Boot problems with LinuxPPC and 6400/180

Boot problems with LinuxPPC and 6400/180

Post by Jorge Lope » Mon, 13 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

    I am trying to get the install of linuxPPC to work on my 6400/180.  Here
is the system config

Performa 6400/180

136 MB Real RAM
External Modem
CD Rom
Nothing on the external SCSI

I can only seem to get the machine to boot from floppy.  Anytime I have
tried to boot from the drive, it just will not work.  I've tried everything
from setting it to boot off the internal SCSI Which just gives me nothing at
all.  Just sits there.

Setting it to IDE is a little different.

At First, my IDE was set to a 1.6 GB HFS partition.  The SCSI drive was
partitioned to 8 partitions there was a: 1.6 GB HFS, 1 GB BFS (Be File
System), A/UX root (linuxPPC) sda5, A/UX root (mklinux)sda6, A/UX Usr sda7,
and A/UX swap sda8.  I placed the vmlinux onto my IDE HFS partition at hda5.
 Set boot variables to

boot-file /vmlinux root=/dev/sda5
load-base 100000 (even 10000 or 1000000)

upon rebooting, i get the first chime then a screen that says "Cannot Open:
/vmlinux"

I went back and changed my IDE so that it had a 250 MB root partition and
the rest was HFS.  (hda5 hda6) placed a vmlinux in the hda6 HFS partition,
and set my boot variables to:

boot-file /vmlinux root=/dev/hda5
load-base 100000 (even 10000 or 1000000)

I got this error "Cannot find a bootable HFS Partition."

Can someone give me some insight?  I've read ever FAQ out there and have
exhasted my resources and patience.  Can you tell me exactly what
boot-device does and what boot-file does?  Just so I am clear on it.

NOTE:  linuxppc only works from floppy.  However, I cannot seem to use my
Twin Turbo Card at all even if I update the vmlinux to the twin turbo
version.  It still send video to the onboard which uses 1 MB soldered VRAM
that makes it impossible to view anything on my 17" monitor. I am hoping
that by booting from the vmlinux on the drive it will go straight to the
card like i asked it to.  I've set OF so that output-device is:

vmlinux.coff thus why i am trying to get away from the floppy business.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

-j

Boot problems with LinuxPPC and 6400/180

Post by Alvaro Zunig » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi:
I have been having similar problems on my 6360 which is supposed to be
fairly similar. Recently I learned about the new installer.coff that sets
your computer to boot automatically. I have not been able to boot with out
the floppy yet but I also read someplace that the 6400 has an open firmware
problem when booting of scsi.

I have not tried this manually so I do not know if the installer change any
variables other. But you need to set the boot variables to

fd:installer.coff
root=/dev/sda5 noinitrd

to boot onto sda5 as root. noinitrd tells the installer not to use the
initial ramdisk.

Hope this is help full. I am now having a blast on my newly installed
LinuxPPC. Let me know if you get it to boot directly from the disk.

Alvaro Zuniga

Post by Alber » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>Let me know if you get it to boot directly from the disk.

>Alvaro Zuniga

I installed LinuxPPC on a scsi-drive and I have been told that it is
impossible to boot with a Perf. 6400 from a SCSI-drive, but it should be
possible from an IDE-drive. You can search in the Linux-pmac mailinglist
how to boot a 6400 from the internal IDE-disk.

Albert

1. Sound problems on a Performa 6400/180

Hello all,

I installed LinuxPPC/2000 on my Performa 6400/180 last night. It works
wonderfully, at least compared to previous releases. I managed to get this
one to play MP3s, which I couldn't make LinuxPPC/Q3 1999 do. Therein lies
the problem.

When I plug headphones into the headphone jack on the front of the tower,
sound continues to play through both the headphones AND the external
speakers. To play sound through just the headphones, I have to plug them
into the speaker jack on the headphones and turn down the computer's
internal subwoofer. Is this one of those "It's not a bug. It's a feature"
things or is there some way to correct this. It works just fine under the
Mac OS.

TIA

Dave Corder

--
Dave Corder

Remove no-spam!!! from email address to reply.

?/(c) Copyright David W. Corder 2000. Publishing and/or relaying of this
material on all forums other than USENET implies agreeing to a consultancy
fee of US$150 per posting. You must obtain a written permit before you
publish. Violators are subject to civil prosecution for Copyright
Infringement as applicable. Publication by C|NET and Microsoft Networks
expressly prohibited.

2. commo app for bbs

3. X problem on Performa 6400/180

4. Serial Port reading

5. X and Mac Performa 6400/180

6. Using ADSL

7. INSTALL: 6400/180 kernel panick

8. Q:Installing Redhat5.1 on AlphaStation 200?

9. "Save yourself" errors & others on Performa 6400/180

10. X on 6400/180 YDL Choosing wrong video?

11. 6400/180 kernel compile..

12. LinuxPPC R4 boot on 5400/180 vmlinux.coff

13. Booting linuxppc on 6400 from zip drive?