LinuxPPC problem and Firmware Update?

Post by Thorsten Bass » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 05:50:01

Hello,

right after downloading LinuxPPC this morning, i installed it on a PowerMac
G4 at work (cause i wanted to test installation, and there was no important
data on it's harddisk, so i didn't had to back up).

everything worked fine and after a while i got linux running on the machine.
back at home i wanted to install it the same way on my G4, but it didn't
work. everytime i want to start from cd the computer nothing happens.

after an hour i was really enerved and went back to work to try on other
G4s, on every machine it worked perfectly instead of one, and that's the one
that has the firmware update (that one that can cause problems with the
dimms) and my mac at home got the update too.

can anybody confirm that the firmware update is the cause, and is there a
way to remove the update? or any other solution to the problem?

thanks,
thorsten
--
www.papersucks.de

LinuxPPC problem and Firmware Update?

Post by Dominique Fob » Sat, 30 Jun 2001 16:42:32

Hi,
It seems that I experience the same problem: I've installed linuxppc on a G4.
This G4 is running MacOS 9.1 and MacOSX.
Due to the previous MacOSX installation, I've updated the firmware to
4.1.8. Linuxppc instaler runs without problem (I boot on the install CD
using the startup disk control panel because holding the 'C' key down at
startup didn't work).
However, now I'm not able to boot on linux : I've tried several ways
(Bootx, a LinuxPPC Boot partition with yaboot) with always the same result
: a black screen and even no disk activity.
Please, could you forward me any information about the problem (I'll do
the same).
thanks,
Dominique

Quote:> right after downloading LinuxPPC this morning, i installed it on a PowerMac
> G4 at work (cause i wanted to test installation, and there was no important
> data on it's harddisk, so i didn't had to back up).

> everything worked fine and after a while i got linux running on the machine.
> back at home i wanted to install it the same way on my G4, but it didn't
> work. everytime i want to start from cd the computer nothing happens.

> after an hour i was really enerved and went back to work to try on other
> G4s, on every machine it worked perfectly instead of one, and that's the one
> that has the firmware update (that one that can cause problems with the
> dimms) and my mac at home got the update too.

> can anybody confirm that the firmware update is the cause, and is there a
> way to remove the update? or any other solution to the problem?

> thanks,
> thorsten
> --
> www.papersucks.de

LinuxPPC problem and Firmware Update?

Post by Laurent G » Sat, 30 Jun 2001 18:39:48

    Hi,
Encountered same problem with Firmware update.
I don't remember exactly what I did and the order of actions
but I would say :
Restart with Option Command P-R (twice but that was for my nerves ;) )
set boot-device manually at the OF prompt.

    Hop ! This helps ?

  Lauranger

1. Problem updating F50 system firmware

I have recently recieved an 7025/F50 with an older firmware which i would
like to update to the newest level, but unfortunatly i haven't been able to
do this for unknown reasons.

The current system firmware level is L97286
The current service processor firmware level is 19980414

When i try to update the firmware from the SMS utilities using a diskette it
just reads the file from the diskette, and then goes back to SMS-menus
without doing the actual update and reboot to activate it. If i try and
update it from AIX 4.3.3 with update_flash and answer yes to continue the
system simply reboots and starts up AIX again and nothing has happened, so
it does'nt seem like it's just a defect diskette-drive.

I have tried re-downloading the firmware to a new sets of disks, but that
did'nt help out, and i have updated another F50 with these very same disks
without problems, so I am very sure the disks are not the problem. I have
also tried using a couple of other service processors, one with a
1997-something firmware, and another one with the newest version, still no
luck there.

Any ideas on how to resolve this problem ?

Regards

Ronni Post

2. openGL on Solaris 2.6

3. problems with firmware-update.

4. file lock problem in TRU64(DigitalUnix)/alpha

5. Firmware Update Problem?

6. Common Desktop Environment (CDE) for Solaris 2.4

7. LinuxPPC Installation hangs at Open Firmware

8. KDM problems AGAIN!

9. LinuxPPC without Open Firmware

10. Help with Open Firmware settings for LinuxPPC (boot-device)

11. Installation-problems linuxPPC on updated 7600

12. Matrox Mystique ands X.

13. [1-11] update the firmware of the av7110 dvb driver