yaboot problem

Post by Hans-Helmut Kohl » Sun, 10 Dec 2000 19:45:30

hi,

(1)
i have installed linuxppc2000 and it wont properly boot.
it is running as the only OS on an iBook, the /root partition was created as
hda8.

starting from HD i get the following error message:

    device not found

looking at /etc/fstab the /partition is LABEL=8466104e instead of the
expected dev/hda8 , are there any special setting for this in yaboot.conf?

it is as following now

    init-message = "\nWelcome to LinuxPPC!\nHit <TAB> for boot options.\n\n"
    timeout = 50
    default = linuxppc
    image = hd8:,vmlinux.2.2.15pre3
    label = linuxppc
    novideo

(2)
after not being able to at all, for quite some time i accidentally had a not
bootable MacVolume-CD containing a copy of System 9.0 inserted, pressing "c"
while starting up caused the installed linux to boot, does anyone know what
causes this effect?

thanks for help
Hans-Helmut Kohls

yaboot problem

Post by Hans-Helmut Kohl » Mon, 11 Dec 2000 01:33:50

Hi again,

and thanks, but this did not work error as earlier,
while starting yaboot during startup there is a line:
    boot: <NULL>

    image not found........ try again

i wonder if the line "default = linuxppc" in the yaboot.conf might need to
be altered?

Hans

Quote:> + (1)
> + i have installed linuxppc2000 and it wont properly boot.
> + it is running as the only OS on an iBook, the /root partition was created as
> + hda8.

> + starting from HD i get the following error message:
> +
> +     device not found

> + looking at /etc/fstab the /partition is LABEL=8466104e instead of the
> + expected dev/hda8 , are there any special setting for this in yaboot.conf?

> + it is as following now

> +     init-message = "\nWelcome to LinuxPPC!\nHit <TAB> for boot options.\n\n"
> +     timeout = 50
> +     default = linuxppc
> +     image = hd8:,vmlinux.2.2.15pre3
> +     label = linuxppc
> +     novideo

> try

> image=hd:8,\\vmlinux.2.2.15pre3

> adjust the number of \ to taste, make sure the kernel names match

yaboot problem

Post by Jinke » Mon, 11 Dec 2000 10:06:34

at the boot: prompt type linuxppc

"boot:linuxppc"

--
Dave Jordan
Jordan Ink. Designs

Home Page
http://people.atl.mediaone.net/jinker/apple.html

A computer without a Microsoft operating system
is like a dog without bricks tied to its head.

Click a button to feed people.
http://www.thehungersite.com/

yaboot problem

Post by Charles Joseph Kurl » Wed, 03 Jan 2001 22:45:33

> hi,

> (1)
> i have installed linuxppc2000 and it wont properly boot.
> it is running as the only OS on an iBook, the /root partition was created as
> hda8.

> starting from HD i get the following error message:

>     device not found

> looking at /etc/fstab the /partition is LABEL=8466104e instead of the
> expected dev/hda8 , are there any special setting for this in yaboot.conf?

> it is as following now

>     init-message = "\nWelcome to LinuxPPC!\nHit <TAB> for boot options.\n\n"
>     timeout = 50
>     default = linuxppc
>     image = hd8:,vmlinux.2.2.15pre3
>     label = linuxppc
>     novideo

> (2)
> after not being able to at all, for quite some time i accidentally had a not
> bootable MacVolume-CD containing a copy of System 9.0 inserted, pressing "c"
> while starting up caused the installed linux to boot, does anyone know what
> causes this effect?

> thanks for help
> Hans-Helmut Kohls

The kernal image = hd8:,vmlinux.2.2.15pre3 needs to be
located on an HFS drive from my experiences.  I have image =
hda5:,vmlinux in yaboot.conf where yaboot.conf and
yaboot.tbxi are at the top of my hda5 partition which is the
first hard drive on the MacOS side.  Hope that helps.  Some
people put  yaboot.conf and yaboot.tbxi in the System Folder
where you may need an extra "\" before vmlinux.

yaboot problem

Post by Noah Macaskil » Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:02:35

it is clearly stated in the yaboot FAQ that the kernel can be on ANY type of
partition (HFS, HFS+, Unix) your problem is this:

    image = hd8:,vmlinux.2.2.15pre3

you made a typo in your yaboot.conf file, it should read:

    image = hd:8,vmlinux.2.2.15pre3

the partition number comes AFTER the :       hd:8 not hd8:

i did the same thing and it gave me the same error message

----------

>> hi,

>> (1)
>> i have installed linuxppc2000 and it wont properly boot.
>> it is running as the only OS on an iBook, the /root partition was created as
>> hda8.

