final touch to the setup of LinuxPPC 99Q3 in iBook, help

final touch to the setup of LinuxPPC 99Q3 in iBook, help

Post by Emmanuel Micho » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I managed to install successfully LinuxPPC 1999 Q3 on a iBook with
Ben's kernel.

Well, three things are unclear:

* there is a trackpad with only one button, I would like to
use two keys on the keyboard to emulate second and third button
under X. I saw news articles saying something like

adb_buttons=52,72

as boot parameters would do the job, (like this it would put
second button as ``fn'' and third button as the strange ``enter''
at the right of space key) but it does nothing --- how is it
configured by default?

* is there a way I can access the battery status?

* what's the status of the sound card support for this machine?

--
Emmanuel Michon
Ingnieur en dveloppement logiciel

final touch to the setup of LinuxPPC 99Q3 in iBook, help

Post by Michael Schmit » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00

 adb_buttons=52,72

Quote:

> as boot parameters would do the job, (like this it would put
> second button as ``fn'' and third button as the strange ``enter''
> at the right of space key) but it does nothing --- how is it
> configured by default?

On a Lombard powerbook, 103,111 uses F11 and F12 for mouse buttons. The
fn key alone doesn't produce any keycodes BTW.

Quote:> * is there a way I can access the battery status?

The pmud package does this.

        Michael

1. Trouble Booting LinuxPPC on iBook

OK. I think I've managed to install LinuxPPC on my iBook. However, I
can't get it to boot.

I've created the following partitions:

Macintosh HD (Main Mac OS 9 partition)
Share        (HFS Partition, 512 Meg)
/            (root Linux_PPC partition)
/boot        (a small (32 MB, I think) partitions for booting)

and installed the LinuxPPC packages.

From this point, I tried to take my cue from Mike Palczewski's "iBook
Linux HowTo" and so...

1) I grabbed yaboot (.9), and as instructed, I put it in
the top most directory of my hard drive (it didn't say which partition,
but since it said "not the desktop," I assumed the main Mac OS
partition).

2) I copied his yaboot file and stuck it in right next to yaboot:

      init-message = ``nWelcome to LinuxPPC!''
      timeout = 50
      default = LinuxPPC
      image = hd:9,/boot/vmlinux.2.2.15pre3
      label = LinuxPPC
      append=``video=atyfb''
      adb_buttons=``103,111''

3) I booted into open firmware, and typed:

   0> boot hd:6,yaboot

and in response, yaboot starts, loads all 175 bytes of the file, and
I get:

      error near line 5 (which is the label = LinuxPPC line)

So, what am I not doing right? A full detail of partitions follows.....

-Weston

#  TITLE          NAME     TYPE
1  Partition Map     Apple    Apple_partition_map
2  Free Space        Extra    Apple_Free
3  SCSI Driver       Macintosh   Apple_Driver43
4  IDE Driver        Macintosh   Apple_Driver_ATA
5  Apple Patches     Patch PartitApple_Patches
6  Macintosh HD      MacOS    Apple_HFS
7  Share          MacOS    Apple_HFS
8  Custom            /        Linux_PPC
9  /boot          /boot    Apple_HFS
10 Custom            swap     Linux_PPC
11 Driver Objects    FWB Driver  FWB Driver Compnents
                  Components
12 Active IDE Driver Macintosh   Apple_Driver_ATA
13 Free Space        Extra    Apple_Free

--

2. Q on SMC Ultra

3. New iBook - YDL, LinuxPPC newbie former PC Linux guy

4. hdc: tray open or drive not ready

5. LinuxPPC for iBook

6. Dump/restore 0.4b23 released.

7. trouble with linuxPPC Q4 on iBook

8. very strange mouse problems

9. IBook & LinuxPPC 2000 ......

10. Disabling iBook Touchpad (LinuxPPC) ?

11. Is it not possible to install LinuxPPC on iBook SE 366 ???

12. LinuxPPC on an iBook?

13. sound under linuxppc on ibook