Mount point - Install LinuxPPC (Performa 6400)

Mount point - Install LinuxPPC (Performa 6400)

Post by Alber » Mon, 20 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Can anyone tell me how to define the "mount point". I read in the
RedHatManual:

"The next dialog presents a list of most of the disk partitions on your
system (including MS-DOS and other partitions Linux can read), giving
you the opportunity to assign other partitions to different parts of the
filesystem. The partitions you assign will be automatically mounted when
your Red Hat Linux system boots. Select the partition you wish to assign
and press [Enter] (or choose Edit); then enter the mount point for that
partition, e.g., /usr (see Figure 12)."

So, is the "mount point" the name of the partition, which I assigned
when formatting ?

Thank you
Albert

Post by Tom Harringt » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00

: Can anyone tell me how to define the "mount point". I read in the
: RedHatManual:

: "The next dialog presents a list of most of the disk partitions on your
: system (including MS-DOS and other partitions Linux can read), giving
: you the opportunity to assign other partitions to different parts of the
: filesystem. The partitions you assign will be automatically mounted when
: your Red Hat Linux system boots. Select the partition you wish to assign
: and press [Enter] (or choose Edit); then enter the mount point for that
: partition, e.g., /usr (see Figure 12)."

: So, is the "mount point" the name of the partition, which I assigned
: when formatting ?

That's where the drive appears in the Linux file tree once it's
mounted.  For example: Say I format /dev/hda5 as an ext2 partition
(Linux's standard format).  I can't get at it under Linux until
I mount it.  And in order to mount it, it must be attached to the
Linux file tree somehow.  Say I want /dev/hda5 to appear as /opt2/.
I'd do the following:

mkdir /opt2
mount -t ext2 /dev/hda5 /opt2

Then any files saved in /opt2 are saved on the /dev/hda5 partition.
In this case, /opt2 is the mount point.

You can set this up to happen automatically when the system boots
by editing /etc/fstab.  I think that the installer is basically
offering to set up /etc/fstab for you, according to the information
you supply.

--

   "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does
         not become a monster." -Nietzsche, "Beyond Good and Evil"

1. Performa 6400: LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 install issues

I just received my CD set from LinuxPPC Inc. and I'm having problems
booting from the disk or installing. I'm getting a black screen with
four lines of text with the last line being "booting...". The system
stays that way for several minutes (like over 5 minutes). I end up doing
a power restart. Once the system restarted itself ending up in MacOS.

The "User's Guide" says "Most Performas except the 6300 and 6400 cannot
boot from the CD or use LinuxPPC at all. Does anyone know of something
I've missed with regard to a 6400?

BTW
I'm attempting to install on a separate dedicated SCSI dive.

--
?   r a y m o n d  ?  p a u l  ?  c a l a n d e   ?

2. CD-ROM filenames

3. LinuxPPC install on a Performa 6400/200

4. Networking Performance

5. Network connections with LinuxPPC R4.1 on a Performa 6400

6. IP Masqueard

7. LinuxPPC in Performa 6400, anyone?

8. NON-destructive setup, HOW?

9. LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 installation on Performa 6400

10. Performa 6400 w/ linuxppc

11. cdrom not mounting on Performa 6400

12. Mount CD-ROM on Performa 6400?

13. Kernel Panic installing YDL 2.3 on Performa 6400