>> starting from HD i get the following error message:

>>     device not found

>> looking at /etc/fstab the /partition is LABEL=8466104e instead of the
>> expected dev/hda8 , are there any special setting for this in yaboot.conf?

>> it is as following now

>>     init-message = "\nWelcome to LinuxPPC!\nHit <TAB> for boot options.\n\n"
>>     timeout = 50
>>     default = linuxppc
>>     image = hd8:,vmlinux.2.2.15pre3
>>     label = linuxppc
>>     novideo

>> (2)
>> after not being able to at all, for quite some time i accidentally had a not
>> bootable MacVolume-CD containing a copy of System 9.0 inserted, pressing "c"
>> while starting up caused the installed linux to boot, does anyone know what
>> causes this effect?

>> thanks for help
>> Hans-Helmut Kohls

> The kernal image = hd8:,vmlinux.2.2.15pre3 needs to be
> located on an HFS drive from my experiences.  I have image =
> hda5:,vmlinux in yaboot.conf where yaboot.conf and
> yaboot.tbxi are at the top of my hda5 partition which is the
> first hard drive on the MacOS side.  Hope that helps.  Some
> people put  yaboot.conf and yaboot.tbxi in the System Folder
> where you may need an extra "\" before vmlinux.

1. Suse 7.0 for PowerPC on B&W G3 400 yaboot problem

Hi, helpful Linux gods/godesses:

Here's the setup:

B&W G3 400Mhz Rev. 1 (I believe)
Adaptec 2940 U2W LVD with:
1 8.5 GB SCSI drive, with MacOS only
1 18 GB SCA-to-SCSI adapterized drive for Suse, with HFS Standard boot
partition and non-clobbered Apple partitions, and several Linux partitions

Problem:

When installing Suse Linux 7.0 for PowerPC, everything goes fairly well
(with some problems with my ADB mouse in X), but no other observable
problems. I follow Suse's instructions for implementing the suseboot OF
script for selecting to boot to my MacOS drive and to the Suse drive.
Unfortunately, whatever program/script reads the OF information appends
"/compatible/" to the OF boot-device and boot-file strings, leaving me with
this:

er"

And thereby, making OF not find the device or file to boot from.

Now, I've done some monkeying to resolve this without bothering you:

* Change OF settings for boot-device and boot-file, which at least got
yaboot loading, BUT... now yaboot loads and responds to entering return at
the prompt by clearing the screen and re-presenting the same prompt. I hear
a "click" of disk activity as the screen clears, but the loop continues.
* Changed yaboot.conf to reflect the removal of "/compatible/", but realized
that I need to write that to the boot sectors (which is what I assume yaboot
needs). Suse doesn't seem to use ybin within their lilo to write the boot
records, so...

My questions:

* What does Suse 7.0 PowerPC actually do when you launch Lilo? I've been
unable to find any docs on that (please point me the right way if I'm merely
ignorant). Does it launch other scripts and programs to do it's dirty work?
* Where is lilo getting that blasted "/compatible/" junk from? OF has never
had anything resembling that on my Mac (before installing Suse or after
zapping the NVRAM and re-setting the startup disk). Has anyone else battled
through this?
* How do I merely configure yaboot without running the (possibly broken)
lilo?

I am new to Suse, coming from RH 5.2/6.2/7.0 for Intel and LinuxPPC
2000/2000 Q4 and BootX. Suse looks to be a much more pleasant experience
than either RH or LinuxPPC (with LinuxPPC being basically RH), and I'm eager
to get started with it, so I'd greatly appreciate your help in getting me
over this hump!

If you need more info, please ask!

Thanks,
Jesse Adelman

SF, CA

2. OpenLDAP

3. yaboot problems

4. Intel dx2/66 or AMD dx4/100?

5. Yaboot problem

6. SuSe 7.0 & openssh

7. yaboot problems G4

8. Books on Socket programming

9. YDL 2.0 and Yaboot -- Problem Dual Booting with Mac OS

10. 8 Gigabyte limit? or, Yaboot problem

11. A strange yaboot problem

12. strange yaboot problem. help appreciated

13. yaboot/yaboot.conf?