Driver for ethernet card with DEC 21041 Chip?

Driver for ethernet card with DEC 21041 Chip?

Post by Karl-Michael Schindl » Sat, 04 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I need a DR3 kernel which supports a Kingston ethernet card with a Digital
21041-PA chip. Could somebody supply me with such a kernel or give me
instructions how to build one with a changed tulip.c file (what are the
according the source files and where do I get them, how are they compiled,
where do they have to go, ...)

The Details:

I installed MKLinux DR3 on my PowerMac 4400/200. With some fiddling around
I managed to get it running, but only with the ethernet card removed. It is
from Kingston with the DEC 21041-PA chip. With the card it crashes with an
error message related to the ethernet card. Also I read some related docs
on the net about cards with this chip are not supported/cause problems. So,
I am pretty sure that this is the problem. To solve the problem it was
recommended to change the tulip.c file and to recompile the kernel. Now,
this is where I got stuck. I could not find the tulip.c file. Furthermore,
I don't know which files I need to build the kernel.

Thanks a lot - Michael.
--
Dr. Karl-Michael Schindler
Martin-Luther-Universit?t Halle-Wittenberg

email: michael(AT)ep3.uni-halle.de

Tel. (0345) 55 25563  Telefax (0345) 55 27160

1. DEC 21041 chip support with Kingston PCI ethernet

Hi,

I would like to know if the Kingston Technology bus mastering PCI card
called the EtheRx works with the generic DEC 2104x driver.  The
Ethernet HOWTO says that it _may_ run depending on how the
manufacturer programs some GPR.

If the Kingston driver does not work, could you please reccomend
another moderately priced ($50 US) card that I can buy from Datacomm
warehouse that is based on the same chip set.

PS. I am planning on installing Linux for the 1st time ever, and so I
would like to know if I have to reinstall it if I add an ethernet card
later.

Thanks,
Salim

--

"The totalitarian system of thought control is far less effective than the
 democratic one, since the official doctrine parroted by the intellectuals

2. DNS

3. Problem with DEC 21041 based Ethernet card on ASUS PC

4. link programs statically

5. DEC 21041 ethernet card on irq 9??

6. Search engine package_name --> patch_id... ?

7. share IRQ of SMC PCI Ethernet Card(DEC 21041) + SCSI Host Adapter

8. Microsoft Myopia

9. Debian Etch, DEC 21041 NIC chip set

10. Network Problem (DEC Chip 21041)

11. Q:SMC EtherPower 10baseT PCI, with a DEC 21041 chip

12. DEC 21041 PCI Ethernet configuration

13. drivers for DEC 21041 NIC