Configureing yaboot for a PowerBook G3 Bronze in LinuxPPC-2000

Post by Martin Costabe » Mon, 28 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> I have tried to configure yaboot on my PowerBook G3 Bronze with the new
> LinuxPPC 2000 Lite that I downloaded. I have it installed and working, but
> only with BootX. I followed the instructions in the manual (PDF) but it
> still does not work. I have my root partition on /dev/hda7 (type
> Apple_UNIX_SVR2) and my /boot (type Apple_HFS) partition /dev/hda9 . I have
> MacOS on hda10 and have "blessed" the /boot partition. When booting yaboot
> gives me an error the the device was not found (I am assuming the root
> partition). I have the line image = image = hd7:,vmlinux.2.2.15pre3 for the
> linuxppc label and linuxppc is set to default. Any help would be appreciated

Do you have a line root=/dev/hda7 in your yaboot.conf? It seems to me
that this is not mentioned in the manual, and I don't quite understand
all of their new tricks, but I would think that this is necessary.

Quote:> Also is there any way to get yaboot to boot Mac OS on hda10 by holding down
> a key, or typing in something like bootmac . This would probably have to be
> entered into the yaboot.conf file.

In principle, you can put something like image=$shut-down into your
yaboot.conf file. "shut-down" stands here for any OF command. In my
tests with yaboot (under lppc 1999), this one worked, but I never
succeeded in booting into MacOS in this way.

--
Martin

1. powerbook (bronze) and linuxppc 2000 install problem

i am a newcomer in the linux world.
downloaded the image linux2000_lite.image, burned it, installed bootx and
rebooted.
after choosing the standard kernal 2.2.15pre3 the install process starts,
but hangs after the following messages:
init version 2.74
init entering runlevel 3
init no more processes left in this runlevel

then nothing.
can somebody help me? thanx

philip

2. context switches increased in 2.5.40 kernel

3. LinuxPPC 2000 and G3 Powerbook modem

4. Going online soon, have couple of questions/concerns

5. LinuxPPC 2000 installation on PowerBook G3 "Firewire"

6. Losing files on DOS partition!?

7. Ethernet on a Powerbook G3 / LinuxPPC 2000 Lite

8. Box won't fire up?

9. LinuxPPC 2000 and G3 Powerbook modem

10. LinuxPPC 2000 & PowerBook 2000

11. LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 on a 2000 Firewire Powerbook

12. LinuxPPC 2000 on a PowerBook 2000

13. PowerBook G3 bronze How to install Linux