G3 offer for help and request for help

Post by John Apfelbau » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have LinuxPPC Release 4 installed on the internal IDE drive on my G3
desktop.  I can boot without a floppy, I have good X resolution on my
21" monitor, and ppp works (sort of -- see below).

I am willing to help others get this far.

I would like some help with my remaining problems:

1.  kppp only works when I am logged in as root.  If I log on as a user,
not only does it not work, but then it still does not work if I log back
on as root.  I must reboot to get kppp to work again.  The symptom is
that it seems to ignore responces from my modem.  It will not dial.  The
terminal says that it is waiting for OK from the modem.  /dev/modem is
lninked to /dev/cua0, and I tried messing about with the permissions of
/dev/modem, but I have had no luck.

2.  Despite having good resolution (I added vmode 18,16 to my
rc.local),  I get only 8 bits/pixel.  I should have enough vram to do
this.  I don't seem to be able to get more than 8ppb at any resolution.

3.  I have no sound at all.  I tried changing the Major device numbers
of the audio devices as it says in man sndvolmix, but no luck.

--- Thanks for any help.

--- John

Post by Bertjan Buss » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

[...]

Hi,

Sorry for the empty previous posting; a slip of the fingers.

We've been trying to install LinuxPPcv4 (kernel 2.1.25) on a G3
PowerMac. I have some experience woth Linux on Intel's but this is my
first Mac :) I am not that familiar with Mac terminilogy ...

Linux installs, but boots only from flop. The problem seems to be the
boot-device (using one of OF, BootX, Boot Variables, or
MultiBooter). Pdisk mentiones that our partitions live on ata0.0 (we
have a 2,5Gd HFS partition for MacOS (/dev/hda5), 1,5 Gb
APPLE_UNIX_... for Linux (/dev/hda6), and a swap space
(/dev/hda7)). However, the OF does not recognize /dev/ata0.0 as a
device. There are devices (listed with OF cmd "devalias") called
"ata-int", "ide", "ide0", "ide1", "scsi*", most of wehich have a

The question now is: How do I determine what my boot-device is?

Thanks in advance,
bertjan

[...]

Post by Bertjan Buss » Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,

I got it booting from the HD. Thanks for all your help, guys.

BTW, I used fixg3.tar.gz instead of a regular bootloader. It seems
likely we had a broken ZIP-drive, at least none of the bootloaders
functioned.
I forgot where I picked up the fixg3.tar.gz but it came from a certain
"Harry". I still got it somewhere, so if there are folks out there
with the same problems, and want to try this, mail me!

Oh, what/where is the XF86Config file, or whatever one is supposed to
use to configure X on a linuxppc box?

Bertjan