8 Gigabyte limit? or, Yaboot problem

Post by robe » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 04:09:33

I am trying to determine why i can't get my installation of linux to boot
up properly..  I heard a rumor that the 'new world' rom macs can not
access an operating system after the first 8 Gbytes..

Is there substance to this?  Can anyone direct me to the facts on this
matter?
Here is my attempted setup..
   hda1 - 7 misc Apple parts
   hda8  HFS  14 Gbyte   (macOS 9 area)
   hda9  HFS    25 Meg   /boot   (w/ 'fake' sys folder/yaboot.conf/etc)
   hda10  ext2 1 Gbyte   /root
   hda11  ext2 2 Gbyte   /usr
   hda12  ext2 2 Gbyte   /home
   hda13  swap  128 Meg    swap

What am I missing?  I finally made a CD (linuxPPC) that would boot my
dual-G4 (using Ultra-safe mode) and allowed me to install the system
and packages..  but, I can't make it boot itself..
(trying to use Yaboot.. )

Any leads or advice is much appreciated
robert

8 Gigabyte limit? or, Yaboot problem

Post by Eric Deveau » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 17:48:27

Quote:> I am trying to determine why i can't get my installation of linux to boot
> up properly..  I heard a rumor that the 'new world' rom macs can not
> access an operating system after the first 8 Gbytes..

> Is there substance to this?  Can anyone direct me to the facts on this
> matter?
> Here is my attempted setup..
>    hda1 - 7 misc Apple parts
>    hda8  HFS  14 Gbyte   (macOS 9 area)
>    hda9  HFS    25 Meg   /boot   (w/ 'fake' sys folder/yaboot.conf/etc)

err.... read <URL:http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/> the mac-fdisk
section and also the yaboot/ybin section.
you need an Apple_Bootstrap partition. not an HFS crappy /boot
partition...

after that you edit the /etc/yaboot.conf file and run ybin.

        Eric

--

Quote:> [Linux] c'est une philosophie un art de vivre, un tat intrieur,
> une sorte de fluide qui nous entoure et nous pntre.

Fais tourner stp !
-+- Guillaume in Guide du linuxien pervers - "Tous drogus j'vous dis !"

8 Gigabyte limit? or, Yaboot problem

Post by Antoni Arna » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 19:47:21

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001 10:48:27 +0200, Eric Deveaud wrote

Quote:> err.... read <URL:http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/> the mac-fdisk
> section and also the yaboot/ybin section.
> you need an Apple_Bootstrap partition. not an HFS crappy /boot
> partition...

> after that you edit the /etc/yaboot.conf file and run ybin.

>    Eric

This is Ok but when you (Robert) say that you mount a "/root" partition, is:

a "/" partition ? or
a "/root" partition ?

because you need a "/" partition (root) and this is different than a "/root"
partition.

A "/root" partition is the superuser's home.

--
Antoni Arnau

 Posted with Hogwasher. Mac first, Mac only:
     http://www.asar.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?58/hogwasher.html

Post by D.M. Proci » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 23:05:47

> I am trying to determine why i can't get my installation of linux to boot
> up properly..  I heard a rumor that the 'new world' rom macs can not
> access an operating system after the first 8 Gbytes..

> Is there substance to this?  Can anyone direct me to the facts on this
> matter?

I don't know how this affects Linux, but Beige G3s and early iMacs
(tray-loading) won't startup from a System Folder that lies beyond the
first 8GB of any disk.

So a partition that begins at 10GB definitely can't be a startup
partition, and one that spans (say) 6GB to 12GB may or may not,
depending on where the System folder is (or rather, the relevant
component) of that System folder.

Daniele
--
A multipart copy & paste encyclopaedia of popular music for you to keep

38. Nearly every song which begins with a piano will overstay its
welcome.

Post by Eric Deveau » Mon, 23 Jul 2001 15:53:37

> I don't know how this affects Linux, but Beige G3s and early iMacs
> (tray-loading) won't startup from a System Folder that lies beyond the
> first 8GB of any disk.

> So a partition that begins at 10GB definitely can't be a startup
> partition, and one that spans (say) 6GB to 12GB may or may not,
> depending on where the System folder is (or rather, the relevant
> component) of that System folder.

there's no [roblem if you put the Apple_Bootstrap partition at the
begining of the disk.
the aprtition map should loook like
Apple Partition map
MacOS drivers
Apple_Bootstrap partition
whatever you want for MacOS/linux

this way the 8 Gb si not a problem.

        Eric

--

Quote:> Que pensez vous de l'ajout du repertoire point dans $PATH ?

