LinuxPPC and PB1400s (FW: from nubus-LinuxPPC list)

LinuxPPC and PB1400s (FW: from nubus-LinuxPPC list)

Post by Jimmy Eth » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 03:31:50

Okay,

It's been a fun battle, but I finally got LinuxPPC installed on my
Powerbook. Now I am trying to start up using the kernel for normal
boot with Mklinux Booter and I'm getting the dreaded "Kernel panic: No
init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.". I've tried several
methods I found via previous posts regarding editing the lilo.conf,
but so far nothing has worked. Here is a *very* detailed rundown of my
system and the installation procedure I used:

Powerbook 1400c/133MHz
48MB RAM
1 GIG drive

First, I partitioned my drive (all HFS for now... read on) using
Apple's Harddrive Setup as follows:

200MB MacOS
128MB swap
200MB /
400MB /usr
100MB /home

(Note: this is the partitioning scheme that I have decided will work
best for my minimal use of this box as a testing ground for scripts...
ie. little /home needs. These partitions were also named Untitled 1,
2, 3, etc. by Drive Setup. They will be renamed correctly later with
PerlDisk inside the LinuxPPC installer)

Next I installed a minimal MacOS system and on the first partition.
Mklinux Booter is our only option on the PB1400s, so I installed the
appropriate files into the appropriate folders as instructed in the
Mklinux docs. Then I replaced the Mklinux version of Mach Kernel with
the Mach Kernel w/ installer (MachKernel-LPPC2kQ4-20010613.gz) from
the http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/ site.

Next I edited the lilo.conf for installation using:
rootdev=/dev/ram
mach_options= ramdisk=8192

The Q4 CD installer does not have a driver that will make the 8X
CD-ROM work during install. So, I had to copy the Linux2000Q4
(LinuxPPC_JP) installation to the (currently HFS) /usr partition of my
harddrive. The idea here is to get the installation working and
reformat the /usr partition later and copy over the few /usr/local
files.

Due to my limited harddrive space, I could only copy over enough of
the installer for "basic" installation. Once I get the CD-ROM patch
working, I'll install any other packages I desire from the CD. I was
able to find out exactly which packages were needed for basic
installation by opening the "package_info" document found in the
software folder with BBEdit and searching for "Basic System
(default):". I copied all the listed files into a new "software"
folder on my /usr partition. I also copied to the /usr partition the
"live", "Linux Kernels" and "Documentation" folders as well as the
"Makefile", "ramdisk.image.gz", "Getting Started", "ReadMe" and
"software.mph" files (I'm sure they were not all necessary, but I was
playing it safe).

I rebooted into Linux via the Mklinux Booter window and it worked!
Only problem I ran into now was that the PerlDisk window only
displayed in Japanese. :) But thanks to Tyler Smith's insistence, I
simply guessed my way through it using the PerlDisk documentation.
After some tinkering, I got it to work. I changed my swap, /, and
/home partition types to Apple_UNIX_SVR2 (and also changed the
partition names to correspond). Hit Quit (far right button). Hit
Destructive Save (left button on the pop-up window). Hit Reboot (again
far left on pop-up).

System rebooted back through Mklinux into the installer. I selected
the Partitions button again, checked to ensure my names were right.
Hit "Format" for swap, /, and /home. Put in Mount Points to correspond
to the partition names (swap, /, and /home) and hit the "Mount" button
for each. I also hit the "swapon" button to turn on swap. Again hit
"Quit" and rebooted.

Now I was ready for install. Once back in the X installer window, I
selected the packages button. Selected "basic" installation. Hit
start. Everything was installed correctly. Woohoo!

Okay, I've supplied that ridiculously detailed procedure not only so
that the more knowledgeable listmembers can point out potential
mistakes I made... but also in the hopes that it might help some
future PB1400 users (or the like) to get going with LinuxPPC2000Q4. I
couldn't have gotten this far without the help of former listmember
Paulo and the back posts of Takashi Oe (is he still on list?), and it
has taken me a few (partial) days to get this far even with that.

So back to my current dilemma...

Now that it is installed, I am trying to boot up LinuxPPC via the
Mklinux Booter again. This time I have exchanged the Mach Kernel used
for installation with the one found on the
http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/ site listed as "Required for
LinuxPPC2000-Q4 and YDL 2.0" (MachKernel-input-20010619.gz). I have
also changed my lilo.conf to:

rootdev=dev/hda8 (which is were my / resides)

and I commented out the mach_options line. Rebooted and got the

"Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel."

Then I went back and added back in a new mach_options line to read:

mach_options=ramdisk_size=8192 video=nbpmacfb:

and still got the

"Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel."

Any ideas here? I feel like I'm so close!!

Thanks!

Ryan

1. linuxppc on NuBus Mac?

I'd like to run linux on a PowerMac 8100.  The faq-o-matic has a list of
compatibility issues which states that the NuBus Macs are only supported
by mklinux, not by linuxppc.  The linuxppc home page has a more recent
update date, and says "almost all PowerMacs are now supported".  It's not
clear to me whether that is still limited to PCI-bus machines or now
includes NuBus platforms as well.  Anyone know whether it does?  I'd
prefer linuxppc if I can run it.  TIA -Lee

--
Lee Green MD MPH          Disclaimer: My postings are my doing, not
Family Practice           a service of nor in any way the

Delete the Z from my e-mail address, it's just there to foil spambots.

PGP public key on MIT keyserver
Verisign public key available from Verisign, Inc.

2. GCC 2.7.2.2 on Solaris 2.5

3. LinuxPPC and NuBus Macs...

4. LINUX SEEDY ROMS

5. nubus Kernel in LinuxPPC 2000

6. Finding out if a program is already running

7. LinuxPPC on NuBus PowerMacs?

8. Database Modeling Tool For Linux/X Windows

9. LinuxPPC on NuBus Macs?

10. LinuxPPC on NuBus machines?

11. Porting LinuxPPC to NuBus PowerMacs?

12. Full LinuxPPC 2000 at ftp.linuxppc.org ??

13. LinuxPPC vs. LinuxPPC Lite