G4 - Kernel 2.2.15pre7 - USB problems :-(

G4 - Kernel 2.2.15pre7 - USB problems :-(

Post by Randy Sandber » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hello all,

I'm hoping you can help me. I've got an AGP-2x based G4 that has been
running Ben H's "vmlinux.benh.15" pre-built kernel for some time now.
Everything works. Including my stock Apple USB keyboard & mouse. Now, I just
rsync'ed the "latest-pmac-stable" (i.e., 2.2.15pre7) from linuxcare.com.au.
I didn't apply any patches (should I?). I followed the building
instructions:

1. make mrproper
2. make pmac_config
3. make menuconfig
Note: I only changed one thing (CONFIG_ALTIVEC=yes).
Moreover, I've tried these variations:
 a. USB support = No (The way it came)
 b. USB support = Yes (+ USB bus, keyboard, and mouse)
 b. USB support = Module (+ USB bus, keyboard, and mouse)
4. make dep
5. make clean
6. make vmlinux
7. make modules
8. make modules_install
9. depmod -a 2.2.15pre7

Everything seems to go well (except when I do make mrproper, all goes well
to the end and then it gives me an error number 126???). Otherwise all other
steps seem to do fine.

When I reboot with the new kernel, System.map, modules, in their proper
location using BootX 1.2 one of two thing occur:

1. Everything goes well, except I see no mention of USB devices being found
(unlike Ben H's pre-built kernel) and when I'm finally at the prompt I can't
type anything (i.e., no keyboard nor mouse activity).

2. The system hangs just bootram info usually comes up. I've found that this
is fixed by either checking or unchecking the "No video driver" choice in
BootX. Note: That's right, if it's checked and the system hangs during boot
all I do is reboot, uncheck the box and all is well. And if it's not checked
and the system hangs during boot, all I do is reboot and check the box
(weird???) and all is fine. Except for I can use my keyboard nor mouse (And
"m not talking about problems in XWindows... My problems at the terminal).

Thanks for any suggestions, pointers, etc., in advance :-)

Randy

P.S. The Server Development Group, here at Apple in Cupertino, California,
USA, may be looking for a few people to work in our group as
Software/Hardware Test Engineers (i.e., bug hunters). Unix experience, or
the desire to learn it, is a huge plus. Please let my know if you're
interested.

--
Randy Sandberg
Test Engineer

G4 - Kernel 2.2.15pre7 - USB problems :-(

Post by Randy Sandber » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello all,

> I'm hoping you can help me. I've got an AGP-2x based G4 that has been
> running Ben H's "vmlinux.benh.15" pre-built kernel for some time now.
> Everything works. Including my stock Apple USB keyboard & mouse. Now, I just
> rsync'ed the "latest-pmac-stable" (i.e., 2.2.15pre7) from linuxcare.com.au.
> I didn't apply any patches (should I?). I followed the building
> instructions:

> 1. make mrproper
> 2. make pmac_config
> 3. make menuconfig
> Note: I only changed one thing (CONFIG_ALTIVEC=yes).
> Moreover, I've tried these variations:
> a. USB support = No (The way it came)
> b. USB support = Yes (+ USB bus, keyboard, and mouse)
> b. USB support = Module (+ USB bus, keyboard, and mouse)
> 4. make dep
> 5. make clean
> 6. make vmlinux
> 7. make modules
> 8. make modules_install
> 9. depmod -a 2.2.15pre7

> Everything seems to go well (except when I do make mrproper, all goes well
> to the end and then it gives me an error number 126???). Otherwise all other
> steps seem to do fine.

> When I reboot with the new kernel, System.map, modules, in their proper
> location using BootX 1.2 one of two thing occur:

> 1. Everything goes well, except I see no mention of USB devices being found
> (unlike Ben H's pre-built kernel) and when I'm finally at the prompt I can't
> type anything (i.e., no keyboard nor mouse activity).

> 2. The system hangs just bootram info usually comes up. I've found that this
> is fixed by either checking or unchecking the "No video driver" choice in
> BootX. Note: That's right, if it's checked and the system hangs during boot
> all I do is reboot, uncheck the box and all is well. And if it's not checked
> and the system hangs during boot, all I do is reboot and check the box
> (weird???) and all is fine. Except for I can use my keyboard nor mouse (And
> "m not talking about problems in XWindows... My problems at the terminal).

> Thanks for any suggestions, pointers, etc., in advance :-)

> Randy

> P.S. The Server Development Group, here at Apple in Cupertino, California,
> USA, may be looking for a few people to work in our group as
> Software/Hardware Test Engineers (i.e., bug hunters). Unix experience, or
> the desire to learn it, is a huge plus. Please let my know if you're
> interested.

So, I meant to say:

2. The system hangs JUST BEFORE THE bootram info usually comes up. I've
found that this is fixed by either checking or unchecking the "No video
driver" choice in BootX.

Note: That's right, if it's checked and the system hangs during boot all I
do is reboot, uncheck the box and all is well. And if it's not checked and
the system hangs during boot, all I do is reboot and check the box
(weird???) and all is well. Except for I STILL CAN'T use my keyboard nor
mouse (And I'M not talking about problems in XWindows... My problems ARE at
the terminal).

Sorry about the typos...

Randy

--
Randy Sandberg
Test Engineer
Server Reliability Lab (DeathStarNet)
Apple Computer, Inc.
work: (408) 974.5749

G4 - Kernel 2.2.15pre7 - USB problems :-(

Post by MacPia » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

One post I read said not to make pmac-config because it hangs the vmlinux. I'm
having trouble rsyncing the sources at linuxcare.com.au   I have spent probably
30 hours trying to get the right kernel sources and I'm about ready to give up
on linux. What I really need is a Sawtooth kernel that has RAID support in it.

gary hostetler

1. Feedback on 2.2.15 (wasRe: Kernel Stable: 2.2.15pre4 )

I've been trying the 2.2.15 prereleases, and so far they seem great.
2.2.15 pre 4 (subjectively speaking) made my system much zippier
than 2.2.13/4 and 2.2.15 pre 5 which I built last night, feels
faster still (and apparently has some rather neat debug code to
trap bad application memory use/kernel bugs).

So overall I'm very pleased. Many thanks to Alan and the guys who've
been working on the VM stuff. It feels great for me.

BTW I'm running this on Mandrake 6.1, Cyrix 6x86 MX 300, 64MB RAM.

Like I say, 2.2.15 feels like it's shaping up to be the best 2.2 kernel
yet by a significant margin (to me at least!)
Mike

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. reg CD eject

3. Where did kernel 2.2.15pre7 put cd-r/w device?

4. kde applications?

5. 2.2.15pre3 kernel troubles on a G4/400 Yikes!

6. Who's doing the sound driver?

7. 2.2.14, 2.2.15 USB kernel patches?

8. How to hide /libs /etc and /bin in a ftp chroot user ?

9. kernel 2.2.15-2.9 and epson 740 on USB

10. USB problems compiling 2.2.15pre19

11. Kernel 2.2.15 Problem

12. ISA NE2000 Clone + 2.2.15 SMP Kernel Problems

13. 2.2.15 kernel compile problem?