Stylewriter Compatible?

Post by Gre » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to print on a Stylewriter 2500 using
LinuxPCC v4.0? If it can be done even as ASCII text please explain?
Thanks

Stylewriter Compatible?

Post by Geoffrey KEATIN » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to print on a Stylewriter 2500 using
> LinuxPCC v4.0? If it can be done even as ASCII text please explain?
> Thanks

I don't know specifically about the 2500; I have a 4500.  However:

- Usually these printers are based on HP or Epson print engines.  The
first step is to find out which one.  The 4500, for instance, uses the same
(or a similar) print engine as the HP Deskjet 550c.  It may help to see
which printers use the same kind of ink cartridge.

- Next, find linux software that will drive this print engine.
Probably the first place to look is ghostscript, which knows a good
range of printers.

- Next, you need to actually talk to the printer.  The 4500, for
instance, can be directly connected through the serial ports, in which
case you want /dev/cua1 for the printer port.  Or it can be on a
network using AppleTalk, in which case you want to use CAP to talk to
it (which is what I do).

- Finally, you may want to have a proper print spooling architecture.
This is the same on x86 and ppc linux, it's a lot of fun to set up, and
there's substantial documentation on it in the HOWTOs.

As a possible shortcut, you might try just sending a few lines of text
to the printer to see what it does with them:

echo 'Hey, does this work?' > /dev/cua1

This sounds way too easy, but...

--

Stylewriter Compatible?

Post by Matthew Pritzke » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> > Can anyone tell me if it is possible to print on a Stylewriter 2500 using
> > LinuxPCC v4.0? If it can be done even as ASCII text please explain?
> > Thanks

> I don't know specifically about the 2500; I have a 4500.  However:

> - Usually these printers are based on HP or Epson print engines.  The
> first step is to find out which one.  The 4500, for instance, uses the same
> (or a similar) print engine as the HP Deskjet 550c.  It may help to see
> which printers use the same kind of ink cartridge.

Only the StyleWriter 4500 and 6500 were based on HP designs; all other
StyleWriters were based on Canon designs.

--
--------------------
Matthew Pritzker                Graduate Research Assistant

Stylewriter Compatible?

Post by Steven D. Majews » Tue, 15 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Can anyone tell me if it is possible to print on a Stylewriter 2500 using
>LinuxPCC v4.0? If it can be done even as ASCII text please explain?
>Thanks

 I was able to print styled text to my StyleWriter 2400 from MkLinux
on my 6100/66. ( 2400 must be pretty similar to 2500 -- they don't
seem to ship 2400 drivers with MacOS anymore, so I've been using the
2500 driver under 8.5 with no problems. )

 I don't know if you can get graphics -- I only installed MkLinux this
weekend, and on the first trial run, trying out a couple of apps, I
gave it a try and it actually worked.

---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  University of *ia             Health Sciences Center  |---
---|  P.O. Box 10011            C*tesville, VA  22906-0011  |---

Boies cautioned Judge Jackson that Microsoft will attempt to portray these
meetings as the work of Microsoft employees with "important titles" who
"weren't really executives."   <http://www.veryComputer.com/;

Stylewriter Compatible?

Post by Sven-S. Por » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>  I was able to print styled text to my StyleWriter 2400 from MkLinux
> on my 6100/66. ( 2400 must be pretty similar to 2500 -- they don't
> seem to ship 2400 drivers with MacOS anymore, so I've been using the
> 2500 driver under 8.5 with no problems. )

>  I don't know if you can get graphics -- I only installed MkLinux this
> weekend, and on the first trial run, trying out a couple of apps, I
> gave it a try and it actually worked.

I am using a StyleWriter II but I guess all the StyleWriter printers
seem to be used with stylps. So I guess text and Graphics should work
with a SW 2500, too. There is also a nice color mode (whose name I don't
recall exactly). The control-panel tool features a nice utility for
printer configuration with test-pages etc. Perhaps this will help you.

          Sven

PGP Key ID 0x5E4FC159          http://www.stud.uni-goettingen.de/~sporst

Stylewriter Compatible?

Post by S. Schuber » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to print on a Stylewriter 2500 using
> LinuxPCC v4.0? If it can be done even as ASCII text please explain?
> Thanks

I can print with LinuxPPC on a StyleWriter 1200.
The packages I did need were included in LinuxPPC. You can print ASCII
Text and with ghostscript graphics too.

Sebastian

1. Stylewriter

Has someone used a MacIntosh StylewriteII on a LINUX system?

I would like to use it with my notebook at home, where it is
collecting dust on the MAC.

Thanx in advance

Eildert Groeneveld

Eildert Groeneveld
Institut fuer Tierzucht und Tierverhalten
Mariensee

2. Change of distribution?

3. Using apple stylewriter with linux

4. Linux setup doesn't allow me to install on partitions!!!??

5. Is it possible to use a StyleWriter 1500 as remote printer?

6. nasty SDT-9000 & Linux trouble

7. WindowMaker; Printing with a StyleWriter ala Valentines

8. Question 'bout NFS and a Failed Server

9. Apple Stylewriter with a PC with RH4.2?

10. stylewriter driver for netbsd

11. Printer Apple StyleWriter II

12. Has anyone gotten a StyleWriter 1500 to work?

13. Stylewriter II and lpr