G4 multiboot question

Post by Julian C. Westerhou » Mon, 02 Jul 2001 04:45:29

Greetings,

I've recently installed LinuxPPC 2000 on a second IDE drive in my G4 350
AGP. I've got it up and running, and can boot into it using yaboot without
difficulty. My question involves setting up a relatively simple multiboot
procedure that doesn't require going to openfirmware when the Mac OS is
wanted on boot (too complicated for other users of this computer). I
followed the setup recommended by Kevin Hendricks on the archived post found
at
http://lists.linuxppc.org/listarcs/linuxppc-user/200003/msg01193.html
Creating a bootfile, and typing in the instructions in OF. The problem is
that it responds that it is unable to open the bootfile. Any tips?

I've also tried the trick of holding down option upon restart, but the Mac
only recognizes the real MacOS(s) in the choice list, not the fake one on my
/boot partition on the slave IDE drive. I suppose I could set it up to boot
LinuxPPC by default, and switch to MacOS that way, but as the machine will
be used primarily as a MacOS box, and only by me as a Linux box, I'd rather
figure out a way to have the MacOS as the default boot, and I'd like to
avoid having to boot into MacOs, then change startup drive in control
panels, then reboot to Linux.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Julian Westerhout

G4 multiboot question

Post by Mark » Mon, 02 Jul 2001 19:29:56

> Greetings,

> I've recently installed LinuxPPC 2000 on a second IDE drive in my G4 350
> AGP. I've got it up and running, and can boot into it using yaboot
> without
> difficulty. My question involves setting up a relatively simple multiboot
> procedure that doesn't require going to openfirmware when the Mac OS is
> wanted on boot (too complicated for other users of this computer). I
> followed the setup recommended by Kevin Hendricks on the archived post
> found
> at
> http://lists.linuxppc.org/listarcs/linuxppc-user/200003/msg01193.html
> Creating a bootfile, and typing in the instructions in OF. The problem is
> that it responds that it is unable to open the bootfile. Any tips?

> I've also tried the trick of holding down option upon restart, but the
> Mac
> only recognizes the real MacOS(s) in the choice list, not the fake one on
> my
> /boot partition on the slave IDE drive. I suppose I could set it up to
> boot
> LinuxPPC by default, and switch to MacOS that way, but as the machine
> will
> be used primarily as a MacOS box, and only by me as a Linux box, I'd
> rather
> figure out a way to have the MacOS as the default boot, and I'd like to
> avoid having to boot into MacOs, then change startup drive in control
> panels, then reboot to Linux.

> Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,

> Julian Westerhout

Make the Mac OS as the default system and use CMD-OPT-SHFT-DEL to make
it boot off the other drive.
Make sure there isn't a CD-ROM inserted or it might boot off that

1. Multiboot System Help. Anyone who multiboots please read!

I just sat here for over 2 hours trying to find out how to boot Win98,
WinNT, Linux and Solaris 7.  I have read over 100 posts and I only get
one confusing mess.  I want to use System Commander to boot these 4.
Here is what I got from the posts:

1.  Linux and Solaris should not be on the same hard drive. (I did see
a few posts that did have them on the same drive.)

2.  Linux and Solaris use the same swap id number, so you have to work
around that.

3.  Solaris "Does not play well with others."

4.  Most likely put MS products on before the other OS's.

5.  Solaris' / must be on the boot drive.  (About 50/50 on this one
when looking at other posts.)

What does everyone think?  Here is what I have and what I think I am
going to do:

18.0G Western Digital Expert (WD)
6.5G Seagate Medalist (S)

1. Set a partition on the WD for 10G. Put on Win98 and install System
Commander on this partition and let the other 8G unformatted.

2. Make a NTFS partition on S of 3G and let the other 3.5G free.

(Here is where I get confused!)
3.  I want to put linux on remaining 8G of the WD.  Can I do that or do
I have to put Solaris because / must be on the primary drive.

What do you think of this plan?  Has anyone used a different setup and
would they be kind enough to share it here?  Do I need Sys. Comm.?  I
heard it would be easier.  Feel free to post an thoughts or ideas!

Thanks for reading!
--
Ed Smiley

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Why is perl popular?

3. newbie/flamebait - multiboot & setup questions

4. ftp site...

5. Dell Inspiron multiboot question

6. unstable filesystem with k7m and quantum ide disk

7. Beginner's question about multiboot?!!

8. SunSoft f77 -autopar linked with C++ code

9. MultiBoot LILO question

10. Multiboot partition question

11. Newbie question: multiboot with Linux and W95

12. Multiboot question (rather special case)

13. Multiboot question