setting time zone

Post by Luca BOTTUR » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I have the following silly question. I cannot get my system to display
the right time. The macintosh (in mac-os) is OK, but the mklinux time
(including xclock) does not react to the fact that I simbolically link
(ln) the right time zone definition. Any suggestions ?

setting time zone

Post by Xronos DeLeg » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00

=I have the following silly question. I cannot get my system to display
=the right time. The macintosh (in mac-os) is OK, but the mklinux time
=(including xclock) does not react to the fact that I simbolically link
=(ln) the right time zone definition. Any suggestions ?

OK.
Here's another silly question. What did you link to what?

ls -l /etc/localtime
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           33 Jan 23 21:47 localtime ->
/usr/lib/zoneinfo/America/Chicago

Obviously, cern.ch isn't in the same time zone as /America/Chicago but if
you link local time to /usr/lib/zoneinfo/Europe/Zurich maybe you'll be a
little closer. So something on the order of -

ln -sf /usr/lib/zoneinfo/Europe/Zurich /etc/localtime

Or whatever your actual time zone might be... It should be in
/usr/lib/zoneinfo  There are hundreds of files in there...

--

           http://home.att.net/~xronos/mklinux.html
'Fewer Insect Parts By Weight than the Leading Brand'

setting time zone

Post by Luca BOTTUR » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> ln -sf /usr/lib/zoneinfo/Europe/Zurich /etc/localtime

> Or whatever your actual time zone might be... It should be in
> /usr/lib/zoneinfo  There are hundreds of files in there...

it works ! the funny thing is that while above is OK, the following does
not work:

cd  /usr/lib/zoneinfo/
ln -sf Europe/Zurich /etc/localtime

can you explain me why ? I do not see it...

setting time zone

Post by Geert Uytterhoeve » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> > ln -sf /usr/lib/zoneinfo/Europe/Zurich /etc/localtime

> > Or whatever your actual time zone might be... It should be in
> > /usr/lib/zoneinfo  There are hundreds of files in there...

> it works ! the funny thing is that while above is OK, the following does
> not work:

> cd  /usr/lib/zoneinfo/
> ln -sf Europe/Zurich /etc/localtime

> can you explain me why ? I do not see it...

Because symbolic links with relative paths are dereferenced relative to the
current directory of the link, and you probably don't have a file
/etc/Europe/Zurich.

Greetings,

                                                Geert

--