Installing stuff from CD

Post by Bo » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

OK, this is probably a basic question, but how do install packages off of
the CD? Can I do it from the GUI interface, or do I need to use the
terminal? Are there any FAQs that cover stuff like this?

Bob

Installing stuff from CD

Post by Andrew B. Arth » Mon, 12 Jul 1999 04:00:00

In article

> OK, this is probably a basic question, but how do install packages off of
> the CD? Can I do it from the GUI interface, or do I need to use the
> terminal? Are there any FAQs that cover stuff like this?

First you must mount the CD-ROM disc on your drive. To do this, put the
disc in the drive, close the door, and type this in a terminal window:

su
[root password]
mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

*** Installing Using Command Line

Then you cd into the LinuxPPC CD (it's mounted in /mnt/cdrom) and install
packages using:

rpm -ivh blah-2.02.ppc.rpm

*** Installing using a Graphical Installer

Fire up gnorpm from that terminal you opened to type mount /dev/cdrom
/mnt/cdrom. The command to start it is 'gnorpm'. Click install button.
Click Add Packages. Go to /mnt/cdrom/ to find the software.

Thats it.

Thanks,

Andrew B. Arthur aka AArthur

1. Installing stuff from 2nd CD (Solaris 8)

Hi all,

I installed a server here today, and came across an interesting
problem.  I was installing from CD, as I was re-installing my
install server.  I tend to install as little as possible, but
like to have some stuff from the second CD.  Here's the problem:
because I didn't install the Java stuff (I don't want to install
X on a headless server), the software that prompts you to finish
the installation by insterting the second CD didn't run, and hence
not all the software I need got installed (although the system
is currently usable).

How do I get the installation process to complete (without the
Java stuff)?  One obvious solution would be to set up another
install server, and use THAT to install my server, but that's
not an option right now.  :-(

Of course, I can't remember the name of all the packages, so
installing them manually probably isn't a good way too...

Any ideas?

Many TIA,

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

2. fdisk Blues

3. Good stuff Bad Stuff

4. NIC card prob

5. stuff-up in pcmcia/cardbus stuff

6. Boot-up

7. fixing MBR to see linux again (post Win2K install...)

8. 2.1.5 CD-ROM missing stuff

9. What extra stuff comes on the 'official' 4 CD set

10. Questions with the Linux setup: CD-ROM, 2 hard drives (basic stuff)

11. cd dump and mp3 stuff