his BlueG3 with Yellow Dog? I notice R5 users getting this problem,
too...is it the kernel? It apparently detects the sound system but
nothing comes through my speakers.
    Also, things seemed to be working fine- but what do I know, I'm a
newbie to Linux. Everytime I booted up the loading default keymap
[failed]. Then I crashed yesterday. Rebooting allowed me to command-line
login as root "for maintenance." Apparently ext2 got some f*cked up
blocks during the crash and a check was forced. I don't know anything
about maintenence- so I logged out and reinstalled Linux. This time all
the configurations went through flawlessly (except the printer...does
Yellow Dog support USB-connected printers?) and I rebooted. Now
everything came up [ok] on boot.
    Does Yellow Dog support USB Zip drives? I really need to setup Linux
to dial into my ISP so I can actually DL stuff/software for Linux. I
hate having to do searches online with MacOS for Linux info and reboot
Linux just to try it out...not to mention writing down everything I
find!
    I can't wait to see the results of Terra Soft's/ATI's 'talks'- maybe
I can actually run in 'accelerated' mode with my Rage128!

    Enough blab for now...thanks a million to everyone's who's helped me
so far!!!!