XFree86, ATI Rage II, Debian, and Thou

Post by David P. Kleinschmid » Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hello all.

After doing a few RedHatish Linux installations on my various and sundry Macs,
I decided to give Debian a whack.  It seemed pretty cool until I tried firing
up startx and things just started not happening.

Here's what I got:
PowerComputing PowerCenter Pro 240
Built-in 3D Rage II + DVD (215GT) graphics accelerator
2MB VRAM [I believe]
17" multisync PowerComputing monitor, 1152x870x16
Stock Potato installation
BootX, with 'video=atyfb'

...and here's what I've tried so far, and what happened subsequently.  [Forgive
the slightly less-than-accurate error messages; I'm composing this without
having them in front of me.]

XFree86 as distributed with Potato

- configured for 'ati' or 'accel' graphics driver : 'You must have a screen
configured with the 'fbdev' device'

- configured for 'fbdev' driver : 'No video modes available.'

- configured for 'fbdev' with some tweaking to get a valid video mode : screen
goes white, console text displayed on the bottom in purple, cursor visible only
when it's being moved, cursor leaves tracks when it's visible, screen
resolution is 640x480, virtual desktop size is 640xquite a bit taller.

XFree86 4.0.1, from xfree86.org

- configured for 'ati' driver : 'ati driver not found.'

- configured for 'fbdev' driver : screen goes black; computer becomes
completely unresponsive [requires hard reset].

- with ATI driver from ftp://devel.linuxppc.org/users/ajoshi/xf4/
  - configured with 'ati' driver : 'No Mach64 found!'

Xpmac 10, from ftp.linuxppc.org

  - 640x480, 256 colors, mouse completely unresponsive

If anyone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks in advance.

- David P. Kleinschmidt
  The man with everything but
  X on Debian

XFree86, ATI Rage II, Debian, and Thou

Post by David P. Kleinschmid » Sun, 13 Aug 2000 04:00:00

"When you're right, you're right.  And you - you're always right."
  - Barf, 'Spaceballs'

Here's what I did:

I got me a kernel - specifically, 2.4.0-test6.  [This solved a couple of other
problems I had, including an ungodly screech coming from my monitor
periodically.]

I got me XFree86 4.0.1, mooched the development tree, compiled, installed,
configured carefully, and tried to run.  No dice.  It appears that XFree86
hasn't been tweaked to use my video card yet [ATI Rage II + DVD].  I tried
running with the 'fbdev' device - bad mojo.  The screen went blank, and the
computer did not appear to be responsive.

So I got me Xpmac rev. 10 and installed it.  Poof!  It worked!  And it's
accelerated!  Except everything's got white flecks in it now.

So now I have two more questions.
1) Is there a later version of Xpmac?  Does Xpmac have a home on the 'net?
2) More importantly, how do I get rid of my icons' dandruff?  My monitor is set
to 1152x870x16.

- Mr. Dave Kleinschmidt,
  who's kinda got X working
  but is seeing spots.

Post by John Fishe » Sun, 13 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> I got me a kernel - specifically, 2.4.0-test6.  [This solved a couple of other
> problems I had, including an ungodly screech coming from my monitor
> periodically.]

You are a braver man than I!

Quote:> I got me XFree86 4.0.1, mooched the development tree, compiled, installed,
> configured carefully, and tried to run.  No dice.  It appears that XFree86
> hasn't been tweaked to use my video card yet [ATI Rage II + DVD].  I tried
> running with the 'fbdev' device - bad mojo.  The screen went blank, and the
> computer did not appear to be responsive.

Did you try the "ati" driver?  Does it give you errors of some sort?

Quote:> So I got me Xpmac rev. 10 and installed it.  Poof!  It worked!  And it's
> accelerated!  Except everything's got white flecks in it now.

> So now I have two more questions.
> 1) Is there a later version of Xpmac?  Does Xpmac have a home on the 'net?

No, and I don't think so.  Xpmac is an old design.

Quote:> 2) More importantly, how do I get rid of my icons' dandruff?  My monitor is set
> to 1152x870x16.

I had this problem with the built-in RAGE Pro in my G3.  Never had a
problem with my newer RAGE Orion.  But XFree86 4.0.1 is a much nicer
server.  If you can get it working, it'll serve you well.

John

XFree86, ATI Rage II, Debian, and Thou

Post by John Fishe » Sun, 13 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> ...it wasn't anything a pair of 100-watt headphones and a little Hendrix
> couldn't fix...  (-:

This works for almost anything.

Quote:> Shrug.  I'd love to use it, if it worked.  What did you do with the spots when
> they happened to you?

It only happened with some newer version of Xpmac.  Maybe rev9.  I'd
already bought a RAGE Orion, though -- just hadn't installed it yet.  I
upgraded Xpmac, got the spots, then got around to putting the new card
in.  Total time of problem: 2 days.  I guess that counts as a $140 fix.

Quote:> (II) ATI: ATI driver (version 5.3.5) for chipsets: ati, ativga
> (WW) ati: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:13:0) found
> No Mach64 found, please email /proc/pci or lspci -vvv to

> Fatal server error:
> no screens found

I don't know what the "No Mach64 found" signifies.  I'd have guessed
that you're lacking a video kernel argument, except you've already said
you're passing one.  The "no screens found" is a problem I had, which
came from a bad XF86Config file; I'd guess your screen entry is invalid
because the device it refers to has a problem with the BusID setting.
I'll email you my config file seperately -- it might be helpful.

John

1. XFree86: ATI Rage II & Rage PRO ?

The beta release of XFree86 has support for the
ATI 3D Rage II chip in the Mach64 server.

Does anyone know if it will be compatible with the
new upcoming ATI 3D Rage PRO chip based boards?

I'm wondering about trading in my current ATI

or a Matrox Millenium-II if there's support.

PS:
When will the card list in the XF86Setup be
updated?  I can't seem to find the "3D Pro Turbo"
card (only the "3D Xpression")..

Thank you for any help :-)

--

2. Help -- menus sometimes aren't usable

3. Sendto: Invalid Arguemnet? [NETWORK]

4. XFree86 3.3 did not help with ATI Rage II

5. rtrtrtr

6. ATI 3D Pro Turbo / Rage II + Xfree86 ???

7. New P75 system to run LINUX

8. XFree86 under SCO 5.0.2 and ATI Rage II+DVD

9. ATI 3D Rage II+DVD and XFree86 don't jibe

10. Ati Rage II+DVD using tv-out with XFree86??

11. HELP: XFree86 3.3.1 & ATI 3D Pro Turbo (3D Rage II+DVD)

12. Help: ATI 3D Rage II and XFree86 4.0.1