Connect fine via Kppp, but no 'net apps work...

Connect fine via Kppp, but no 'net apps work...

Post by Ralph Umar Miranda I » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00

    I'm pretty sure I set up everything correctly in Kppp (but I'm still
a newbie). All my settings are based on PPP and TCP/IP control panels in
MacOS. I apparently didn't have to*with the modem script in Kppp
to get it to work. NOTE: Setting the volume of the modem to anything BUT
zero gives an ERROR in Yellow Dog (maybe R5, too?). After actually,
successfully signing on to my ISP not Netscape nor any net programs
would work- kept giving me 'cannot find the server www.apple.com check
the URL and try again.' Oh well...back to the drawing board...
    Later...

Connect fine via Kppp, but no 'net apps work...

Post by Mohd H Misn » Sat, 31 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>    I'm pretty sure I set up everything correctly in Kppp (but I'm still
>a newbie). All my settings are based on PPP and TCP/IP control panels in
>MacOS. I apparently didn't have to*with the modem script in Kppp
>to get it to work. NOTE: Setting the volume of the modem to anything BUT
>zero gives an ERROR in Yellow Dog (maybe R5, too?). After actually,
>successfully signing on to my ISP not Netscape nor any net programs
>would work- kept giving me 'cannot find the server www.apple.com check
>the URL and try again.' Oh well...back to the drawing board...
>    Later...

Did you specified your DNS server?

--

|AMDK6-2/300/Linux2.2.10 | http://www.veryComputer.com/; |
-Length of a meeting is square the number of people there.

Post by James McMart » Sun, 01 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>   After actually,
>successfully signing on to my ISP not Netscape nor any net programs
>would work- kept giving me 'cannot find the server www.apple.com check
>the URL and try again.' Oh well...back to the drawing board...
>    Later...

Yo:

Definitely a nameserver/DNS problem. Make sure your nameserver (should be
four numbers like 198.23.2.222 etc.) is specified. Type "netcfg" in a
terminal window and put it in the dialog that comes up. If you don't know
it, get it from your ISP - it might even be on their support page. I had
the same problem and it really irritated me, but it was my fault for

you have any more questions (relating to this question - I am a newbie as
well, so I can't help w/any others...yet :) )

Hope this helps,

James

1. I'm connected via slip just fine, where are the base binaries?!?

I followed the NET2-HOWTO instructions and now have a CSLIP connection
running... But.. I don't have any docs on how to get and use such things as
ftp(d), telnet(d), fingerd (everyday daemons and clients)

Where are the latest binaries? (i found netkit-b-0.5)
How would I set up ftpd with anonymous access?

what is in.ftpd, in.telnetd ? are they the real daemons?

does inetd launch these on demand? should they be started elsewhere?

Is there a NET2-part2 doc around?

--

Atari Explorer Online: Internet Editor --- GEnie: AEO.8
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^+->X/Unix, and MS-DOS

2. x 3.3.2 setup for trident dm975

3. X Apps Won't Launch When KPPP is Connected

4. Best X-Windows manager to use

5. Can't start apps after kppp connected

6. Laptop install?

7. samba: 'net view \\server' works, 'net view' fails

8. Fixed Frequnecy video card support on a PC

9. Connect to RH5.1 via PPP works, but cannot get out to net

10. Mdk9.0 KPPP connects fine, but no access to news/http/ftp

11. connections via kppp don't work??

12. connecting to 'net via linux

13. Diablo/Battle.net via Linux and IP masqurade WORKS, here's how