Lombard temperature

Lombard temperature

Post by Colin Lero » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 02:49:38



Hi,

I'm worried about my Lombard's temperature, it gets really hot and the
fan never moves :-/

/proc/cpuinfo says
temperature     : 90-92 C (uncalibrated)

Do someone here can tell me if their Lombard's fan start when the
Powerbook is hot (so I could guess mine's broken) ? Is the fan software
or hardware controlled ?

Oh, and does anyone know to calibrate this scary temperature ? (I don't
dare imagine it is *really* at 90C :-/)

Many thanks,
--
Colin
"Life's not fair,[...] But the root password helps."
 -Simon Travaglia

 
 
 

Lombard temperature

Post by Andrew Plotki » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 06:40:38



Quote:> Hi,
> I'm worried about my Lombard's temperature, it gets really hot and the
> fan never moves :-/
> /proc/cpuinfo says
> temperature     : 90-92 C (uncalibrated)
> Do someone here can tell me if their Lombard's fan start when the
> Powerbook is hot (so I could guess mine's broken) ?

Mine fan runs (under LinuxPPC 1999). It's quiet, though -- I had to
hold my fingers by the right-side air vents to be sure.

I haven't checked the CPU temperature. My *apartment* is at about 80F,
and if the air conditioner guy doesn't have it fixed *today*...

Quote:> Is the fan software or hardware controlled ?

Don't know.

--Z

"And Aholibamah bare Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah: these were the borogoves..."
*
* Make your vote count. Get your vote counted.

 
 
 

Lombard temperature

Post by Francesco Mandracc » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 06:08:34


Hi, this is my worry too.

I try everything but the fan is still not moving.

In the linux-2.4.18 with BenH patches there's a reference to Apple
laptops *thermostats* in drivers/macintosh/thermostat.c

BUT that's not working for the Lombard since that code looks for
a "therm-info" which is not found on Lombard (I've browsed the Open
Firmware at boot time and no change).

I'm blocked now.


> Hi,

> I'm worried about my Lombard's temperature, it gets really hot and the
> fan never moves :-/

> /proc/cpuinfo says
> temperature     : 90-92 C (uncalibrated)

> Do someone here can tell me if their Lombard's fan start when the
> Powerbook is hot (so I could guess mine's broken) ? Is the fan software
> or hardware controlled ?

> Oh, and does anyone know to calibrate this scary temperature ? (I don't
> dare imagine it is *really* at 90C :-/)

> Many thanks,

 
 
 

Lombard temperature

Post by Colin Lero » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 08:22:42


Hi,

Quote:> Hi, this is my worry too.
> I try everything but the fan is still not moving.

"Happy" to see that I'm not the only one.

Quote:> I'm blocked now.

I wonder if Lombard fans aren't easily broken. I once heard it is
hardware-controlled, but couldn't verify this. I don't feel like sending my
powerbook to Apple's customer service, neither, it'll cost too much/take
too much time...

--
Colin
panic("No RAM??");
    2.2.19 linux/arch/ppc/mm/init.c

 
 
 

Lombard temperature

Post by Bernhard Reit » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 01:51:50




Quote:> I'm worried about my Lombard's temperature, it gets really hot and the
> fan never moves :-/

Running 2.4.4-pre6 I have no probem with the lombard temperature.
If I do a huge compile (like mozilla) and have the lombard on
a fairly isolating group (painted desktop is sufficient) my fan
starts working. The fan is noisy but only runs shortly.
Usually it takes quite a bit load to get my lombard there.

Had the same behaviour with 2.2.20.. and MacOS8.6.
I guess that the fan is hardware controlled.

Quote:> /proc/cpuinfo says
> temperature     : 90-92 C (uncalibrated)

I do not have temperature information in my /proc/cpuinfo.
 
 
 

Lombard temperature

Post by Francesco Mandracc » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 06:33:50





>>I'm worried about my Lombard's temperature, it gets really hot and the
>>fan never moves :-/

> Running 2.4.4-pre6 I have no probem with the lombard temperature.
> If I do a huge compile (like mozilla) and have the lombard on
> a fairly isolating group (painted desktop is sufficient) my fan
> starts working. The fan is noisy but only runs shortly.
> Usually it takes quite a bit load to get my lombard there.

> Had the same behaviour with 2.2.20.. and MacOS8.6.
> I guess that the fan is hardware controlled.

>>/proc/cpuinfo says
>>temperature     : 90-92 C (uncalibrated)

> I do not have temperature information in my /proc/cpuinfo.

hummmm, maybe that's it ... i.e. the right setting were "# CONFIG_TAU is
not set"?

I'll try! Maybe it's not so "hardware controlled" as it seems.
Browsing the BenH code I learned that Pismo and Titanium have a
"software-controlled hardware-controller" thermostat in the I2C bus of
the KeyLargo mac-io chip.

I beg your pardon in advance, but: when you write "the fan starts
working", ... well did you *see* it moving? I mean lifting the keyboard,
did you see the fan on the left side spinning?

Thank you for your patience :).

Ciao
     Francesco

 
 
 

Lombard temperature

Post by Bernhard Reit » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 17:41:18







>> I do not have temperature information in my /proc/cpuinfo.

