News server

Post by Matt » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Sorry to come to the group with this question, but I have yet to find any info
on setting up a news server or what software to use. I don't want to just have
a local server that copies from my ISP either since it blocks out all non
school related groups. thanks

on a side note.. i got the new kernal to work ok in console on my pmac 9500 but
i got an error when starting kde and mpg123 didn't find a dev resource, but
other than that, it seemed faster than the previos kernel.

News server

Post by Peter McDermot » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Sorry to come to the group with this question, but I have yet to find any info
> on setting up a news server or what software to use. I don't want to just have

Well, I use the INN binaries that came with the distribution. The best
info I found came from the INN newsgroup FAQ. An early copy comes with
the software, but you'd be better off finding a more up to date
version, IMO.

Quote:> a local server that copies from my ISP either since it blocks out all non
> school related groups. thanks

Then you'll have to find a public newsserver to take a feed
from as well. Sorry, I haven't a clue where you'd find
one of those.

--

1. help:feeding news to local news server

Hi all;

I am running redhat 6.2. My ISPs news server is news.adelaide.on.net
and my local news server is gtech. My news server is setup with innd
and pine and I can connect to my ISPs news server with slrn -h
news.adelaide.on.net.

How ddo I setup my system so my local news server will be feed news
from my ISPs news server. I perferr to only use whats available from
the redhat cdrom.

--Regards       David. E. Goble
             goble [AT] kin.net.au
          http://www.kin.net.au/goble
Po Box 648 Kingscote, Kangaroo Island, SA 5223

2. /dev/audio under linux

3. Linux as a news server with C-news

4. How to input non-ASCII characters in X/shell?

5. Setting up a news server (C News or INN)

6. USB Support

7. Mail 2 News for Netscape News server

8. URGENT HELP request

9. INN/nntp - news server for internal news?

10. in innd news server how to set some user can kill news ?

11. Problem with slrn news client and news server

12. news server software that "pulls" from another server?

13. news server + mail server