More R5 install woes

Post by Tony Schount » Mon, 12 Jul 1999 04:00:00

A few days ago I registered my difficulties on getting R5 to install on
my Supermac C600. Several replies were posted, however none of the
proposed solutions resolved my difficulties. I appreciate the efforts,
but I'm beginning to think there is no easy solution to the problem. I'm
using R4 with only occasional lock-ups (Netscape), but still no R5.

Interestingly, now when I try to boot using the CD-ROM installer, X
windows fails to start and I get the RedHat intstaller. But when I
select the CD-ROM for the installation source, RedHat tries to mount the
CD-ROM and it fails, with a message stating that the CD-ROM drive is
busy.

If I select the hard drive partition on which I have the install files
copied (according to the work around on the linux.com home page) the
installer attempts to load the second stage ramdisk (or maybe it's a
filesystem, can't recall at the moment), then I get knocked out of the
redhat installer to a blank black line at the bottom of the screen.
CTRL-Z gets me into a shell. If I type 'install' the redhat installer
comes back, but all the letters are gray instead of black. No clue what
this is.

So, is there a way to intall R5 onto additional partitions that I have
set up from *within* R4? R4 seems fairly stable and if I can use the
installer from an R4 xterm that might do the trick for me. My linux set
up at this point is:

hda9 = R4 root
hda10= R4 swap

hda5 (500m), hda6 (300m), hda7 (200m), and hda8 (100m) are available for
installing R5.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tony

More R5 install woes

Post by Ric » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I have a C500. When the X windows installer DID start up for me, it
didnt work. On my machine, I had to put in the ,Red Hat argument after
the ramdisk argument. The Red Hat installer then worked for me. The
other thing I had to do was do a default install, and then install the
things I wanted later. Very strange. PPP still doesnt work right. I have
to use netcfg to get ppp going.

Quote:> A few days ago I registered my difficulties on getting R5 to install on
> my Supermac C600. Several replies were posted, however none of the
> proposed solutions resolved my difficulties. I appreciate the efforts,
> but I'm beginning to think there is no easy solution to the problem. I'm
> using R4 with only occasional lock-ups (Netscape), but still no R5.

> Interestingly, now when I try to boot using the CD-ROM installer, X
> windows fails to start and I get the RedHat intstaller. But when I
> select the CD-ROM for the installation source, RedHat tries to mount the
> CD-ROM and it fails, with a message stating that the CD-ROM drive is
> busy.

> If I select the hard drive partition on which I have the install files
> copied (according to the work around on the linux.com home page) the
> installer attempts to load the second stage ramdisk (or maybe it's a
> filesystem, can't recall at the moment), then I get knocked out of the
> redhat installer to a blank black line at the bottom of the screen.
> CTRL-Z gets me into a shell. If I type 'install' the redhat installer
> comes back, but all the letters are gray instead of black. No clue what
> this is.

> So, is there a way to intall R5 onto additional partitions that I have
> set up from *within* R4? R4 seems fairly stable and if I can use the
> installer from an R4 xterm that might do the trick for me. My linux set
> up at this point is:

> hda9 = R4 root
> hda10= R4 swap

> hda5 (500m), hda6 (300m), hda7 (200m), and hda8 (100m) are available for
> installing R5.

> Thanks for any suggestions.

> Tony

1. CD-RW mounting woes in Mandrake 7.0 woe oh woe oh woe!

I hate to ask the often answered, but I have a TDK VeloCD CD-RW in my PII
233 machine installed as a master on the secondary IDE. I'm running
Mandrake-linux 7.0, and of course I get the bad link problem. I have run the
fix suggested on Mandrake's Web-page, but I can't figure a way to make the
fix either permenant or automatic. The fix (in case you haven't seen it is
to run "cdrecord -scanbus" to check for the presence of a working CD-RW,
then to type "cd /dev && rm cdrom && ln -s scd0 cdrom" in a terminal) This
fix works but there's got to be a better way...any thoughts.

2. PPP, Netscape, and Firewall

3. Further R5 compilation woes

4. pnp SB16

5. R5 Installation Woes

6. launching MySQL and socket problem

7. R5 X palette woes: more colors?

8. --> Perl Hacker: where are you now that I need ya?

9. R5 iMac & X Woes

10. iMac Woes On R5

11. r5 [Fwd: Re: pre-R5 installer?]

12. Pre R5 files from cdrom.com with final R5 and CD-format

13. XF86 Config set-up woes & woes & woes