Anbody port a USB modem to LinuxPPC?

Post by Daniel J. McKa » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Is there anybody out there who can port a USB modem to the 2.2.15pre3 kernel
that's included with the CD?  My modem is a Global Village Teleport USB 56k
v.90.

How long will it be for LinuxPPC to become stable enough for the home-user?

I'm hoping Mac OSX will have these issues worked out before it is released.

How close are the two operating systems to each other to each other?

Dan

--
Daniel J. McKay

1. USB Modems and LinuxPPC

     I know I've asked this question before, but I've noticed while
compiling v2.2.15pre19 that USB communications are supported by it.  The
problem is though, when I run menuconfig the conifigurator will not
allow the USB options to be embedded within the kernel.  Everytime I try
and hit the return key (to move from the "M" to a "*") the system beeps
and nothing happens.  I can continue through and the compiling goes
without fail but when I try to boot with the new kernel the USB ports
are not recognized.  So far I have been forced to use the precompiled
kernel I downloaded for booting with BootX.
     Is there anyone who has successfully configured either the
2.2.15pre19 or 2.3.99pre6 for a Yikes! G4/400?  I've been using the
instructions I downloaded for the 2.2.14pre9 kernel and I'm wondering if
there are some steps that I've been missing.  Do I need to include a ln
-s /usr/src/linux/include/usb/ usb to the 7th step in the instructions?
     If there is someone who knows the steps, please reply to this with
an instruction list.
my computer set-up:

Yikes! G4/400 w/ 256MB RAM
2 gig drive (1.9GB=root, 64MB=swap)
USB keyboard and 3 button Interex Scrolling USB mouse
USB 56k Global Village Teleport - will I need a special driver from GV
for it to run?
gPort serial adapter (fits into the internal modem slot and acts like a
serial port)

If you solve this for me you are indeed Superman!

thanks

Dan

2. RPC error messages when booting 2.1.103 (NFS client)

3. USB modem support with LinuxPPC

4. [What is it ? IPC$]

5. Can LinuxPPC use a Global Village USB modem?

6. Here Samba, Here Samba !!

7. USB modem for iMac/LinuxPPC??

8. remote printer

9. Mounting USB Zip and USB floppy on LinuxPPC 2000

10. USB port & modem

11. How do I configure a modem through a Keyspan USB to Serial port adapter

12. Cable Modem using USB port

13. Will a modem on a USB port work with Linux?