> hummmm, maybe that's it ... i.e. the right setting were "# CONFIG_TAU is
> not set"?

I don't know.

Quote:> I beg your pardon in advance, but: when you write "the fan starts
> working", ... well did you *see* it moving? I mean lifting the keyboard,
> did you see the fan on the left side spinning?

It is so loud and strong that I do not need to actually see it moving.
I can hear it. :)
 
 
 

Lombard temperature

Post by Colin Lero » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 18:30:28


Hi,

Quote:> hummmm, maybe that's it ... i.e. the right setting were "# CONFIG_TAU is
> not set"?

If you give it a try, it'll be very nice of you to report results here
:-)
But after grepping for CONFIG_TAU is the kernel's source, it seems that
it won't help :-/

There's just a thing in arch/ppc/kernel/pmac_feature.c that I'll try to
comment, line 616 (in stock 2.4.18 kernel) :

static void heathrow_sleep (...)
                [...]
                /* This seems to be necessary as well or the fan
                 * keeps coming up and battery drains fast */
                MACIO_BIC(HEATHROW_FCR, HRW_IOBUS_ENABLE);

But I don't believe it to give results, as my powerbook almost never goes
to sleep, given its name this function is probably not called.

--
Colin
Don't be jealous of my big-endian

 
 
 

Lombard temperature

Post by Colin Lero » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 18:57:44


Answering to myself...

Quote:> static void heathrow_sleep (...)
>            [...]
>            /* This seems to be necessary as well or the fan
>             * keeps coming up and battery drains fast */
>            MACIO_BIC(HEATHROW_FCR, HRW_IOBUS_ENABLE);

> But I don't believe it to give results, as my powerbook almost never
> goes to sleep, given its name this function is probably not called.

Well, it has completely no effect (replaced MACIO_BIC by a printk, I
never get here, even after putting the PB to sleep.

--
Colin
Random BOFH excuse:
        Daemons did it

 
 
 

Lombard temperature

Post by Francesco Mandracc » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 04:30:46




> Answering to myself...

>>static void heathrow_sleep (...)
>>                [...]
>>                /* This seems to be necessary as well or the fan
>>                 * keeps coming up and battery drains fast */
>>                MACIO_BIC(HEATHROW_FCR, HRW_IOBUS_ENABLE);

>>But I don't believe it to give results, as my powerbook almost never
>>goes to sleep, given its name this function is probably not called.

> Well, it has completely no effect (replaced MACIO_BIC by a printk, I
> never get here, even after putting the PB to sleep.

You found the same lines I did some weeks ago, but ...

Well, browsing Open Firmware prompt and Apple docs, Lombard has
"paddington" mac-io (/pci/mac-io) which is compatible with heathrow, but
I'm not so sure that the fan spooling feature is there (nothing found in
Apple docs). The other candidates are /pci/via-pmu and /pci/power-mgt.

Humm ---> for Berhnard also:

does your Lombard have the dvd decoder? (Open firmware /pci/pb-ziva)
...

At last, maybe Italian and French Lombards are different from German
ones, :-/

Ciao

PS
Anyhow I'll keep trying, feel free to contact me by direct email.

 
 
 

Lombard temperature

Post by Colin Lero » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 17:23:34


Hi,

Quote:> does your Lombard have the dvd decoder? (Open firmware /pci/pb-ziva) ...

For me no.

Quote:> At last, maybe Italian and French Lombards are different from German
> ones, :-/

I don't hope so ;-) Apart from the keyboard I don't think...

Quote:> PS
> Anyhow I'll keep trying, feel free to contact me by direct email.

Ok, thanks very much.
--
Colin
 
 
 

1. LinuxPPC 2000 3Q: Lombard memory, Lombard additional files, FAQ

1) Where do I find the FAQ and archive for this newsgroup?

2) I am in ready to start installing LinuxPPC 2000 onto a 1999 PB Lombard
and have read that there are memory/crashing issues with Lombards that
have more than 64 or 128 MB.  

Is this still the case?
If yes, are there some patches and where would I find the patches?

3) I understand that I need to find and download the following files (from
LinuxPPC site) to get the USB & ethernet going:

ftp://ftp.linuxppc.org/kernels/pbg3-lombard/System.map.gz
ftp://ftp.linuxppc.org/kernels/pbg3-lombard/modules-2.2.12.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.linuxppc.org/kernels/pbg3-lombard/vmlinux.gz

I can't get these files to downloaded, is there a mirror?
Are they still needed with LinuxPPC 2000?

Thanks in advance
Philip

2. mounting sbpcd & bus mouse on X

3. Using PCMCIA with the Lombard and Pismo

4. serial port: how to manually control RTS??

5. Anyone able to install xf4.0.1 on lombard?

6. forwarding mail

7. lombard pbg3 trackpad/mouse pointer errant after snooze (pmud sleep)

8. Dual Boot Problem, 82x0 'bios may not recognize dev' in LILO.

9. Powerbook Lombard and yaboot on SuSE 7.3: how to get my X working?

10. Lombard Problems

11. Lombard Hardware Info Request

12. new hard drive in a PB Lombard?

13. OF Booting Lombard?