Promax Ultra ATA/PCI Card

Post by graham135 » Thu, 08 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hello All.
I recently purchased a PCI ATA card from www.promax.com to be able to
add additional IDE
drives.With your able to add up to 4 drives (if you have the space)to I
believe most PCI Macs.
Anyway I haven't been able to mount any partitions(in Linux) whether HFS
or a Linux partition
from the drive connected to this card.I noticed that Drive setup sees
disks connected to the card
as SCSI disks(not sure why).And in pdisk(mac) the drive shows up as
/dev/sdb.Has anyone
had success using drives connected to this card in Linux?Some other
things to note is that I can mount
other SCSI disks(Zip Drive sda4) and my root drive hda5. Any suggestions
much appreciated.

Ben

Promax Ultra ATA/PCI Card

Post by Matthew Pritzke » Thu, 08 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Hello All.
> I recently purchased a PCI ATA card from www.promax.com to be able to
> add additional IDE
> drives.With your able to add up to 4 drives (if you have the space)to I
> believe most PCI Macs.
> Anyway I haven't been able to mount any partitions(in Linux) whether HFS
> or a Linux partition
> from the drive connected to this card.I noticed that Drive setup sees
> disks connected to the card
> as SCSI disks(not sure why).And in pdisk(mac) the drive shows up as
> /dev/sdb.Has anyone
> had success using drives connected to this card in Linux?Some other
> things to note is that I can mount
> other SCSI disks(Zip Drive sda4) and my root drive hda5. Any suggestions
> much appreciated.

[I added an extra group to this thread because the guy who wrote the
BIOS frequents it]

I think that the BIOS on the TurboMAX uses a bit of scullduggery to
trick the Mac (including OF) into thinking it's a SCSI card, even though
it's really IDE (as you mentioned, pdisk listed a drive as /dev/sdb,
rather than /dev/hdb).  It might be necessary to forcibly redirect
/dev/hd* to point to this card???

--
Matthew Pritzker                Graduate Research Assistant