LinuxPPC and G3 upgrade card

Post by Ric » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Anyone know if LinuxPPC 4.1 and or 5 will boot on a 603e Mac that has a
G3 upgrade... one that replaces the 603e CPU, or one that uses the L2
cache slot?

LinuxPPC and G3 upgrade card

Post by Christopher Fru » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Please someone answer this question. I am poised waiting and wondering if
I can purchase a new card.

> Anyone know if LinuxPPC 4.1 and or 5 will boot on a 603e Mac that has a
> G3 upgrade... one that replaces the 603e CPU, or one that uses the L2
> cache slot?

LinuxPPC and G3 upgrade card

Post by hveo » Tue, 23 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I have a PowerMac 8500 with a G3 Upgrade card from NewerTech and it works
like a charm!

Xander

Christopher Frum schreef:

> Please someone answer this question. I am poised waiting and wondering if
> I can purchase a new card.

> > Anyone know if LinuxPPC 4.1 and or 5 will boot on a 603e Mac that has a
> > G3 upgrade... one that replaces the 603e CPU, or one that uses the L2
> > cache slot?

LinuxPPC and G3 upgrade card

I have a C600.  An answer would be of extreme value!! ;)

Post by Matthew Pritzke » Thu, 25 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I have a C600.  An answer would be of extreme value!! ;)

> > Anyone know if LinuxPPC 4.1 and or 5 will boot on a 603e Mac that has a
> > G3 upgrade... one that replaces the 603e CPU, or one that uses the L2
> > cache slot?

As I understand it, UMAX CPU upgrades are performed by _replacing_ the
CPU, so there shouldn't be a problem.  The G3 issues have to do with L2
cache boards NuBus system PDS cards, where the original CPU initially
has control of the system.

--
--------------------
Matthew Pritzker                Graduate Research Assistant

Post by Paul-Henri Lamp » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> > > Anyone know if LinuxPPC 4.1 and or 5 will boot on a 603e Mac that has a
> > > G3 upgrade... one that replaces the 603e CPU, or one that uses the L2
> > > cache slot?

> As I understand it, UMAX CPU upgrades are performed by _replacing_ the
> CPU, so there shouldn't be a problem.  The G3 issues have to do with L2
> cache boards NuBus system PDS cards, where the original CPU initially
> has control of the system.

  Does it mean MkLinux could work with such an upgrade on a 7100 (a
Sonnet Crescendo G3 card) that goes on the PDS slot ? I guess LinuxPPC
wouldn't work since it's for PCI Macs...

  See you later in Netland,
Paul-Henri

--

    ... ooo OOO Black holes are where God divided by zero. OOO ooo ...
  ---<<<   Minas Ithil, Tower of the Moon, Role-Playing Library   >>>---

2:320/405
               Website http://www.multimania.com/phlampe

1. suggestions for G3 upgrade card for LinuxPPC?

Hi,

I have a Power Mac 7300/200 on which I use both the MacOS and
LinuxPPC, and I am considering buying a G3 upgrade card for it (say,
300 MHz).  Some questions:

0. Is an upgrade worthwhile for this computer?

1. Have you had good or bad experiences with any particular cards or
   manufacturers?  I am looking for suggestions...

2. What sort of speed increase can I expect when using Linux?  (I've
   seen benchmarks for MacOS performance.)

3. Do I have to do something to enable the cache under Linux?  I was
   under the impression that this gets done by an extension under
   MacOS, so what happens with Linux?

4. I'm probably forgetting something important, so feel free to answer
   any relevant unasked questions, too.

--
John H. Palmieri

URL:http://www.nd.edu/~jpalmier/       University of Notre Dame
(219) 631-8846                         Notre Dame, IN 46556

2. pgcc... Do I really got it ?

3. LinuxPPC and G3 Upgrade Card Compatibility

4. Need help on term 1.0.8 !

5. LinuxPPC 5 with a G3/L2 upgrade card?

6. IP_CONNTRACK Bug??

7. G3 Processor Upgrade Card Crescendo G3/L2 1M

8. Hey everyone, Adequacy.org interviews Linus!

9. L2 G3 upgrade vs LinuxPPC and MOL

10. LinuxPPC on G3 L2 Cache upgrade?

11. LinuxPPC okay on G3 upgraded 7500?????

12. Can't install LinuxPPC on G3 upgraded 9500

13. trying to get g3 upgrade to work with LinuxPPC 2000