NT3.51 or 4 on a PowerPC Mac 7200???

Post by Brendon Brya » Tue, 25 Nov 1997 04:00:00

OK,

I have succesfully installed Linux with an Open Firmware boot disk on
My powermac 7200/120mhz/48mb/1.2gig.

But , what I am after is some other *y os then the
CRASHING MAC!!!!!   I have been told by a few people at my work
that they have seen NT3.51 on a PowerMac working.

I figure that all I need is a similar boot disk for the NT 4 installer
cd.
I have the CD with a /PPC dir but need a little bit of direction with
my next step.

Please help as the mac os is starting to annoy me.

BTW,  I do mac support for the 4th largest mac site in the world.
It pays ok, but I love my PC :)

Thanks

Post by roo » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>OK,

>I have succesfully installed Linux with an Open Firmware boot disk on
>My powermac 7200/120mhz/48mb/1.2gig.

>But , what I am after is some other *y os then the
>CRASHING MAC!!!!!   I have been told by a few people at my work
>that they have seen NT3.51 on a PowerMac working.

If you got linux working, why are you interested in NT for PPC?  There's
a hell of a lot more UNIX software out there than software for NT/PPC.

Quote:

>I figure that all I need is a similar boot disk for the NT 4 installer
>cd.
>I have the CD with a /PPC dir but need a little bit of direction with
>my next step.

Buy a Motorola Powerstack?  NT won't run on Apple hardware.

Quote:

>Please help as the mac os is starting to annoy me.

>BTW,  I do mac support for the 4th largest mac site in the world.
>It pays ok, but I love my PC :)

Yeah, whatever.  You sound a bit trollish today.
Quote:

Post by Gabriel Sterri » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> >OK,

> >I have succesfully installed Linux with an Open Firmware boot disk on
> >My powermac 7200/120mhz/48mb/1.2gig.

> >But , what I am after is some other *y os then the
> >CRASHING MAC!!!!!   I have been told by a few people at my work
> >that they have seen NT3.51 on a PowerMac working.

Try MacOS 8. It's pretty stable --- more so than my roommate's Win95 box.

Quote:> If you got linux working, why are you interested in NT for PPC?  There's
> a hell of a lot more UNIX software out there than software for NT/PPC.

This is a very good point. Under Linux, you simply compile the source code.

Quote:> >Please help as the mac os is starting to annoy me.

> >BTW,  I do mac support for the 4th largest mac site in the world.
> >It pays ok, but I love my PC :)

> Yeah, whatever.  You sound a bit trollish today.

And I can't see how someone who "loves" his PC can do a Mac site any
justice in terms of adequate support. The two platforms have a completely
different mindset and way of doing things. Must be a troll... Anyone worth
their weight in "Mac support" would have a hard time making a living ---
cause there just isn't that much to go wrong. One tech can support 2,
maybe 3 times more macs than PCs.

And NT has no drivers for Apple Power Macintosh computers... hence they
won't work.

NT3.51 or 4 on a PowerPC Mac 7200???

Post by Mr. Sau » Thu, 27 Nov 1997 04:00:00

In article

}

}> >OK,
}> >
}> >I have succesfully installed Linux with an Open Firmware boot disk on
}> >My powermac 7200/120mhz/48mb/1.2gig.
}> >
}> >
}> >But , what I am after is some other *y os then the
}> >CRASHING MAC!!!!!   I have been told by a few people at my work
}> >that they have seen NT3.51 on a PowerMac working.

NT PPC was scrapt. So you won't get any support from them. It was designed
for the IBM PPC AIX alternative. I have never Heard of it working on a
Apple Computer.
But It might happen.

Quote:}Try MacOS 8. It's pretty stable --- more so than my roommate's Win95 box.

I work in Tech Support for an ISP and We Get more Calls from Win95 users
who just can't connect. nothing wrong with settings but if we uninstall
their drivers and reinstall it works.. (Uninstalling and instaling on pc
Bites) There is no easy way to just shut off installed components like
there is on a Mac. But I digress

Quote:}> If you got linux working, why are you interested in NT for PPC?  There's
}> a hell of a lot more UNIX software out there than software for NT/PPC.
}
}This is a very good point. Under Linux, you simply compile the source code.

And if it doesn't work most time you just have to change some permisions
or some other simple compile change but 9-10 works every time.

