Running kde under LinuxPPC?

Post by Michael Coy » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hello All,

Have any of you installed the K window manager on a PCI Mac?

Thanks,
Michael

--
Michael Coyle-Audio Engineer-The Chicago Recording Company
WORK: http://www.chgo-rec.com

Running kde under LinuxPPC?

Post by Heinz Nabiele » Fri, 06 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Hello All,

> Have any of you installed the K window manager on a PCI Mac?

> Thanks,
> Michael

Yes, it runs fine under linux-pmac on my Performa 6400/200.
Heinz
Heinz Nabielek
Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
D-52425 Juelich, Germany
Tel:    +49-2461-61-3271
Fax:    +49-2461-61-8162

Running kde under LinuxPPC?

Post by Frank Ril » Sat, 07 Feb 1998 04:00:00

=> Hello All,
=>
=> Have any of you installed the K window manager on a PCI Mac?
=>
=> Thanks,
=> Michael

I tried both beta 1 and beta 2 on my 7600 with 96mb ram and neither one
worked very well.  Surprisingly beta 2 was absolutely horrid, I couldn't
do anything.

_______________________
Frank Riley

"In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before.
But in poetry, it's the exact opposite."

          - Paul Dirac

Running kde under LinuxPPC?

Post by Jerry Quin » Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> => Hello All,
> =>
> => Have any of you installed the K window manager on a PCI Mac?
> =>
> => Thanks,
> => Michael

> I tried both beta 1 and beta 2 on my 7600 with 96mb ram and neither one
> worked very well.  Surprisingly beta 2 was absolutely horrid, I couldn't
> do anything.

KDE beta 3 rpms have just been created and posted to the linuxppc.org site.
Try them out.  They're supposed to be a big improvement.

--
Jerry Quinn              Tel: (514) 761-8737

Speech Technology Infrastructure

Running kde under LinuxPPC?

Post by Laurent MOUSSAU » Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> KDE beta 3 rpms have just been created and posted to the linuxppc.org site.
> Try them out.  They're supposed to be a big improvement.

Did you succeed in compiling them?

I tried, but I end up with a segmentation fault at launch.

I took the qt-1.32, kdesupport, kdelibs and kdebase SRPMs, and removed
all of the '-O2' flags, to avoid the internal compiler error in gcc. But
after a succesful build, the applications in /opt/kde/bin do nothing
else than core dumping...

I think the problem is in the kdelibs package (I tried to replace it
with the Beta2 one, and some of apps worked). I rebuilt it with the
'-O2' flag when it was possible (there is only six/seven files that make
gcc hang, in kdecore, kdeui and khtmlw). Same result.

Also, I've tried the Beta2 binary packages, it works fine, except that
the HTML widgets has a very lazy behaviour : it only display its title,
instead of its content! (with kfm and kdehelp). Does the problem come
from me, or from the packages?

Does anyone have suggestions?

--
Laurent MOUSSAULT

Don't dream it, Be it. -- Frank'n'Furter

Running kde under LinuxPPC?

Post by Frank Ril » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I had the exact same problems as you.  I compiled everything from scratch
and all it would do is core dump.  I removed everything and got the binary
rpms from linuxppc.org and they worked fine.

=>
[...]
=> --

Post by Jerry Quin » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> > KDE beta 3 rpms have just been created and posted to the linuxppc.org site.
> > Try them out.  They're supposed to be a big improvement.

> Did you succeed in compiling them?

Gary Thomas did.  If you want to play with the sources, download the srpm's
from ftp.linuxppc.org/linuxppc/redhat/SRPMS

--
Jerry Quinn              Tel: (514) 761-8737

Speech Technology Infrastructure

1. Exodus and LinuxPPC running KDE

Hi People,

I am having a problem using ExodusPPC on my Mac to a LinuxPPC system
running KDE.

I can connect fine, but none of the window "handles" display.  That is I
can move, close, resize and so on any of the windows because it never
draws the window borders/handles.

I don't know if it is an Exodus problem or a Linux/KDE problem.

Anyone seen this, or have a workaround?

Thanks,
John

2. bash: /dev/lp1: No such device

3. Can't get KDE to run at all in LinuxPPC 2000.

4. TCP/IP Intranet with linux???

5. Heres how to install KDE 2 on RH7 with KDE 1.x still running.

6. It's Here!!

7. update kde background while kde is running

8. adding a remote HP printer on Solaris 7

9. KDE and RedHat 6.1 - KDE doesn't run?

10. Switching to KDE under LinuxPPC

11. linuxppc/x/kde/matrox question

12. using KDE 2 on LinuxPPC 2000 Q4

13. How to make KDE the default under LinuxPPC