LinuxPPC 2000 won't boot

Post by John Kuzemk » Fri, 08 Jun 2001 00:50:10

Hi,

I'm a Linux newbie. Now that I've been able to install LinuxPPC 2000 on an
extra 2Gig SCSI drive, I've been unable to get it to boot on my Powercenter
Mac clone. I created a 50MB /boot partition in Mac HFS format with the root
and swap partitions in LinuxPPC format. I've also "blessed" the system
folder in the /boot partition with MacOS.

When I try to boot, I get the following at the bottom of all of the text:

hfs_fs: unable to read block 0x000004c2 from dev 8:01
hfs_fs: unable to read superblock
kernel panic: VFS unable to mount root fs on 8:01

And then it will reboot after 180 seconds.

It sounds to me like it's unable to read the boot partition but having no
experience with it, I don't really know.

Do any of you more experienced types have some advice on this?

Thanks,

John Kuzemka

LinuxPPC 2000 won't boot

Post by Alan R Barke » Fri, 08 Jun 2001 04:13:29

> I'm a Linux newbie. Now that I've been able to install LinuxPPC 2000 on an
> extra 2Gig SCSI drive, I've been unable to get it to boot on my Powercenter
> Mac clone. I created a 50MB /boot partition in Mac HFS format with the root
> and swap partitions in LinuxPPC format. I've also "blessed" the system
> folder in the /boot partition with MacOS.

I'm pretty certain that the boot partition has to be type
Apple_Bootstrap not Apple_HFS.  You should be able to change it by
restarting from the install disk, then bring up an Xterm and use pdisk
to first delete the boot partition and then re-create it as an
Apple_Bootstrap type.

--
Alan R Barker

LinuxPPC 2000 won't boot

Post by Eric Deveau » Fri, 08 Jun 2001 16:35:35

> > I'm a Linux newbie. Now that I've been able to install LinuxPPC 2000 on an
> > extra 2Gig SCSI drive, I've been unable to get it to boot on my Powercenter
> > Mac clone. I created a 50MB /boot partition in Mac HFS format with the root
> > and swap partitions in LinuxPPC format. I've also "blessed" the system
> > folder in the /boot partition with MacOS.

> I'm pretty certain that the boot partition has to be type
> Apple_Bootstrap not Apple_HFS.

rigth it MUST be Apple_Bootstrap, and 50 M is a tremendous waste of
space.

Quote:>  You should be able to change it by
> restarting from the install disk, then bring up an Xterm and use pdisk
> to first delete the boot partition and then re-create it as an
> Apple_Bootstrap type.

and you can this way, cut the 50 M to something usefull.
800K Apple_bootstrap
49,2M hfs. used as an exchange partition, or 49,2M ext2 as you want.

        Eric

--

Quote:> Quelqu'un aurait-il une solution pour rinitialiser un MBR

Si tu veux qu'il soit compltement blanc (pas souhaitable, mon avis) :
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512k count=1 (sous Linux)
-+- OT in Guide du linuxien (trs) pervers - "Pour les K difficiles" -+-

LinuxPPC 2000 won't boot

Post by John Kuzemk » Fri, 08 Jun 2001 22:39:02

Thanks,

I'll give that a try.

jk