Install woes on a 6100 using Mklinux DR3 on CD

Post by Louis Kowolowsk » Wed, 18 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> >I'm working on a 6100 with 40 MB ram, trying to install DR3 from the CD
> >onto an external 500 MB drive. The drive is partitioned properly, and I
> >begin the installation, but will invariably freeze. There is no rhyme or
> >reason to it. Sometimes the freeze occurs after only 10 - 20 MB are
> >installed, and sometimes will freeze after 200MB are installed. The
> >external drive has been reformatted and partitioned numerous times.

> >Any suggestions? I'm getting frustrated and looking for any help/direction
> >in this matter.

> Install PowerPC Linux first (using the installer.coff boot disk).
> That might be it.

he can't, the 61xx isn't pci, it's nubus, only runs mk...

Post by Thomas P. Yaglows » Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I'm working on a 6100 with 40 MB ram, trying to install DR3 from the CD
onto an external 500 MB drive. The drive is partitioned properly, and I
begin the installation, but will invariably freeze. There is no rhyme or
reason to it. Sometimes the freeze occurs after only 10 - 20 MB are
installed, and sometimes will freeze after 200MB are installed. The
external drive has been reformatted and partitioned numerous times.

Any suggestions? I'm getting frustrated and looking for any help/direction
in this matter.

Thanks in advance.

Tom Yaglowski

Install woes on a 6100 using Mklinux DR3 on CD

Quote:>I'm working on a 6100 with 40 MB ram, trying to install DR3 from the CD

Post by Per Erik Ron » Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm working on a 6100 with 40 MB ram, trying to install DR3 from the CD
> onto an external 500 MB drive. The drive is partitioned properly, and I
> begin the installation, but will invariably freeze. There is no rhyme or
> reason to it. Sometimes the freeze occurs after only 10 - 20 MB are
> installed, and sometimes will freeze after 200MB are installed. The
> external drive has been reformatted and partitioned numerous times.

You might be giving to little room for /root or /usr.

I've installed my MkLinux DR3 on my old 1.2 G harddisks without
problems.
--
Per Erik R?nne

Homepage http://www.diku.dk/students/xerxes

1. installing MkLinux DR3 into a 6100/66

I am having trouble installing MkLinux DR3 into my 350mb external hd.
Every time I try to load off the CD the mac defaults to OS 8.6 ignoring the
MkLinux CD. When I use the control panel option of going to Linux I get a
black screen with plenty of start up data and a error:
      bootstrap task cannot find device  Pleas make sure that your
      boot device and  partions are correctly specified from the
      MkLinux control panel
Is there a bug in the DR3 instalation , am I missing something , can
anybody help!!
                                          Thanks-- Richard

2. MatLab (or similar) for Linux?

3. Making mklinux cd (was mac 6100/66 and mklinux)

4. Using FD TMC-830 SCSI controller w/linux..

5. MkLinux DR3 installation on PPC Mac 6100/60 ?

6. newbie

7. MkLinux DR3 & G3 upgrade cards for 6100/7100/8100

8. installing glibc-2.1.3-22.i386.rpm on Suse 6.3

9. Trouble installing DR3 on 6100

10. system pauses using mklinux DR2 on pmac 6100

11. mklinux install on a 6100/60

12. mklinux install problems on a 6100

13. installing MkLinux on powermac 6100