Quote:}> >Please help as the mac os is starting to annoy me.
}> >
}> >BTW,  I do mac support for the 4th largest mac site in the world.
}> >It pays ok, but I love my PC :)
}>
}> Yeah, whatever.  You sound a bit trollish today.
}
}And I can't see how someone who "loves" his PC can do a Mac site any
}justice in terms of adequate support. The two platforms have a completely
}different mindset and way of doing things. Must be a troll... Anyone worth
}their weight in "Mac support" would have a hard time making a living ---
}cause there just isn't that much to go wrong. One tech can support 2,
}maybe 3 times more macs than PCs.

Exactly, I am the only true Mac user at this isp I work at. I prefer to
use the Mac even thought they put me at a win 95 machine. Yet I can get
95% of all macs connected in just min..where win95 you have to play with
every fricking setting till it likes it.. which may take forever!

Quote:}And NT has no drivers for Apple Power Macintosh computers... hence they
}won't work.

I would have to second that

Post by Marc Matt » Thu, 27 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> ohh yes , very stable.  A long as you don't press the mouse button on
> the apple menu for too long. the whole system comes to a stop. Must be
> a feature.

> don't forget the amount of time it takes just to draw a folders
> contents.    Last but not least, the trash can that just forgets that
> you can drag to it.  I almost forgot those annoying cascading apple
> menu items which is fixed by a restart.

Um, your Mac is broken, man.  Mine doesn't do that.  Hmmm, must be all
that Linux experience I have in setting it up :).

Quote:> >And I can't see how someone who "loves" his PC can do a Mac site any
> >justice in terms of adequate support.
> Macs are absolute childs play compared to a pc.  If you can master a
> pc then you can support a mac with your eyes closed.

That's called "intuitive"... a concept Bill missed.

Quote:> >And NT has no drivers for Apple Power Macintosh computers... hence they
> >won't work.
> maybe that might change seeming as Microsoft has decided to invest in
> apple.   Hmmm, am I looking forward to Windows 99 for the MacOS :)

Thankfully, it would never sell and if it did, you'd have to wait for
Win99 Support Pack 1 to actually USE it and then Win99 Support Pack 2 plus
the optional driver pack to actually use it for anything really useful and
THEN a whole new class of people would learn that "End Task" really means
"Restart".

Marc

--
"And the beast shall come forth surrounded by a roiling cloud of vengeance.
 The house of the unbelievers shall be razed and they shall be scorched to

Post by Paul Hopp » Thu, 27 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> >Try MacOS 8. It's pretty stable --- more so than my roommate's Win95 box.
> ohh yes , very stable.  A long as you don't press the mouse button on
> the apple menu for too long. the whole system comes to a stop. Must be
> a feature.

> don't forget the amount of time it takes just to draw a folders
> contents.    Last but not least, the trash can that just forgets that
> you can drag to it.  I almost forgot those annoying cascading apple
> menu items which is fixed by a restart.

> >> If you got linux working, why are you interested in NT for PPC?  There's
> >> a hell of a lot more UNIX software out there than software for NT/PPC.

> >This is a very good point. Under Linux, you simply compile the source code.

> >> Yeah, whatever.  You sound a bit trollish today.

> >And I can't see how someone who "loves" his PC can do a Mac site any
> >justice in terms of adequate support.
> Macs are absolute childs play compared to a pc.  If you can master a
> pc then you can support a mac with your eyes closed.
> > The two platforms have a completely
> >different mindset and way of doing things. Must be a troll... Anyone worth
> >their weight in "Mac support" would have a hard time making a living ---
> >cause there just isn't that much to go wrong. One tech can support 2,
> >maybe 3 times more macs than PCs.

> >And NT has no drivers for Apple Power Macintosh computers... hence they
> >won't work.
> maybe that might change seeming as Microsoft has decided to invest in
> apple.   Hmmm, am I looking forward to Windows 99 for the MacOS :)

Windows 99 hmmmmmmmmmmm........oh yea I remember that, MAC OS 7.5......

Post by Brendon Brya » Fri, 28 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>> >OK,

>> >I have succesfully installed Linux with an Open Firmware boot disk on
>> >My powermac 7200/120mhz/48mb/1.2gig.

>> >But , what I am after is some other *y os then the
>> >CRASHING MAC!!!!!   I have been told by a few people at my work
>> >that they have seen NT3.51 on a PowerMac working.

>Try MacOS 8. It's pretty stable --- more so than my roommate's Win95 box.

ohh yes , very stable.  A long as you don't press the mouse button on
the apple menu for too long. the whole system comes to a stop. Must be
a feature.

don't forget the amount of time it takes just to draw a folders
contents.    Last but not least, the trash can that just forgets that
you can drag to it.  I almost forgot those annoying cascading apple
menu items which is fixed by a restart.

