install LPPC2K problem on 7600/132... rpm exit with 256???

install LPPC2K problem on 7600/132... rpm exit with 256???

Post by collectib.. » Mon, 15 May 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for any tips in advance.

I admit to being a newbie with LinuxPPC. I've been trying to install on a
1.2 G hard drive on my PowerMac 7600/132 w/144 megs Ram and get as far as
installing packages then "...failed to install..rpm exited with 256" is the
error message.

I've partitioned the disk with OS9 Disk Setup as per instructions and also
used the pdisk to partition but both methods haven't solved my problem. I've
tried 900mgs /root and 100mgs swap and a few variations I've seen posted but
still hit on that error message.

I'm hoping someone has a tip to try next. I think I've been pretty logical
with the documentation but must be missing something.

Thanks,
Vinny
--
Please visit TheGuitarZone. I'm building a site that should be an excellent
resource for guitarplayers of all types.

install LPPC2K problem on 7600/132... rpm exit with 256???

Post by Clarence R Carlso » Tue, 16 May 2000 04:00:00

Vinny et al:
 I am having the same identical problem installing linuxPPC 2K, on my
iMac 333 machine. My partitions are set up like yours. I run the
"select packages" (which comes up on it's own, after you do the mount
drive thing) and about every third or fourth one comes up with "failed
to install, exit at 256" I ran it with the xwindow and I noted that
often it was a failure to be able to open the archive and "sym link
failed". I have completely done everything over about 4 times and still
can't get the installer to put everything using CD.
 Anyone have any ideas????

Quote:> Thanks for any tips in advance.

> I admit to being a newbie with LinuxPPC. I've been trying to install
on a
> 1.2 G hard drive on my PowerMac 7600/132 w/144 megs Ram and get as
far as
> installing packages then "...failed to install..rpm exited with 256"
is the
> error message.
> with the documentation but must be missing something.

************SNIP***********

Quote:> Thanks,

--
"The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook."
                                    William James

Clarence R Carlson

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Installing Linuxconf on 7600/132

After first blowing away the partition map (oops), I have LinuxPPC running
on a beige Power Macintosh 7600/132 after running the default installation
set.

However, when I chose to install the linuxconf rpm, the installer exited out
with a 256. I open a terminal window, mount the LinuxPPC CD, try to install
the rpm again, and get a message like "Unable to install, libgd.so.1 is a
required file, not found" (that's the gist of it, it's not verbatim). I cd
over to /usr/lib and no libgd.so.1 ...?

Any other similar experiences, I'm very new to the whole Linux thing so I'm
not frustrated, actually having fun trying to figure this stuff out ...

2. Kernel 1.1.54 woundn't compile on a Pentium PCI system

3. Installation LinuxPPC sur PowerPC 7600/132

4. Sockets in SUN Solaris??

5. failed to install. rpm exited with 256

6. DualBooting: LiLo: SCSI and IDE Problem

7. Trouble reinstalling: rpm exited with 256

8. Putting X-Disclaimers in mail messages

9. Error: "rpm exit with 256."

10. Get error when install open server: exit value 1 status:256

11. Major problems installing LinuxPPC on a 7600/200 PPC, HELP!!!

12. 7248-132 (43P-132) <-- Is it worth a processor upgrade ??

13. Problems installing LinuxPPC 2000 on std 8500/132