software installation

Post by Dennis Cotca » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I need help from you folks again. I'm one of many newbies out here.

I've just spent 3 hours trying to install Applixware for LinuxPPC. OF
course it comes with no instructions. It came on a cdrom with 5 items (as
I see them when I open the cdrom under MacOS):they are RPMS, SRPMS, BIN,
LS-LRT.TXT, and INSTALL-APPLIX.

I can mount the cdrom. (It says mounting as read only). However, I can't
find any of the things on the disk using the find file utolity.

 When I try rpm, I get a 'cannot open file" message, no matter what I put
in after the rpm -i command.

I've tried using glint as well, and every path I try under the 'configure'
section leads to an error message that the file contains no RPMs.

I'm certain this is something stupid, but I've not been able to figure it
out after reading all I can find in Running Linux, reading the
FAQ-o-matic,and How to use Linux.

Explicit instructions would be most appreciated.

Dennis Cotcamp

software installation

Post by James gadba » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Dennis -

I have had exactly the same problem. If you find out the solution,  let me
know. I changed my fstab to include an exec statement for the cdrom, but it
made no difference. I was wondering if they sent me the upgrade disk instead,
because I think the install-applix is for upgrading an earlier version and I
found no setup file. I'd really like to get it up and running - also a newbie
but making same steps forward.      Jim