Bad Yellow Dog Linux! Bad! Bad!

Post by CodyCa » Mon, 23 Apr 2001 19:16:46

I had YDL running fine on my iMac with an existing MacOS partition.  Tried to
install ybin/yaboot.  I created a bootstrap partition, and then Linux wouldn't
boot at all.  It failed while processing inittab by respawning mingetty
relentlessly.  I tried to reinstall mingetty, but I couldn't figure out how to
rpm mingetty onto the root partition from the rescue kernel.  I tried to switch
mgetty for mingetty in inittab.  It didn't like that.  So I figured I'd just
reinstall YDL.  But now the installer can't read/find the partition map?

This really isn't Yellow Dog's fault, it's more like ybin's (and I used to
think Lilo was a PITA!).  But aside from wiping the drive completely, I'm not
sure what to do.  A few posts have talked about the mingetty problem, and a few
others about partition map errors, but not many solutions for either one, let
alone both of them.  At this point, I'm having more of a pdisk problem, as the
installer can't read the partition map no matter how I configure it.  If I
switch over to the install log console, it keeps complaining about there being
no scsi drive!?

I liked YDL quite a bit (although Netscape crashes it occasionally just like it
does to Debian on x86!), and I'm getting 2.0.  But, I see some people claiming
to run Debian on New World machines.  Are these people just winging it with an
unsupported distro?

Bad Yellow Dog Linux! Bad! Bad!

Post by Jeramy B Smit » Tue, 24 Apr 2001 13:04:05

I tried converting a ydl 1.2.1 system with yaboot and yaboot.conf on the
MacOS partition to a yaboot/ybin setup.

A. I made a 800k Apple_Bootstrap partition with parted
B. I upgraded pmac-utils to a version >= 2
C. I had to create the proper device node in /dev
D. I had to edit the yaboot.conf
E. I ran the ybin mojo

YDL2 will be fully ybin integrated on the good side with proper dev,
pmac-utils packages.

-jeramy b smith