audio issues

Post by -/:98:01 » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have audio working, CD play through, etc.  But it is only playing on the
built in speaker, not the speakers I have attached to the "sound out".  Is
it possible to overide the internal speaker in linux (i have kernel
2.1.24 and a UMAX J700)?

Matt "that sounds like a tin can" Hickey

1. Audio Issues/Questions

        I am planning to RIP my CD collection onto a few very large drives
and would ultimately like to connect a Solaris box upto my stereo for
playback.

        The problem with connecting up a Solaris box to what I consider a not
quite a hi-end home stereo system are the following:

        1) I won't have a graphical monitor to connect to it.
        2) Sound card support

        To work around problem 1, I will have a dumb ascii terminal to use to
log in/out and traverse the file systems. But, I know that everytime I boot up
my SPARC box I need to bring up sdtaudiocontrol application to do the
following:

        - Disable the internal speaker.
        - Enable the external speakers on the "line out" jack.
        - Set the volume to 100%

        How big of a problem is this? Not too bad as I can always jump onto
another Solaris box and remotely login to handle this task. But I'm thinking
of the wife here as that is rpobably going to be distatefull to her being a
Windows person and all.

        So my question is, is there anyway to setup the audio driver on
Solaris such that when the machine is booted up, is there anyway to have
these specific values be the default such we won't ever even have to
remotely login the box to set these values?

        Now for problem # 2.

        A little different. We could use the headphone jack splitter to run
into the let and righ channels on the pre-amp. I've tried this and it works,
but the sound quality is not the same as popping in a CD into the CD changer.
Using the headphone jack, the music sounds flat and it's not something I find
pleasurable. But it's not so bad. I mean, If I wasn't A/B'ing the 2 side by
side, I may not have know that the audio was flat when using the headphone
jack on the Ultra 60.

        So, is there any support at all for higher end audio cards on a
Solaris SPARC box. Not a X86 system. And by a higher-end audio card, I
mean an audio card that has left/right jacks on the back of it designed to
be connected to a stereo system as opposed to an audio card that has
headphone jacks. I believe that these jacks are called RCA jacks?

        Any info appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

--
---
Jim

2. yet another mail question...

3. bttv audio issue

4. kill recreate_proc_ide_device()

5. Audio mixer for /dev/audio or USB audio?

6. Intel Etherexpress pinging?

7. Real Audio G2 Issue

8. ESS ES1988 Allegro sound card on 4.7-RELEASE

9. Strange issue with XFree audio freezing

10. audio cd issue here !

11. streaming audio and latency issues

12. RH 7 XFree86 4 and Audio CD issues

13. AXi & PCI Audio Warning (Creative Ensoniq Audio PCI)