R5 Installation Woes

Post by Cody » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hello, I keep having trouble installing R5. I downloaded all the files
and when I run the installer it always hangs. No matter which kernel I
download it always seems to hang at various positions in the install. I
haven't been able to get anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

Cody Vandermyn

R5 Installation Woes

Post by stephan » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Hello, I keep having trouble installing R5. I downloaded all the files
> and when I run the installer it always hangs. No matter which kernel I
> download it always seems to hang at various positions in the install. I
> haven't been able to get anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

> Cody Vandermyn

Which installer are you using? redhat.image.gz which you renamed to
ramdisk.image.gz or the perl-based/new installer. I know the default
perl-based installer needed an extra option because it needed an extra
large memory partition, and it made it look like the ramdisk was
corrupt... In any event, be more specific, tell us what machine and what
hardware (HDs, gfx Cards and so on).

Stephane

R5 Installation Woes

Post by Eiichi Sagaw » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Well, this might be a good thread discussing my problem.

I have a 9600/350 PPC machine besides my desk.  I have been trying to
install linuxppc many times without real success.  Seems to me my
problem is due to hardware problem.  During and after installation (I've
tried many packages of linuxppc including Mklinux, R4, pre-R5,
yellowdog, and R5), this machine freezes without any message or with
"kernel panic" type of message. Sometime I was able to get unstable
linux system.  Mileage varied depending on packages. MkLinux seems the
most stable one, but it was slow.

Anyway I'd appreciate any suggestions to my problem.
By the way, I have done many linux installation to intel machines which
are much better than PPC, so far.

E Sagawa

--

                     Eiichi SAGAWA
                        Communications Research Laboratory

                                             |   fax: +81-42-327-6676

R5 Installation Woes

Post by Cody » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Well, I am using the ramdisk.image.gz that is installed via the MacOS
LinuxPPC_1999 installer. Upon using BootX I did notice the extra statement
ramdisk_size=8192 or something to that effect and I left it be.

Ok, I have a Umax C600L 240 that has been upgraded to a 280 MHz G3. I have 3
hard drives: one internal ATA (hda5 partition) drive that holds the MacOS as
well as the RedHat folder and those files, another 4.5 SCSI disk for my
apps, and then a clean 4.5 SCSI that I was going to use for Linux. My
graphics card is an ATI XCLAIM VR. Does any of this help? Thanks!

Cody Vandermyn

R5 Installation Woes

Post by Justin M. Trembla » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Well, I tried 3 times to get it to setup using the X-windows installer (which
takes about 5 minutes of thrashing my old 4x CD-ROM drive to load.) Every time
it would look like it was installing, but in fact nothing happened. Somehow,
not sure what I did, but a log file displayed, and it appears that it didn't
actually mount the hard drive partition!!

So I installed with Redhat instead (just enter "redhat", no quotes, after the
ramdisk statement in BootX.)

I had a little trouble with it not getting my swap partition at first, but I
figured it out.

But, now I have have a couple more problems:

1. It automatically starts X, but its in virtual windowing mode. I want it to
display 1024x768x32. How do I get it to do that? I can't seem to find the right
configuration file. I'd just quit X and then start it again with "startx
1024x768" (I think thats the syntax) but I can't quit it! I try to kill it from
another screen, but it just loads up again.

2. DHCP doesn't work! The version of dhcpd that shipped with R4 didn't either,
but I did find a working version. Anyone know where I can get that again? (why
didn't they fix this?)

3. Despite having my printer listed (Epson SC600), it still doesn't work right.
All I got was a page full of apostrophes.

> Well, I am using the ramdisk.image.gz that is installed via the MacOS
> LinuxPPC_1999 installer. Upon using BootX I did notice the extra statement
> ramdisk_size=8192 or something to that effect and I left it be.

> Ok, I have a Umax C600L 240 that has been upgraded to a 280 MHz G3. I have 3
> hard drives: one internal ATA (hda5 partition) drive that holds the MacOS as
> well as the RedHat folder and those files, another 4.5 SCSI disk for my
> apps, and then a clean 4.5 SCSI that I was going to use for Linux. My
> graphics card is an ATI XCLAIM VR. Does any of this help? Thanks!

> Cody Vandermyn

1. error G3 R5 installation "Find installation files"

Hello,

I seem to be having some trouble installing R5 on a G3/400MHz w/dual
internal 9GB drives.
I am using the Rev.1 vmlinux from http://www.inficad.com/~rshaw,  as
well as the rest
of the Blue&White G3 files from there.

When I choose the kernel, it goes past welcome screen, then past
penguin  scrolling screen
as is expected. However, it starts RedHat installer, not BootX as it
should. When I try to use the
System partition for the location of the software folder and RedHat
subfolder, I just get a blinking
white block prompt (indefinitely) at the bottom of the blue installer
screen.

In order to get anywhere in the RedHat installer, I have to locate the
software and RedHat folders
on aseparate partition from the one that holds the System Folder. If I
locate the folders on
a separate partition, I get past this window in the installer all the
way until the installer starts
looking for the packages to install.

After the installer searches for the installation files,  a"Comps file
is not version 0.1" error
pops up. After this, I cannot proceed into the installation. I looked at
the Comps file in
software:RedHat:base:Comps, and its first line is "0.1", which I assume
is a version number.

Has anyone out there seen this before? Am I doing something terribly
wrong?I have installed
MkLinux before, but this is my first time installing LinuxPPC. Any help
would be most
appreciated.

Thanks,
david

2. Memory leak in kernel/net-2?

3. CD-RW mounting woes in Mandrake 7.0 woe oh woe oh woe!

4. Can't mount SCSI-emulated CD drives

5. More R5 install woes

6. question on sed: how to replace multiple blank lines by single ones?

7. Further R5 compilation woes

8. Linux & 3 drives - can it work?

9. R5 X palette woes: more colors?

10. R5 iMac & X Woes

11. iMac Woes On R5

12. r5 [Fwd: Re: pre-R5 installer?]

13. Pre R5 files from cdrom.com with final R5 and CD-format