yaboot problems

Post by Daniel Larime » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hello,
    I have a dual G4 with 768mb of Ram.  I can't even get to the yaboot
screen when I start up.  My monitor is just blank.  I have tried messing
with the kernel, but figure that isn't the problem.  I tried creating a fake
system folder on a extra partition, I get nothing.  BootX doesn't work
either.  Any ideas?  How to I get the latest version of yaboot?

    Dan

yaboot problems

Have a look at the ybin site - http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/ybin/

--
Alan R Barker

yaboot problems

Post by T.Heierl » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Hello,
>     I have a dual G4 with 768mb of Ram.  I can't even get to the yaboot
> screen when I start up.  My monitor is just blank.  I have tried messing
> with the kernel, but figure that isn't the problem.  I tried creating a fake
> system folder on a extra partition, I get nothing.  BootX doesn't work
> either.  Any ideas?  How to I get the latest version of yaboot?

>     Dan

try to boot by holding down apple+ALT+O+F,
this will boot into Open Firmware.
if you will be curious about what you see there,
read the apple-tech infos about Open Firmware.
if you now on which partition your yaboot is located,
just type     boot hda:9,yaboot        <--- it should work on the first
partition (ata disk)
ok, if you have green text on black screen now, that was working fine.
if you need some more advice this may bee a good url:
http://ppclinux.apple.com

about the latest version of yaboot:
i still try to use the yaboot0_9,
found on that page, but without success.
yaboot0_4 was the only version running on my cube.

another tip, if you modify the yaboot.conf, do it with
bbedit or another editor, which is able to read unix-files.

good luck at all
tom

yaboot problems

Post by visc.. » Wed, 11 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Hello,
>     I have a dual G4 with 768mb of Ram.  I can't even get to the yaboot
> screen when I start up.  My monitor is just blank.  I have tried messing
> with the kernel, but figure that isn't the problem.  I tried creating a fake
> system folder on a extra partition, I get nothing.  BootX doesn't work
> either.  Any ideas?  How to I get the latest version of yaboot?

>     Dan

Depending on what flavor of linux you have, I believe YLD is not
totally there yet, kernel-wise, for a dual G4. That may be true of
other linux flavors as well. Check with the website of whichever linux
flavor you're using, and see if the dual G4 processor is
supported. Last I checked, I think YDL's dual G4 kernel mod was still
in beta test.

Steve

--

Department of Zoology, Box 351800 Kincaid Hall
University of Washington

yaboot problems

Post by tom » Wed, 11 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Hello,
>     I have a dual G4 with 768mb of Ram.  I can't even get to the yaboot
> screen when I start up.  My monitor is just blank.  I have tried messing
> with the kernel, but figure that isn't the problem.  I tried creating a fake
> system folder on a extra partition, I get nothing.  BootX doesn't work
> either.  Any ideas?  How to I get the latest version of yaboot?

>     Dan

There's another helpfull Page

http://penguinppc.org/usr/ybin/doc/yaboot-faq.php3

yaboot problems

Post by Roberto Wa » Fri, 13 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>768mb of Ram.

Did you tell the kernel that you have more than 692MB RAM?

--
Ciao!
Walla

           El Senyor s la meva for?a, el Senyor el meu cant.
        Ell m'ha estat la salvaci. En Ell confo, i no tinc por.
  Newsmaster - Rete Civica di Milano - http://www.retecivica.milano.it
  PGP Fingerprint: 3842 A978 F462 4108 3496  3AD4 0E40 CF8A 2725 C0C2

yaboot problems

Post by Darre » Tue, 17 Oct 2000 04:00:00

use append="mem=692M"

Darren

> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.powerpc
> Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 14:40:26 +0200
> Subject: Re: yaboot problems

>> 768mb of Ram.

> Did you tell the kernel that you have more than 692MB RAM?

> --
> Ciao!
> Walla

> El Senyor s la meva for?a, el Senyor el meu cant.
> Ell m'ha estat la salvaci. En Ell confo, i no tinc por.
> Newsmaster - Rete Civica di Milano - http://www.retecivica.milano.it
> PGP Fingerprint: 3842 A978 F462 4108 3496  3AD4 0E40 CF8A 2725 C0C2

1. Suse 7.0 for PowerPC on B&W G3 400 yaboot problem

Hi, helpful Linux gods/godesses:

Here's the setup:

B&W G3 400Mhz Rev. 1 (I believe)
Adaptec 2940 U2W LVD with:
1 8.5 GB SCSI drive, with MacOS only
1 18 GB SCA-to-SCSI adapterized drive for Suse, with HFS Standard boot
partition and non-clobbered Apple partitions, and several Linux partitions

Problem:

When installing Suse Linux 7.0 for PowerPC, everything goes fairly well
(with some problems with my ADB mouse in X), but no other observable
problems. I follow Suse's instructions for implementing the suseboot OF
script for selecting to boot to my MacOS drive and to the Suse drive.
Unfortunately, whatever program/script reads the OF information appends
"/compatible/" to the OF boot-device and boot-file strings, leaving me with
this:

er"

And thereby, making OF not find the device or file to boot from.

Now, I've done some monkeying to resolve this without bothering you:

* Change OF settings for boot-device and boot-file, which at least got
yaboot loading, BUT... now yaboot loads and responds to entering return at
the prompt by clearing the screen and re-presenting the same prompt. I hear
a "click" of disk activity as the screen clears, but the loop continues.
* Changed yaboot.conf to reflect the removal of "/compatible/", but realized
that I need to write that to the boot sectors (which is what I assume yaboot
needs). Suse doesn't seem to use ybin within their lilo to write the boot
records, so...

My questions:

* What does Suse 7.0 PowerPC actually do when you launch Lilo? I've been
unable to find any docs on that (please point me the right way if I'm merely
ignorant). Does it launch other scripts and programs to do it's dirty work?
* Where is lilo getting that blasted "/compatible/" junk from? OF has never
had anything resembling that on my Mac (before installing Suse or after
zapping the NVRAM and re-setting the startup disk). Has anyone else battled
through this?
* How do I merely configure yaboot without running the (possibly broken)
lilo?

I am new to Suse, coming from RH 5.2/6.2/7.0 for Intel and LinuxPPC
2000/2000 Q4 and BootX. Suse looks to be a much more pleasant experience
than either RH or LinuxPPC (with LinuxPPC being basically RH), and I'm eager
to get started with it, so I'd greatly appreciate your help in getting me
over this hump!

If you need more info, please ask!

Thanks,
Jesse Adelman

SF, CA

2. Internet Relay Chat for Solaris 2.3

3. Yaboot problem

4. Working with floating point numbers

5. yaboot problem

6. Update - Sun's PPP/TCP-IP problem

7. yaboot problems G4

8. Networking Problems

9. YDL 2.0 and Yaboot -- Problem Dual Booting with Mac OS

10. 8 Gigabyte limit? or, Yaboot problem

11. A strange yaboot problem

12. strange yaboot problem. help appreciated

13. yaboot/yaboot.conf?