free progs on "Intel Linux"

Post by doogi » Wed, 16 Feb 2000 04:00:00

When I go to www.download.com, there are several free programs that
require "Linux for Intel." Before I download 7 or 8 megs of stuff, does
that mean it completely won't run on my Linux? (G3 beige, LPPC 99 Q3,
2.2.6 kernel)

TIA,
doogiE

--
if pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of progress?
congress!!!

free progs on "Intel Linux"

Post by I R A Darth Agg » Wed, 16 Feb 2000 04:00:00

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 16:22:18 -0600,

+ When I go to www.download.com, there are several free programs that
+ require "Linux for Intel." Before I download 7 or 8 megs of stuff, does
+ that mean it completely won't run on my Linux? (G3 beige, LPPC 99 Q3,
+ 2.2.6 kernel)

Yes, unless they include the source code. While that's possible, you're
more likely to find the source code in a seperate package.

James
The Bill of Rights is paid in Responsibilities - Jean McGuire
To cure your perl CGI problems, please look at:
<url:http://www.perl.com/CPAN/doc/FAQs/cgi/idiots-guide.html>

free progs on "Intel Linux"

Post by doogi » Wed, 16 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 16:22:18 -0600,

> + When I go to www.download.com, there are several free programs that
> + require "Linux for Intel." Before I download 7 or 8 megs of stuff, does
> + that mean it completely won't run on my Linux? (G3 beige, LPPC 99 Q3,
> + 2.2.6 kernel)

> Yes, unless they include the source code. While that's possible, you're
> more likely to find the source code in a seperate package.

> James

Well under GNU, don't they have to supply the source, or does that only
apply to kernels and other OS stuff...

--
if pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of progress?
congress!!!

free progs on "Intel Linux"

Post by I R A Darth Agg » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 20:24:07 -0600,

+ > Yes, unless they include the source code. While that's possible, you're
+ > more likely to find the source code in a seperate package.

+ Well under GNU, don't they have to supply the source, or does that only
+ apply to kernels and other OS stuff...

Only if the software is released under a suitable license, which is
likely true, but not guaranteed.

Most of the time, software released in a package manager format has
two versions: a precompiled binary distribution, and a source code
distribution. If you can find one, you can find the other, if
available.

Post by Robbie Pickeri » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Well under GNU, don't they have to supply the source, or does that only
> apply to kernels and other OS stuff...

There's no law that says Linux software has to be distributed under GNU.
Programs like the recently released Adobe FrameMaker beta for Linux are
being distributed free in binary, but they are not free software. The
source code is proprietary and belongs to Adobe who are under no
obligation to release it. Therefore the only way of getting FrameMaker
for Linux/PPC is to ask Adobe nicely to release it and hope you're not
the only one who asks.