Quote:>> If you got linux working, why are you interested in NT for PPC?  There's
>> a hell of a lot more UNIX software out there than software for NT/PPC.

>This is a very good point. Under Linux, you simply compile the source code.

>> >Please help as the mac os is starting to annoy me.

>> >BTW,  I do mac support for the 4th largest mac site in the world.
>> >It pays ok, but I love my PC :)

>> Yeah, whatever.  You sound a bit trollish today.

>And I can't see how someone who "loves" his PC can do a Mac site any
>justice in terms of adequate support.

Macs are absolute childs play compared to a pc.  If you can master a
pc then you can support a mac with your eyes closed.
Quote:> The two platforms have a completely
>different mindset and way of doing things. Must be a troll... Anyone worth
>their weight in "Mac support" would have a hard time making a living ---
>cause there just isn't that much to go wrong. One tech can support 2,
>maybe 3 times more macs than PCs.

>And NT has no drivers for Apple Power Macintosh computers... hence they
>won't work.

maybe that might change seeming as Microsoft has decided to invest in
apple.   Hmmm, am I looking forward to Windows 99 for the MacOS :)

NT3.51 or 4 on a PowerPC Mac 7200???

Post by Brendon Brya » Fri, 28 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>In article

>}

>}> >OK,
>}> >
>}> >I have succesfully installed Linux with an Open Firmware boot disk on
>}> >My powermac 7200/120mhz/48mb/1.2gig.
>}> >
>}> >
>}> >But , what I am after is some other *y os then the
>}> >CRASHING MAC!!!!!   I have been told by a few people at my work
>}> >that they have seen NT3.51 on a PowerMac working.

>NT PPC was scrapt. So you won't get any support from them. It was designed
>for the IBM PPC AIX alternative. I have never Heard of it working on a
>Apple Computer.
>But It might happen.

>}Try MacOS 8. It's pretty stable --- more so than my roommate's Win95 box.

>I work in Tech Support for an ISP and We Get more Calls from Win95 users
>who just can't connect. nothing wrong with settings but if we uninstall
>their drivers and reinstall it works.. (Uninstalling and instaling on pc
>Bites) There is no easy way to just shut off installed components like
>there is on a Mac. But I digress

remove dialup n/w then reinstall it.  that must be hard.

Quote:>}> If you got linux working, why are you interested in NT for PPC?  There's
>}> a hell of a lot more UNIX software out there than software for NT/PPC.
>}
>}This is a very good point. Under Linux, you simply compile the source code.

>And if it doesn't work most time you just have to change some permisions
>or some other simple compile change but 9-10 works every time.

>}> >Please help as the mac os is starting to annoy me.
>}> >
>}> >BTW,  I do mac support for the 4th largest mac site in the world.
>}> >It pays ok, but I love my PC :)
>}>
>}> Yeah, whatever.  You sound a bit trollish today.
>}
>}And I can't see how someone who "loves" his PC can do a Mac site any
>}justice in terms of adequate support. The two platforms have a completely
>}different mindset and way of doing things. Must be a troll... Anyone worth
>}their weight in "Mac support" would have a hard time making a living ---
>}cause there just isn't that much to go wrong. One tech can support 2,
>}maybe 3 times more macs than PCs.

>Exactly, I am the only true Mac user at this isp I work at. I prefer to
>use the Mac even thought they put me at a win 95 machine. Yet I can get
>95% of all macs connected in just min..where win95 you have to play with
>every fricking setting till it likes it.. which may take forever!

yes, for changing networking settings with Open Transport its easy.

Quote:>}And NT has no drivers for Apple Power Macintosh computers... hence they
>}won't work.
>I would have to second that

1. SCO 5.0 -> NT3.51 FTP

Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience with SCO 5.0 ftp files to a NT 3.51
box.  I have written a shell script that puts ftp in binary mode
then mput's files onto the NT box.

The nt ftp server say's it doesn't understand the protocol and
sets it to ascii.  This stuffs up the files.  The annoying thing
is that it all work ok from a SCO 3.2v4.2 server.

Any Ideas.

2. cu wont keep connection

3. LILO/WIN95/WFWG/NT3.51

4. S3-928, 4meg, VGA/BNC RGB Connectors forsale

5. Installing NT3.51 & RedHat 3.0.3

6. Help with ksld

7. Installing Linux over Windows NT3.51

8. Race condition with MOD_INC_USE_COUNT?

9. ISDN Network problem, ipfwadm, NT3.51, Win 95, wingate

10. Remote Printing to NT3.51

11. Can not telnet from unix to NT3.51

12. NT3.51/95/Slack3.0

13. problems with smbfs & NT3.51