Newbie Help w/install: installer won't see CD drive

Newbie Help w/install: installer won't see CD drive

Post by z ice » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Any help would be appreciated:

I'm trying to install MkLinux on a Macintosh 8100 and have followed the
built-in instructions all the way.  After booting w/the MkLinux booter, it
should see my SCSI CD drive by default, but it doesn't.  I get an error
message that the "bootstrap.conf" file can't be found.  I've tried monkeying
around with the "lilo.conf" file specifications for the CD address, but
nothing makes a difference.

Any feedback would be better than what I have....thanks!

Post by Robert N. Brya » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Any help would be appreciated:

> I'm trying to install MkLinux on a Macintosh 8100 and have followed the
> built-in instructions all the way.  After booting w/the MkLinux booter, it
> should see my SCSI CD drive by default, but it doesn't.  I get an error
> message that the "bootstrap.conf" file can't be found.  I've tried monkeying
> around with the "lilo.conf" file specifications for the CD address, but
> nothing makes a difference.

> Any feedback would be better than what I have....thanks!

It sounds like you have not pointed to the partition with the mach_servers in
the lilo.conf file. You don't want to point to the CD unless it holds the
mach_servers folder. If the mach_servers folder is on your MacOS partition,
then the pointer in the lilo.conf files should say something like
"rootdev=/dev/sda5". You can find out what the partition number is by running
pdisk. If it's on the CD then it should say something like "rootdev=/dev/hdc".
Good luck.

Bob

--
Bob Bryan
rev1 Blue G3

Newbie Help w/install: installer won't see CD drive

Post by John Wheele » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Any help would be appreciated:

> I'm trying to install MkLinux on a Macintosh 8100 and have followed the
> built-in instructions all the way.  After booting w/the MkLinux booter, it
> should see my SCSI CD drive by default, but it doesn't.  I get an error
> message that the "bootstrap.conf" file can't be found.  I've tried
monkeying
> around with the "lilo.conf" file specifications for the CD address, but
> nothing makes a difference.

> Any feedback would be better than what I have....thanks!

I had the same problem when I first installed MkLinux. It could be down to
one of several things...

(1) most obvious is that the path in lilo.conf (accessed directly of via
MkLinux control panel) is not pointing to the disk partition where you
installed linux. You should be able to check the parition map using the
pdisk utility supplied on the CD.

(2) If you burned the CD image yourself, make sure that it's valid - I did
an install with a slightly corrupted CD, and it seemed o.k., although I
couldn't install from the CD - I mounted it using toast and installed from a
hard disk. When you burn DO NOT mount the disk image and then burn this. You
need to select "Disk  Image" from the "format" menu. The image should be
ISO9660.

(3) If you did any messing around with disk partitions (upgrading drivers,
making new MacOS volumes) then you probably need to reorder the partitions
to the state they were in when you installed linux. Use pdisk to do this.

Hope this helps.

John Wheeler.

1. YDL Installer won't see internal Mac scsi drive to install onto...

I have a new G3 with an adaptec 3950u2b scsi card,
but the Linux installer doesn't see the internal drive.
If I hookup an external drive to the same card, the installer can see that
just fine.
The internal drive has been formatted into 2 partions:
a 4gb MacOS hfs partition
a 4gb unallocated partition.

What am I doing wrong?

--
Steve Margulies
Macintosh Systems Administrator

2. SunOS 5.5.1: chmod(2) turns named socket into pipe ????

3. NEW installer.coff [was: Q: installer 'Components to Install' ]

4. What is a good Linux text editor?

5. CD-Rom not seen for install (HELP NEWBIE)

6. module for linux kernel

7. Installer won't recognize CD-R as the correct disk

8. Modem/sound card will it ever work in linux

9. LPPC 2000 CD Won't mount in Redhat Text Installer

10. Red Hat 7.1 install won't see my CD drive

11. HELP: Installing FreeBSD from DOS partition -- Installer can't find the install files

12. cant install, won't recognize cd rom drive

13. Trouble installing redhat 8.0 - installer won't accept keyboard input