Ma version de troll 18.0.32 beta 3 vient de me faire un core dump.
-+- SE in Guide du Linuxien Pervers : Bien dvelopper son troll -+-

8 Gigabyte limit? or, Yaboot problem

Post by Antoni Arna » Mon, 23 Jul 2001 23:31:34

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 21:09:33 +0200, robert wrote

Quote:> Here is my attempted setup..
>    hda1 - 7 misc Apple parts
>    hda8  HFS  14 Gbyte   (macOS 9 area)
>    hda9  HFS    25 Meg   /boot   (w/ 'fake' sys folder/yaboot.conf/etc)
>    hda10  ext2 1 Gbyte   /root
>    hda11  ext2 2 Gbyte   /usr
>    hda12  ext2 2 Gbyte   /home
>    hda13  swap  128 Meg    swap

I show you my partition map:

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hda'
 #:                type name              length   base     ( size )

1.              Partition No. 14:        for particular purposes (a place to save some files
                       but is not necessary)
2.              Partition No. 15:  mounted as "/exchange", for exchanging between MacOS
                       and Linux.
3.  Partition No. 12:  mounted as "/"

With my partition map I don't have any problem (It could be of assistance),
and I have a balanced partitionship (all partitions are ~50% full/empty)

My computer is a Titanium G4, 256 MB, 20 GB HD.

--
Antoni Arnau

 Posted with Hogwasher. Mac first, Mac only:
     http://www.asar.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?58/hogwasher.html

8 Gigabyte limit? or, Yaboot problem

Post by robe » Tue, 24 Jul 2001 05:15:28

thanks everyone, for the posts so far..
    It looks like Antoni's partition map shows the bootstrap
partition past the 14th Gigabyte..  So, maybe I can still correct
my installation without having to reformat the drive.

If anyone knows of a resource that verifies the MacOS system
MUST be placed within the 8Gb limit, I would appreciate it..
  but, since macOS is installed first on my hard drive, and
only linux will be on the latter part of my drive, maybe I'm ok..

Does this limit apply to OSX as well?  I read on eric's link that
MacOSX should be on an Apple_UFS partition..  Is this the same as
the Apple_UnixSVR..etc..  file system?  I have not heard of UFS,
only HFS and HFS+..   thanks again.
-robert

8 Gigabyte limit? or, Yaboot problem

Post by Peter Thalman » Tue, 24 Jul 2001 06:28:45

Create a small boot partition (usually 3MB or grater if you plan to have
different kernels) befor tat limitation and you are fine.

Peter

Post by Eric Deveau » Tue, 24 Jul 2001 17:05:01

> Create a small boot partition (usually 3MB or grater if you plan to have
> different kernels) befor tat limitation and you are fine.

if you mean an HFS partition ???  this is BULLSHIT......

you just have to setup  a small 800K Apple_Bootstrap partition.
in first position after the MacOS drivers (if you plan keep a multi OS
machine) or just after the Apple partition Map (if youy plan to have a
linux only machine)
this partition will hold yaboot, yaboot.conf, and menuofboot, the OF
bootscript.

after that you can hold as much kernels you want on the ext2 side.

PLEASE PLEASE if you're using a NewWorl (titanium is one of thoose) read
the yaboot/ybin section in either penguinppc or ethan benson site.

and PLEASE PLEASE forget the pseudo system folder way of boot, this is
just a piece of crap.

        Eric

--
L'eleve, comme la riviere, aimerait suivre son cours tout  en
restant  dans  son  lit       [Albert Camus]

1. yaboot/yaboot.conf?

iMac, Rev D.  YDL; everything has installed, but it WON'T BOOT into
Linux to save my arce!
*I've changed yaboot.conf per recommendations to place \\\\ where \\ is
(erroneously) found.
*Yaboot, yaboot.conf, vmlinux and bootscript is in Systems Folder.
*I've rebooted into OF, typed "setenv boot-device hd:,\\bootscript"
<CR>
boot <CR>
...but I'm back in Mac OS no matter what I do (yes, I'm holding down the
spacebar for dual boot).  Nowhere in the yaboot.conf, however, is /root=
location specified (in my case, /dev/hda6).  Should it be?  If so,
where--exactly?

I've gone through the entire install process three times and taken
notes, but I can't see what I'm missing.

I really don't want to buy OS X.  Help!

-Jack

2. Solaris 7, Stack growth, and Boehm GC

3. 2 Gigabyte file limit with C++ iostreams

4. Restricted Shell

5. Suse 7.0 for PowerPC on B&W G3 400 yaboot problem

6. Video card settings

7. yaboot problems

8. Need help!!!

9. iMac open firmware problems and yaboot - YDL

10. problem with yaboot/ybin on iBook

11. Yaboot problem

12. yaboot problem

13. yaboot problems G4